Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:58:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Isn't Mining Economically Retarded?  (Read 5027 times)
exoton

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 02:37:29 AM

Yes. As mining is a massive waste of electricity.
No. Banks, and credit card processing companies (visa, mastercard and amex) all use similar amounts of electricity on a per transaction and a per dollar sent basis.
The entire bitcoin network could be maintained using a single server. Tongue
Also not true. This would create a central authority that would control the blockchain, which is not what bitcoin is about

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cyberpinoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 02:49:43 AM

1. If a miner was more profitable than the price payed, wouldn't the mining companies use them instead of selling them?
Doyou understand the meaning of ROI and the time it takes to get that? If you spend 100,000 dollars on a  restaurant will you make 100,000 dollars the first day you are opened? No its called ROI. But if you spend 100,000 dollars on a restaurant and run your business well please your customers will you make 100,000 dollars profit in a year? Maybe. Mining Bitcoins is no different, except we dont have to please any customers to secure our business, we just have to buy a couple more machines every 2 weeks to compensate for the rise in the difficulty.
2. If a cloud miner was more profitable than the price payed, wouldn't the mining companies use them instead of renting them?
Again ROI brother ROI
3. Isn't it less risky to buy the coins upfront and not compete with the rising hashrate and diminishing returns?
I dont know ask a few of the idiots who bought into the hype when the coins were 1100 dollars a coin, where do you think they are sitting right now? Pretty far from profitable huh?

In my opinion, there is an influx of math-deficient kids and young adults spending money to buy miners in hopes of getting rich. This causes an influx of miners and less buying pressure on the actual market. In time, this influx should slow down as the general group will realize the futility of buying miners, and thus the price will begin to rise again.

Am I missing something as to the advantage of mining?

In my opinion, there is an influx of math-deficient, lack of business economics, lack of the bitcoin protocol and how it works, lack of currency trading logic and ROI understanding in your whole post. I think you need some more research on a few things before you start criticizing others on what you "think" is right and wrong Smiley

Sorry to be so blunt, Im Just saying

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 02:08:00 AM

Yes. As mining is a massive waste of electricity.
No. Banks, and credit card processing companies (visa, mastercard and amex) all use similar amounts of electricity on a per transaction and a per dollar sent basis.

As more and more bitcoin miners enter the frame, the electricity used in mining would increase, without any corresponding increase in the capacity of the network. So in that sense, the amount of electricity used per transaction can increase.
I am not sure if the amount of electricity used by banks is comparable on a per transaction basis to bitcoin. Even if it is, I don't think it varies as much as the electricity used by the bitcoin network.
fran2k

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 05:49:12 PM

The point is that the network is spending 25 x 144 x 365 = 1.314.000 BTC/y. in securing the network and sustaining a wasteful business which is now not really decentralized as the economies of scale rules the mining.

This 500 MUSD could be spent in something that add ups really value to the network. At the beginning it was a good way for the initial bitcoin distribution and was really decentralized but now I strongly think that we should came with something better.
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 06:03:13 PM

in securing the network and sustaining a wasteful business

So, obviously something like public sewers and water supply are only justifiable on a public health basis until the population is generally healthy, at which point it should be turned off and cheaper method of health preservation should be sought?

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 06:13:58 PM

@OP:

That's why proof of stake was invented.

You might not like it, but most of those PoS coins are actually working...

Currently I'm forging Nxt on a rasperry pi, using 2-3 Watt. It does not make me much money, but the entire system is using a tiny tiny fraction of BTC electricity, and it works.
Have been doing PoS transactions for a year now, and I sleep better with the noiseless raspi beside my bed than with the miners I had Smiley
Built

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 06:54:21 PM

mining is used to make sure the network is stable
elephantas1

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 06:57:23 PM

i was thinking to start cloud mining but after these posts im not going to do that
halfawake

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 07:32:59 PM

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with the OP.  Mining seems pretty bad from an economic standpoint unless you happened to be one of the lucky ones who found out about Bitcoin in 2009 and did a bunch of CPU mining when that was still possible.  I'm more concerned about the environmental issues with mining than the economic ones personally though, considering how much energy miners use, although I do think that if we ever get to the point where bitcoin takes over fiat (highly unlikely, but we can hope), the energy miners use would likely be less than all the energy banks & the Federal Reserve uses.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
malaimult

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 08:47:10 PM

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with the OP.  Mining seems pretty bad from an economic standpoint unless you happened to be one of the lucky ones who found out about Bitcoin in 2009 and did a bunch of CPU mining when that was still possible.  I'm more concerned about the environmental issues with mining than the economic ones personally though, considering how much energy miners use, although I do think that if we ever get to the point where bitcoin takes over fiat (highly unlikely, but we can hope), the energy miners use would likely be less than all the energy banks & the Federal Reserve uses.
Mining is much more competitive now then it was when GPU/CPU was profitable. Today you need to have access to cheap electricity and be able to buy enough mining equipment to command a discount from the manufacturers.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: