Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:53:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Education Programming 101: Destroy Logic  (Read 2178 times)
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2014, 02:23:38 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2015, 05:07:28 PM by Nemo1024

A friend pointed me to this article, as a fair warning:

Education Programming 101: Destroy Logic
http://www.zengardner.com/education-programming-101-destroy-logic/

In our teaching institutions, you could look in vain to find courses on the individual, his freedom, his power. That’s gone. It’s no accident that serious training in logic is also gone. And by serious, I mean the application of logic to formal arguments on issues that determine our future.

In many cases, instead, education is about: what group do you belong to? What are the needs of that group? Who is oppressing your group? How can you get government to solve the problem?

If you can educate the young to make snap judgements about core ideas, you eliminate their capacity to reason. You own them.

EDIT: Adding to the OP.

A must-read for anyone reading MSM.

Dissecting the Media - The Words They Use, The Minds They Sway
http://oursolaris.blogspot.nl/2015/02/dissecting-media-words-they-use-minds.html

A must-know list of logical fallacies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2014, 12:56:04 AM

This is exactly what Common Core is. It is designed to confuse children's ability for critical thought and logic by teaching them nonsense is ok "as long as you can explain it". This is extremely apparent in the common core math program. It is bringing children to tears all over this country trying to make sense of something that CAN NOT MAKE SENSE. This is just conditioning our children to regurgitate what they are told without a thought EVEN MORE than they already do. This is about the destruction of individual logic and will to transform it into a form of nonsensical groupthink. I am terrified for this country's future generations, they don't have a chance.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 01:48:30 AM

In our teaching institutions, you could look in vain to find courses on the individual, his freedom, his power. That’s gone. It’s no accident that serious training in logic is also gone. And by serious, I mean the application of logic to formal arguments on issues that determine our future.

In many cases, instead, education is about: what group do you belong to? What are the needs of that group? Who is oppressing your group? How can you get government to solve the problem?

If you can educate the young to make snap judgements about core ideas, you eliminate their capacity to reason. You own them.

This is why the subject of AGW/Global Warming is quite interesting to me.  It is an arena where people jump in and find their thinking is totally illogical - because they have been trained in illogic.  It is literally an area where the illogic of PhD or above level schoolmarms can be refuted with 8th grade math.

This is exactly what Common Core is. It is designed to confuse children's ability for critical thought and logic by teaching them nonsense is ok "as long as you can explain it". This is extremely apparent in the common core math program. It is bringing children to tears all over this country trying to make sense of something that CAN NOT MAKE SENSE. This is just conditioning our children to regurgitate what they are told without a thought EVEN MORE than they already do. This is about the destruction of individual logic and will to transform it into a form of nonsensical groupthink. I am terrified for this country's future generations, they don't have a chance.
The refutation to your argument and concern is the Internet, and what we can make of it.  But yes, "learning" has moved to on line forums, and doubtful it will move back into schools.  Why exactly do we need them?
koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 02:46:19 AM

Logic and critical thinking are the core of education and actual understanding. The current system does not facilitate this method of thinking though. No wonder US students are not up to standard when compared to other countries.
pattu1

Activity: 675
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 12:13:34 PM

Logic and critical thinking are applicable and essential to all aspects of life.
It doesn't matter what you do, it helps if you are a logical thinker.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2014, 01:14:49 PM

This is why the subject of AGW/Global Warming is quite interesting to me.  It is an arena where people jump in and find their thinking is totally illogical - because they have been trained in illogic.  It is literally an area where the illogic of PhD or above level schoolmarms can be refuted with 8th grade math.

The refutation to your argument and concern is the Internet, and what we can make of it.  But yes, "learning" has moved to on line forums, and doubtful it will move back into schools.  Why exactly do we need them?
The internet doesn't teach anyone. People teach themselves. If a child has its capacity and drive for learning destroyed at school, what makes you think the internet wont just be used for games and cat videos?
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2014, 01:18:10 PM

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
oprahwindfury

Activity: 588
Merit: 108

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 07:42:59 AM

Teaching and the education system has been de-railed. Schools don't teach for the sake of teaching anymore, they teach kids to take pointless standardized tests that basically have nothing to do with what their jobs entail in the real world. I would know because what I do at my job now has nothing to do with what standardized tests have taught me.

Critically thinking is put to the wayside in school nowadays. How do you expect children to think for themselves when all they learn are a series of regimented classes and practice sessions with little or no wiggle room for creativity.

I can't even begin to describe the woeful absence of financial advice I'd never received from school. Why are no "doing your taxes" classes offered when it is a fact of life for every single person in the U.S.?

I could go on and on and on about the series misteps in the U.S. educational system but I am depressing myself thinking about it.

EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 07:50:59 AM

I'm not a fan of the common core myself the argument for it is that it helps them become computer programmers which makes me go ... well I didn't need it and my tech level is high lol.

Besides i'm a personal fan of the little orange building blocks to learn math because when I'm in the store and I want to divide costs by gram i'm not going to go  1 + 2 is 5 etc when solving the problem.

Anyways I'm with the article that more critical thinking and applications need to be put into the cirruculum question is what to take out or upgrade in its place.

That and Finance ... to many people don't know how to budget / invest lol.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 03:31:47 PM

The refutation to your argument and concern is the Internet, and what we can make of it.  But yes, "learning" has moved to on line forums, and doubtful it will move back into schools.  Why exactly do we need them?
The internet doesn't teach anyone. People teach themselves. If a child has its capacity and drive for learning destroyed at school, what makes you think the internet wont just be used for games and cat videos?
The internet provides a communications platform where teaching is a possible activity.

Note bolded above.  I did not ascribe teaching to the internet.  The phrase used was "the internet and what we can make of it."

Now why exactly do we need schools?
donseptico

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 12:50:52 AM

The internet provides a communications platform where teaching is a possible activity.

Note bolded above.  I did not ascribe teaching to the internet.  The phrase used was "the internet and what we can make of it."

Trite answer - to give teachers jobs...

Not quite so trite answer - to teach the basic skills necessary to enable the student to learn (e.g. reading, source evaluation, etc) to enable self led learning (from the internet or elsewhere) - although you could argue this /could/ be done in the home, although not everyone has the time, inclination, ability to do so...

One other part answer, not all students can simply learn by reading about something - the internet, good as it is, doesn't accommodate kinaesthetic learners, for example.
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 09:16:35 PM

http://oursolaris.blogspot.nl/2015/02/dissecting-media-words-they-use-minds.html

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 09:17:52 PM

create your own word: wordmaking Wink it's funnier and they can't do anything against.

money is faster...
calfries

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 09:57:52 PM

The refutation to your argument and concern is the Internet, and what we can make of it.  But yes, "learning" has moved to on line forums, and doubtful it will move back into schools.  Why exactly do we need them?

Apparently, schools are required to duplicate the society we live in? However, that is not what is happening at all!
tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 10:48:50 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2015, 11:31:32 PM by tee-rex

I beg to differ, someone wants to engage?

Schools take up where forums give up. Before all I mean acquiring social skills and learning behavior patterns through "live" communication with fellow boys and girls, which forums are so conspicuously devoid of.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:34:33 PM

I beg to differ, someone wants to engage?

Schools take up where forums give up. Before all I mean acquiring social skills and learning behavior patterns through "live" communication with fellow boys and girls, which forums are so conspicuously devoid of.

NO.  Look at history.  Social skills and behavior pattern learning existed long before "schools".  Schools were created to teach reading, writing and arithmetic, plus some advanced subjects.  Later, it is usually ascribed to Dewey in the 1920s, schools started to be perverted to emphasize "teaching of social skills."

No, you don't need schools to learn social skills.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:45:59 PM

You can be self-taught thanks to the internet these days. The internet is a great tool, it all depends in how you use it.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:49:55 PM

I looked at the some of the youtube vids of common core approved math for early education.  The very first thing which popped out was that the basic concept at that early phase is that math becomes exponentially more difficult as numbers get bigger.  Combine this (false) message with what is clearly psychological torture given many kid's reactions (and just as importantly from a system design point of view, the reaction of the parents) and I can pretty much promise a cohort of 'citizens' who will be enumerate and terrified of math and willing to do anything to stay away from it.  Especially, just accept what the 'consensus' of 'smart' people tell them is to be believed.

As always, I tend to not write off these things to accident.  There is every possibility that this is a deliberate design.  With centralized planning at the national and international level, it would be possible for a fairly small group of designers and policy makers to achieve and effect which impacts a large majority of the population in things like this.  It's hard not to look at the structure of the common core project and not recognize this.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
bitgeek

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 07:22:19 PM

There's so much irrelevant crap taught at schools these days and the really important studies like history, physics or biology are neglected. The time is allocated elsewhere. Into religion, ethics and gender studies.
I talked to an older university professor not long ago and according to him kids that apply are getting dumber and dumber each year. Now they have to spend at least half of the first semester to repeat and remind the basics they should've been taught at high school.

███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████

Online.BTC.Bingo

.*500%.CASH.BACK.+.INSTANT.BONUS
..PROGRESSIVE.JACKPOT
..NO-DOWNLOAD.CLIENT

EPIC.FUN.
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 10:03:46 PM

There's so much irrelevant crap taught at schools these days and the really important studies like history, physics or biology are neglected. The time is allocated elsewhere. Into religion, ethics and gender studies.
I talked to an older university professor not long ago and according to him kids that apply are getting dumber and dumber each year. Now they have to spend at least half of the first semester to repeat and remind the basics they should've been taught at high school.

Yes, true. The first semester at University of Oslo you study for Examen Philosophicum and Examen Facultatum, basically learning what you should have learnt at school. And on applied science you are taught math - because school program of math studies had been dumbed down.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: