Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:13:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will ASICS Help Level The Playing Field vs. Botnets?
Heck Yes
Heck No
Curse you BFL!
Botnets are People Too!

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICs vs BOTNETS  (Read 4873 times)
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 04:08:59 PM

I'm not sure how you were able to confuse "envy" with "hate", but whatever.

Why the hate then?

If BFL actually delivers products they announced with those specs and prices, no longer will anyone bother with using their botnets for mining bitcoins (unnecessary increased risk of detection, even after taking necessary precautions).

Signature space available for rent.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 04:13:22 PM

I'm not sure how you were able to confuse "envy" with "hate", but whatever.

Why the hate then?

If BFL actually delivers products they announced with those specs and prices, no longer will anyone bother with using their botnets for mining bitcoins (unnecessary increased risk of detection, even after taking necessary precautions).
I wasn't hating because they were mining (it increases network security), but I was hating because of the principle of the thing, where the botnet owner has commandeered the resources of an unsuspecting user and is using them for his own gain, frequently at the cost of the user directly. The operator itself is nothing more than a lazy slob that can't be bothered to make an honest living.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 05:01:31 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2012, 10:58:43 AM by malevolent

I wasn't hating because they were mining (it increases network security), but I was hating because of the principle of the thing, where the botnet owner has commandeered the resources of an unsuspecting user and is using them for his own gain, frequently at the cost of the user directly. The operator itself is nothing more than a lazy slob that can't be bothered to make an honest living.

Ok, I get your point.

But I still think some users do deserve being taken advantage of. Take HF skids for example, begging for t00lz to h4x det fb acc, what could be wrong with infecting them Wink Not that I'd encourage that but I'm not against either. As for the operator most of the stuff they do can't be considered 'making an honest living' but not all of them are lazy slobs (those who design them are quite clever), only those who buy tools without basic knowledge of how networks and Windows works.

Signature space available for rent.
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 08:27:53 PM

what should botnets stop from using gpus, fpgas or asics .... just a matter of time and skills Smiley (with i don't have ...()

Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 01:49:09 AM

To be honest I don't really care where the hashes come from, I just think the more hashes the better security the network has.
Mystery miner is my only exception, though, because they have 1.3TH and don't accept transactions into their blocks, making just over 1/10 of all Bitcoin blocks without transactions.

How is that even possible?
schnell

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 08:26:37 AM

To be honest I don't really care where the hashes come from, I just think the more hashes the better security the network has.
Mystery miner is my only exception, though, because they have 1.3TH and don't accept transactions into their blocks, making just over 1/10 of all Bitcoin blocks without transactions.

How is that even possible?
It is possible with some modifications to the code, I'm not too sure how.
Have a look at this thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67634.0
Though it looks like recently he has stopped?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=87185.0

Somone on the second thread made a good point that the network hashrate has stayed the same even though he has stopped, so he's probably in a pool. Deepbit's block solving rate also went up.
epiks

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 11:35:48 PM

So I've heard there are botnets running lots of hash. Are there any confirmed major hash sources that are botnets?

Based on the hash of the botnets, they are making a killing, and there's nothing we can do about it, however if/when the ASIC rolls out in force, the botnets will no longer be a significant portion of the hash.

This stands to gain (ASIC) players an even higher % of the pie.

What Say Ye? Vote Above

Botnet mining really isn't that profitable. Not everyone has good gfx cards and you will lose a lot of bots because of all the resources it takes mining 24/7. (Unless you have a afk miner, which cuts profits by a lot)

I've seen a botnet of roughly 2k bots (granted not 100% of bots weren't mining nor a 100% of the time) and he was making about 1btc a day. Not worth the risk IMO. Now if you got a bunch of gaming PCs I could see it turning semi-profitable. But not enough to be worth jail time.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 11:45:07 PM

1. Create botnet out of ASIC machines.
2.$$$Profit ?

1l1l11ll1l (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 02:51:22 AM

So I've heard there are botnets running lots of hash. Are there any confirmed major hash sources that are botnets?

Based on the hash of the botnets, they are making a killing, and there's nothing we can do about it, however if/when the ASIC rolls out in force, the botnets will no longer be a significant portion of the hash.

What Say Ye? Vote Above

Botnet mining really isn't that profitable. Not everyone has good gfx cards and you will lose a lot of bots because of all the resources it takes mining 24/7. (Unless you have a afk miner, which cuts profits by a lot)

I've seen a botnet of roughly 2k bots (granted not 100% of bots weren't mining nor a 100% of the time) and he was making about 1btc a day. Not worth the risk IMO. Now if you got a bunch of gaming PCs I could see it turning semi-profitable. But not enough to be worth jail time.

2k bots... tiny botnet

fatigue

Activity: 196

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 03:07:19 AM

What Say Ye? Vote Above

2k bots... tiny botnet

hell... i know where to buy 2k bots for less than $100... that doesnt even constitute a botnet. Thats like a botstring.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 01:15:54 PM

botstring
lol

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 09:31:09 AM

What Say Ye? Vote Above

running hash? be a portion of the hash? hash sources?

smoking much hash? :-)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
VeeMiner

Activity: 752

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 08:57:30 AM

that's one of the best things on ASIC coming, botnet operators will be f***ed in the a**. The network power will be in hands of people that believe in the project and are willing to pay money for great mining equipment = good people.
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 09:02:54 AM

Botnets will switch over to litecoin, if they haven't already, given litecoin's more CPU (and therefore botnet) friendly algorithm.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
VeeMiner

Activity: 752

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 09:41:50 AM

Botnets will switch over to litecoin, if they haven't already, given litecoin's more CPU (and therefore botnet) friendly algorithm.

rendering litecoin worthless...
dooferorg

Activity: 163

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:47:49 PM

Someone is even trying to get others to write one for him:

http://www.freelancer.com/projects/PHP-C-Programming/Bitcoin-Litecoin-mining-Bot.html

*facepalm*

BTC: 1dooferoD3vnwgez3Jo1E4bFfgMf81LR2
ZEC: t1gnToN2HZW4GD52kofEVdijhRijWjCNfYi
godofal

Activity: 160

TACNAYN - destroyer of worlds

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:43:39 PM

Because they will find something else more profitable. Spamming, pw hash breaking whatever.

Good point.

Sending Nigerian spam is much more profitable than mining say 0.1 BTC a day when ASIC hits !

3 points:
- nigerian spam is surprisingly profitable (maybe not nigerian spam itself, but those kinds of mail do generate money)
- over time, botnet members will reinstall, get new PC's, whatever. so over time less and less PC's will generate BTC in a botnet. the thing right now is that its worth setting up new PC's, but in the future when ASIC's hit, you'd need around 1000 high-end CPU's hashing to get the equivalent of 1 BFL jalapeno. wich brings us to point 3:
- right now, if you have a single high-end GPU running, you'd have about the equivalent of 100 high-end CPU's, say there are 1000 PC's infected and you with your high-end GPU; you'd have a 1/11 share
when you get a single basic ASIC, you'd have the equivalent of 1000 PC's, so you get a 1/2 share of the total BTC mined*

so even though in theory it doesnt cost anything to upkeep that botnet, it will decrease over time in size, and the total share of the network is *way* lower than it is right now
ASIC's will kill botnets

*the numbers are somewhat accurate, but mostly serve as an example

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: