Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 04:41:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do I find good info about the security of the bitcoin code.  (Read 1063 times)
kohler49 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 11:03:32 AM

I am with a group of old programmers that are presented to and discussing the BitCoin.
We have discussed buy/sell wallets, the mining, the exchange......

We hear and read that though there has been fraud on BitCoin but nothing has yet compromised the BitCoin it self.
The reason is that it is open code and that the system is running on a P2P network.

I have tried to find good info about this,
the protection of the bitcoin code and the P2P.

To get good answers you must present good question that sometimes is only possible when you know the answer.
Could anyone help formulate that question or lead direct to source of info that can explain.

In advance, thanks

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 11:10:57 AM

I am with a group of old programmers that are presented to and discussing the BitCoin.
We have discussed buy/sell wallets, the mining, the exchange......

We hear and read that though there has been fraud on BitCoin but nothing has yet compromised the BitCoin it self.
The reason is that it is open code and that the system is running on a P2P network.

I have tried to find good info about this,
the protection of the bitcoin code and the P2P.

To get good answers you must present good question that sometimes is only possible when you know the answer.
Could anyone help formulate that question or lead direct to source of info that can explain.

In advance, thanks

Bitcoin uses ECDSA digital signatures to authorize the transfer of value.

This security prevents other people from moving value that you control. If they want to move value, they need to have access to the private key in order to generate a valid ECDSA signature.

Bitcoin uses the blockchain to acheive consensus on the order of the transactions.

This security prevents you from sending the same value to multiple people.  The blockchain determines what order your transactions occur, and the first transaction to occur is the "valid" one.  Any other transaction that tries to send the same value is rejected by all peers as invalid.

Perhaps this is enough information for you to figure out what question you need to ask?
yakuza699

Activity: 935
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 11:12:44 AM

What about the white paper I guess you could find most of the answers to your questions https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
BTC BitDice.me 
EyesWideOpen

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 12:59:07 PM

Bitcoin uses ECDSA digital signatures to authorize the transfer of value.

This security prevents other people from moving value that you control. If they want to move value, they need to have access to the private key in order to generate a valid ECDSA signature.

Bitcoin uses the blockchain to acheive consensus on the order of the transactions.

This security prevents you from sending the same value to multiple people.  The blockchain determines what order your transactions occur, and the first transaction to occur is the "valid" one.  Any other transaction that tries to send the same value is rejected by all peers as invalid.

Really impressive summarization, Danny.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: