Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:25:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: blowin' yer mind right now  (Read 1691 times)
Desolator (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:35:28 AM

Are you ready to have your minds blown?  I just realized something.  You know how BTC has been going up and up and up?  You know how there's $1.2+ mil in pre-orders at BFL and the initial ones were BTC-only?  Put 2 and 2 together.  As soon as they start to be released, BFL is going to sell off all that BTC and miners are going to sell their BTC again. I think it's gonna fall pretty hard.

If you somehow think this is not true, ummmm, according to MTGoxLive, $1.2 mil USD is exactly 1 shit ton of money Tongue
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 01:42:47 AM

If they are using something like BitPay they might just be getting paid in cash. Also, I'm guessing if they did get bitcoins directly they would be selling them as they need money for more product. They wouldn't just dump them all at once.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 02:12:11 AM

It's been known that BFL does not actually get paid in BTC. BTC does not pay employees, rent, utilities, etc.

When you purchase from BFL, you send the coins to Bit-Pay, and Bit-Pay immediately deposits the USD equivalent into BFL's account.

As far as BFL is concerned, they only receive USD.

Now if you want to be all paranoid about someone dropping millions of dollars worth of BTC, you should be keeping an eye on Bit-Pay. But they've had those BTC for a while now, and seem to be pretty legit. In fact, I think they're offering one of the best services possible at this stage of Bitcoin adoption: a simple, easy, and smooth transaction framework for business to accept BTC as a payment method.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 02:27:33 AM

As others have pointed out BFL used BitPay but lets pretend for a second they didn't.  What makes you think they wouldn't have just sold the $1.2M in BTC as the preorders came in.  Why would they hoard them up for 6-8 months risking massive price swings and then dump them all on the market all at once to crash the market (and reduce the value of the orders they collected)?
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 05:38:00 AM

If you somehow think this is not true, ummmm, according to MTGoxLive, $1.2 mil USD is exactly 1 shit ton of money Tongue

the past 2 weeks volume was about 3 million each week.
also their was 1 day of trading that generated 3 million of volume

1.2 mil is alot, but it cant cause a major crash, unless the seller is crazy and sells it all in 20 mins.

I bet bitpay was able to make a nice profit selling their coins.

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 09:15:10 AM

or bitpay owners represent/are wealthy investors who want to aquire bitcoins without moving the market.

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:18:41 PM

or bitpay owners represent/are wealthy investors who want to aquire bitcoins without moving the market.

Yes, but they will sell their coins to you in $10000+ chunks. This doesn't sound like manipulation to me.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Desolator (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:39:57 PM

I wasn't around at the time so maybe someone else can confirm this but I know they're taking bitpay and paypal and other payments now but their own website FAQ says "Why do you not accept Paypal for your SC line of products?
 We do!  However, in the beginning, we wanted to promote Bitcoin, so the first orders were taken exclusively in Bitcoin."

I dunno that much about bitpay but that doesn't sound like bitpay.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:46:19 PM

Friendly advice: do a lot more reading and a lot less assuming.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 09:38:08 PM

I wasn't around at the time so maybe someone else can confirm this but I know they're taking bitpay and paypal and other payments now but their own website FAQ says "Why do you not accept Paypal for your SC line of products?
 We do!  However, in the beginning, we wanted to promote Bitcoin, so the first orders were taken exclusively in Bitcoin."

I dunno that much about bitpay but that doesn't sound like bitpay.
It was BitPay. There were even press releases by BitPay on the event.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 10:08:15 PM

bitpay went on this forum and said  "look at the ask walls, that's us trying to sell off the coins from BLF, get it while its hot!"

or something to that effect.

I really don't think bitpay holds on to the bitcoins they get.

maybe a little...

Desolator (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 03:14:02 AM

Of course they dont...they're digital, you can't hold them, rofl.  Anyway, didn't know that Tongue I guess instead of we're accepting payment in BTC only to support the system, they really meant they're likely taking money from bitpay to force people to use their system and getting USD as the end result regardless Tongue well, asian chip-making labs don't take bitcoins so I could kinda see that, lol.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 08:47:54 AM

Are you ready to have your minds blown?  I just realized something.  

Mind blown!

You know how BTC has been going up and up and up?  You know how there's $1.2+ mil in pre-orders at BFL and the initial ones were BTC-only?  Put 2 and 2 together.  As soon as they start to be released, BFL is going to sell off all that BTC and miners are going to sell their BTC again. I think it's gonna fall pretty hard.

Oh.. false alarm :/

I've bought a few pieces of mining equipment for bitcoin. I've never felt the need to sell BTC after getting them running.  I mine to support the network and to protect my BTC investment. Break even on the equipment cost is an aim - but as long as it's close I'm pretty cool with it.

While I'm sure there are a few people who have outlayed so much on mining FPGAs / ASICs  (or have such high electricity expenses)  that they need to sell a large slice or all of the BTC they mine; I don't assume that this is true for the majority of miners.  There may be many people for whom the cost of mining rigs is relatively small and who mine to add security to the network (whilst increasing their BTC savings) so are in no rush to convert their mined BTC to some other currency.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
VeeMiner

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 08:48:49 AM

great, I'm gonna buy me some BTC once they go down
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: