Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:46:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: wikileaks "Bitcoins cannot be easily tracked back to you" WTF??  (Read 2955 times)
Bro (OP)

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:34:30 AM

Donate by Bitcoin

Bitcoin is a secure and anonymous digital currency. Bitcoins cannot be easily tracked back to you, and are safer and faster alternative to other donation methods. You can send BTC to the following address:

1HB5XMLmzFVj8ALj6mfBsbifRoD4miY36v  

Various sites offer a service to exchange other currency to/from Bitcoins. There are also services allowing trades of goods for Bitcoins. Bitcoins are not subject to central regulations and are still gaining value. To learn more about Bitcoins, visit the website (http://bitcoin.org) or read more on Wikipedia.

For maximum security and anonymity, you can request a one-time Bitcoin address. To do so, please join our IRC and type /msg Bitcoin new. Our helpful bot will generate a new donation address for each transaction. Please make sure Bot is active on #bitcoin channel and has @ to the left of his nick.

http://shop.wikileaks.org/donate#dbitcoin

WTF, right? Bitoins are highly traceable
and coming from wikileaks, nothing less.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:39:38 AM

Donate by Bitcoin

Bitcoin is a secure and anonymous digital currency. Bitcoins cannot be easily tracked back to you, and are safer and faster alternative to other donation methods. You can send BTC to the following address:

Various sites offer a service to exchange other currency to/from Bitcoins. There are also services allowing trades of goods for Bitcoins. Bitcoins are not subject to central regulations and are still gaining value. To learn more about Bitcoins, visit the website (http://bitcoin.org) or read more on Wikipedia.

For maximum security and anonymity, you can request a one-time Bitcoin address. To do so, please join our IRC and type /msg Bitcoin new. Our helpful bot will generate a new donation address for each transaction. Please make sure Bot is active on #bitcoin channel and has @ to the left of his nick.

Bitcoins are ultimately untraceable provided the users cares to not reuse any of his addresses.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 10:41:23 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2012, 11:04:42 AM by Meni Rosenfeld

It's not easy to to figure out which addresses belong to a given person. Case in point, I don't think it was ever done.

Bitcoins are ultimately untraceable provided the users cares to not reuse any of his addresses.
That's not true. The main problem isn't reusing addresses, it's merging outputs.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 10:51:32 AM

That's not true. The main problem isn't reusing addresses, it's merging outputs.
+1, instawallet FTW

andTo86

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:03:56 PM

What this means is that they have no idea how to do it.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:08:39 PM

It's not easy to to figure out which addresses belong to a given person. Case in point, I don't think it was ever done.

Yep, learnt another thing today.  Grin
h00ters

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 05:25:41 PM

+1, instawallet FTW

The fact its online does not mean its secure. Security thru ob-security does not work. *sigh*
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 06:44:37 PM

If I wanted to, I could put some effort into it and obtain coins with extremely low probability of being identified. I could then donate to wl, again without much exposure. Of course, if someone had amazing resources at hand that they can dedicate to tracking me down, it's probably doable, but only if they knew beforehand. All in all, today it is relatively easy for a determined individual to donate anonymously, and extremely costly for anyone to crack that nut.

Finally, if I really wanted to donate to wl, I would do it without any obscurity - it's not illegal to give them money.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 07:33:48 PM

Donate by Bitcoin

So, let's do an experiment.  Here's a transaction that I just randomly picked to Wikileak's public address as you posted it above.  And here's the request:  Identify the person who made that transaction.

GO!

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 07:39:49 PM

With just a cursory look, I can tell you that the following addresses belong to you:
1ApQ87FJbjQCxNxwsHgvkYPEwfRhdvj3mE
19BMM9q378xM3k8Afpbhpq1nAJJeQrGZvy
1L7JGxAJyPdeub19air92YoyvU7HsquZNF
1KgyyHBg4oAyUc1YjbL73MjLiUv7bvYJmX
197ZQJdbMaZMkSWxvDAmT8kqhgraLD13VU
1GZuqj98TNipqxm7iULpdbuWc33sWehHPm
1Mho7R9VuPdacY6SWr53h7ThjRnX1D8mab

+1, instawallet FTW

The fact its online does not mean its secure. Security thru ob-security does not work. *sigh*
Your password is security through obscurity, so yes, it does work.
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 07:52:11 PM

+1, instawallet FTW

I'd probably do coins -> instawallet -> torwallet -> silkroad -> wikileaks if I really wanted to hide the trail.. If anyone can get all 3 services to give you up your screwed anyway.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 07:55:43 PM

I think that statement is true. It is not easy to track them back to you. There may be only a few thousand people on Earth who know how.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
malaimult

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 09:36:51 PM

so it's traceable or not?

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:19:11 PM

A pretty accurate answer would be: It can be untraceable if you take extra precautions and know what you're doing.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:23:02 PM

Depends on how you look at it.

Picking a random transaction out of the blockchain and trying to figure out who it is is next to impossible.

Asking for a payment from someone you are trying to track, or paying someone you are trying to track, can make it much easier to find and track that individual's activities.
bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 10:28:07 PM

Depends on how you look at it.

Picking a random transaction out of the blockchain and trying to figure out who it is is next to impossible.

Asking for a payment from someone you are trying to track, or paying someone you are trying to track, can make it much easier to find and track that individual's activities.

this ^^

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
Bro (OP)

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:08:06 PM

So, let's do an experiment.  Here's a transaction that I just randomly picked to Wikileak's public address as you posted it above.  And here's the request:  Identify the person who made that transaction.

GO!

that's ridiculous, I do not have a backdoor access to all credit card/bank transactions, all gmail emails, etc like the US agencies do (and thousands of other things I can't think of)

and the context is wikileaks, not me

who is wikileaks' enemy? the USA. is it easy for them to 'track back to you'? hell yes
malaimult

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:20:51 PM

everything it's traceable.
cash aren't. so the best thing it's cash in hand. btc on paper

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:35:10 PM

GO!

that's ridiculous, I do not have a backdoor access to all credit card/bank transactions, all gmail emails, etc like the US agencies do (and thousands of other things I can't think of)

and the context is wikileaks, not me

who is wikileaks' enemy? the USA. is it easy for them to 'track back to you'? hell yes

But you can make bitcoin donations to wikileaks without using credit cards, bank transactions, or traceable email accounts.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
malaimult

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:37:33 PM

ok so the address it's traceable. but trace to what? no isp no psychical address

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: