Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:10:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are 5850 so rare?  (Read 2262 times)
grue (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 11:25:38 PM

It's the best card in terms of MH/$, but it seems to be super rare. any idea why? I can't imagine all of them being bought by miners.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 11:27:41 PM

It's the best card in terms of MH/$, but it seems to be super rare. any idea why? I can't imagine all of them being bought by miners.

Miners certainly have a part to play in the availability of AMD cards. Also, 5xxx is the previous generation technology, the 6xxx series is the newest and easier to find.
Convery

Activity: 966
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 11:27:52 PM

As it's also one of the best $/performance cards they are attractive. Also, as Sapphire advertised their 'remake' of the 5850 it got more attention..

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 11:27:56 PM

They weren't rare a week ago and before.  Wink

Yes, I think they really were bought out primarily by miners. I know I purchased 8 just a week ago.  Smiley
Sonata

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 11:28:04 PM

Sold out within a matter of days since people found out about their hashes.
grndzero

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 11:32:40 PM

Not everyone can afford $800-1200 for a 5970, if they could even find them. 2 x 5850's give the same performance at 1/3-1/2 the price.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
mouser98

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 01:43:37 AM

Maybe 5850's should be the new world's currency Smiley
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

Your Minion

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 01:47:25 AM

Just imagine the amount of 58xx's that will be flooding the used market once 7series comes out with more SP's and better TDP.
I can already see my for sale thread with twelve 58xx's  Cheesy

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
grue (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 01:51:01 AM

Just imagine the amount of 58xx's that will be flooding the used market once 7series comes out with more SP's and better TDP.
I doubt that will happen, just look at the 6xxx series, much more expensive than the 5xxx series, in terms of MH/$

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
SlaveInDebt

Your Minion

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:21:13 AM

I doubt that will happen, just look at the 6xxx series, much more expensive than the 5xxx series, in terms of MH/$

The reason the 6series are no better than the 5series is due to foundries being stuck on 40nm. This is why you don't see an increase in SP's in the 6 series over 5series because of limited die space due to being on the same node. Integer performance derived from the number of SP's is key for mining.
ATI/AMD focused on improving where they could with the 6series by restructuring the SP layout to gain improvements in area's the 5series lacked FP/DX11 performance while leaving its integer(SP) performance the same roughly.

Once the new node is available for production at 28nm we will see 1920+ SP's on a single die while using the 6series improved SP layout within the same TDP. New nodes bring improved performance and power efficiency.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
TradersEdgeDice

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 02:41:09 AM

I think I bought the last one. 

:-)

Like what I posted?

Buy my Metal FX Currency Dice Set
http://tradersedgedice.com

Buyers using bitcoin get a deep discount.  Free worldwide shipping.

Web of Trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=TradersEdgeDice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

GPG Identity: http://bitcoin-otc.com/
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:44:01 AM

The reason the 6series are no better than the 5series is due to foundries being stuck on 40nm. This is why you don't see an increase in SP's in the 6 series over 5series because of limited die space due to being on the same node. Integer performance derived from the number of SP's is key for mining.
ATI/AMD focused on improving where they could with the 6series by restructuring the SP layout to gain improvements in area's the 5series lacked FP/DX11 performance while leaving its integer(SP) performance the same roughly.

Once the new node is available for production at 28nm we will see 1920+ SP's on a single die while using the 6series improved SP layout within the same TDP. New nodes bring improved performance and power efficiency.

I'm excited. Have you heard any news about AMD's progress with this?
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:56:15 AM

Check here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Islands_(GPU_family)

Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath until the press has seen demo cards.  The problem with shooting for a Christmas release is that if you miss, you really miss.  On the other hand, if this is merely a die shrink, maybe they can pull it off on time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon

October 2005 (R520) -> May 2007 (R600) = 17 months
May 2007 -> June 2008 (R700) = 13 months
June 2008 -> September 2009 (Evergreen) = 15 months
September 2009 -> October 2010 (Northern Islands) = 13 months

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
SlaveInDebt

Your Minion

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 03:02:11 AM

TSMC just tapped out 28nm. It's rumored we may see mobile 7series first in 4Q this year with desktop following behind in 1Q '11.
2Q is the latest date expected so still quiet some time. 6series was to use 28nm but TSMC didnt get production out in time, had they would be looking at ~1920 SP's units now.
I wont be surprised to see 2304 SP's on the top single GPU 7series using todays 6series SP layout.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: