Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:44:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin chai re-import doesn't show any bslanace  (Read 3164 times)
hoonius (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:36:48 AM

Hi

Used bitcoinfog to transfer coins from various wallets so i could pool them.  Made 20 addressees, set the thing going, waited a few minutes but nothing happened (using OSX Bitcoin-QT by the way). Noticed that it was an older beta version, which i'd used on my last machine build so i thought i'd upgrade to the version

Backed the wallet.dat file up, installed the later bitcongQT, opened it up to create the profile, including downloading the chain.

\I closed it down, copied the new wallet.dat to a separate location, replaced it with the previous one, and deleted the blk0001.dat and blkindex.dat file to force to the download of the blockchain again, but no coins show.,  The address book it the same, t's just got no coins.

so i have 184 coins in a chain, i have both old and new wallet.dat files, but not sure how to recover the coins,   The wallets aren't encrvypted as this was an interim install so i just wanted to collect them into one area

So, does anyone know how i could get these coins back? i have more to put in but i'm scared to do anything with the addresses lest they affect the previous transactions

any ideas please?  2 BTC to the first set of complete instructinons

cheers

Hoon

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:52:06 AM

Is the coins still in the old wallets but the balance says 0? Please check the addresses on the old wallet on blockchain.info to see if they're still sitting there first.
hoonius (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:54:56 AM

Is the coins still in the old wallets but the balance says 0? Please check the addresses on the old wallet on blockchain.info to see if they're still sitting there first.

Says total received zero but total sent is 187

No. Transactions    6    
Unspent Inputs    0
Total Received    187.16066453 BTC    
Final Balance    0 BTC
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:56:31 AM

Says total received zero but total sent is 187

No. Transactions    6    
Unspent Inputs    0
Total Received    187.16066453 BTC    
Final Balance    0 BTC

Then the coins should be in the address you've sent it to. Check that address at blockchain.info to see if it's there.
hoonius (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:58:24 AM

well it'll be spread over the twenty i set up to use wirth bitcoinfog, so there's a miltitude of coins there.  Is it just  a case of adding te initial addresss from theold address book int the new address book possibly?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:00:00 AM

Run the Bitcoin client from the command line with the -rescan flag.

typing
Code:
bitcoin-qt -rescan
in a Terminal and pressing enter should start the process.
I imagine it shouldn't be that much different from Linux.

Altho when you downloaded a new blockchain with the wallet.dat where the coins were supposed to be it should've "catched" them.
Anyway, it takes a few minutes only. Worth a try Wink

Also, this may be a dumb question, but: Are you sure that Bitcoinfog already sent you the coins? AFAIK they don't send them instantly. You may have to wait for them to have coins from others so they can mix them.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:04:01 AM

Problem is the coins from the old addresses have been sent to bitcoinfog already, and bitcoinfog have sent the coins to the 20 addresses. Have bitcoinfog completed the sending yet? If yes, you can easily use pywallet (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0) to get the privatekeys of the 20 addresses, and manually import them to blockchain.info's online wallet. Reinstall the bitcoin client, and generate a new wallet. Use blockchain.info's online wallet to send all the coins to your new wallet.
hoonius (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:05:04 AM

i didn't think the osx version had command line support yet?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:06:27 AM

Problem is the coins from the old addresses have been sent to bitcoinfog already, and bitcoinfog have sent the coins to the 20 addresses. Have bitcoinfog completed the sending yet? If yes, you can easily use pywallet (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0) to get the privatekeys of the 20 addresses, and manually import them to blockchain.info's online wallet. Reinstall the bitcoin client, and generate a new wallet. Use blockchain.info's online wallet to send all the coins to your new wallet.

He can just run bitcoin-qt as a server and use the dumpprivkey command if all he needs is the private key.
Just like he can import the private keys with importprivkey.
No need for pywallet to do just that Wink
hoonius (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:09:31 AM

so which wallet file should be in place, the old one where addresses were created, or the new one from the later version i instsalled?
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:11:12 AM

He can just run bitcoin-qt as a server and use the dumpprivkey command if all he needs is the private key.
Okay, I'm used to old pywallet though.  Grin
However, he is using OSX, which I don't think has bitcoind, and therefore no commandline support yet IMO. Pywallet can work regardless of the system so I'm more inclined to use that.
hoonius (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:12:45 AM

as a server?  im confused, thought it was just a client

can this be down on the osx version?
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:12:49 AM

so which wallet file should be in place, the old one where addresses were created, or the new one from the later version i instsalled?

For the new installation, a new wallet is needed as your old wallet (which were not showing the coins properly) should be corrupt. Just make sure to BACKUP ALL YOUR PREVIOUS WALLETS first!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:14:46 AM

Okay, I'm used to old pywallet though.  Grin
However, he is using OSX, which I don't think has bitcoind, and therefore no commandline support yet IMO. Pywallet can work regardless of the system so I'm more inclined to use that.

There is no bitcoind but you can run bitcoin-qt with the -server flag which is the same. It was already like this on the 0.3 version, and it works regardless of the OS Wink
Or so I've been told Tongue
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:15:12 AM

as a server?  im confused, thought it was just a client

can this be down on the osx version?

I'll suggest not to as you'll need to send curl commands to it.
To run as server, use:

Code:
open Bitcoin-Qt.app --args -server

hoonius (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:17:48 AM

ok, so i got both the old wallet.dat, the old-old walet.dat safely tucked away

Should i just re-install and start afresh, i have all the addresses including the defulats, but i didn;t use that for the transfer so not sure if this is required?

or is the server version gonna be faster? looks like a double bounty as well, yo've both been very helpful
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:21:57 AM

ok, so i got both the old wallet.dat, the old-old walet.dat safely tucked away

Should i just re-install and start afresh, i have all the addresses including the defulats, but i didn;t use that for the transfer so not sure if this is required?

or is the server version gonna be faster? looks like a double bounty as well, yo've both been very helpful

Just get the privatekeys for the old wallet.dat either by psy's method (running as server and using dumpprivkey), or by using pywallet (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0), and load the keys to a online wallet like blockchain.info. Send everything in the addresses to the new wallet.dat, and everything should be fine.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:23:48 AM

Curl commands? Where did you get that idea, John?

Usage:
bitcoind [options]                     
 bitcoind [options] <command> [params]  Send command to -server or bitcoind
 bitcoind [options] help                List commands
 bitcoind [options] help <command>      Get help for a command
Source: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Command-line_arguments

BTW, hoonius, you haven't answered my question above.
Are you sure Bitcoinfog already sent you the coins?

Also, very important thing that sometimes get overlooked:
Before messing with your wallet.dat in any way, please do a backup to a safe place where you can grab it later if something goes wrong Grin
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:29:57 AM

Usage:
bitcoind [options]                    
 bitcoind [options] <command> [params]  Send command to -server or bitcoind
 bitcoind [options] help                List commands
 bitcoind [options] help <command>      Get help for a command

If I'm not wrong, I remember that on OSX you'll have to compile your own bitcoind as it's not included despite sourceforge claiming so when I ran Bitcoin on my Mac on Jan. I might be wrong now, as a new version of bitcoin might include the bitcoind.

Edit: The lack of bitcoind in OSX is widely documented: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54730.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=21956.0
hoonius (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:49:11 AM

Usage:
bitcoind [options]                     
 bitcoind [options] <command> [params]  Send command to -server or bitcoind
 bitcoind [options] help                List commands
 bitcoind [options] help <command>      Get help for a command

BTW, hoonius, you haven't answered my question above.
Are you sure Bitcoinfog already sent you the coins?

Also, very important thing that sometimes get overlooked:
Before messing with your wallet.dat in any way, please do a backup to a safe place where you can grab it later if something goes wrong Grin

yes, the balance on that address is zero so coins were alrerady sent out
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: