Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:54:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Arduino Library to interface with Bitcoin  (Read 15891 times)
cryptofo (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 05:58:34 PM

I just wanted to open a thread to see if anyone out there would be interested in contributing to the developement of an Arduino library that would allow us to call the bitcoin network for confirmation of payment.  This would allow us to build such things as

Vending Machines
Fuel Pumps
Grain Dispensers
Carnival Rides
VoiP Payphones
Video Arcades
Intergalactic Rocket Ships
Soda Fountains

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 07:06:08 PM

That would be wonderful, but it's a bit early for embedded systems.  We need to implement the protocals for the 'light cleint' before we would know how to proceed with interfacing an embedded system.  As far as I know, no one is currently working on the 'light client' protocals.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
aceat64

Activity: 307
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 07:40:42 PM

That would be wonderful, but it's a bit early for embedded systems.  We need to implement the protocals for the 'light cleint' before we would know how to proceed with interfacing an embedded system.  As far as I know, no one is currently working on the 'light client' protocals.

No one is working on them because it's not really necessary to write a new protocol for a lightweight client. Adding encryption to the JSON-RPC interface should be enough to allow a full featured but still lightweight client. It's possible right now to setup a simple PHP script that acts as a relay between the JSON-RPC service and a client connecting to your webserver using SSL.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 07:44:08 PM

There would need to be a concentration of bitcoiners for this to work. I suggest penetrating into a community that would be extremely receptive to bitcoins.

cryptofo (OP)

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 24, 2010, 06:19:05 PM

I don't think it would be that difficult.  I'm not saying I can do it.  I don't quite have the skills, but I think it could be something like this.

http://infinityexists.com/videos/arduino-arp-cop/
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 07:44:35 PM

I have some experience with embedded systems and Arduino, and I see the need for a physical Bitcoin wallet.  So I will be looking into this over the next couple of weeks.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
btc_man

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:12:13 PM

I'm just getting into Ardruino, let me know if I can help.
WNS

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:54:58 PM

I don't think it would be that difficult.  I'm not saying I can do it.  I don't quite have the skills, but I think it could be something like this.

http://infinityexists.com/videos/arduino-arp-cop/

Not to rain on the parade, but you realize that the arduino in this vid does essentially Zero processing right?

Even if you don't do the ECDSA (which even on bare AVR is probably not possible due to memory restrictions) you still need to securely connect to something that does, which means running at least SSL(also probably impossible), and having a net connection etc.

Android is a much better platform, and thanks to the economy of scale if the cell phone market, not prohibitively expensive in an embedded application. You can pick up an unlocked older model unit to root for < $200, and once you have a working prototype, you can have a cell enabled embedded bitcoin module built for the application.
chut

Activity: 20

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 10:16:13 PM

Is anybody working on this? I had a similar idea and would be interesting in helping. What about using Processing to create an app that could run on a web server, and then pipe info back in forth to the Arduino.
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 02:01:05 AM

Is anybody working on this? I had a similar idea and would be interesting in helping. What about using Processing to create an app that could run on a web server, and then pipe info back in forth to the Arduino.
might be quicker to use nodejs.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 03:29:12 AM

I am selling the arduino's FOR bitcoins.  Smiley 

enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 05:06:24 PM

Since the Arduino doesn't have the processor or memory requirements to run a thin client you'd just be connecting to a bitcoind server via SSL, which seems simple enough. If that's all you need you don't even need an Arduino, why not code around something crazy cheap like the TI-MSP430? $5 for a dev board and 50 cents for the chip itself opens Bitcoin up to even lower-cost applications than the Arduino would.

Not that I'm discouraging development on Arduino, it's a great platform, I just think we need to encourage development on ALL of these platforms.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 05:18:03 PM

I sell Arduino for bitcoin if anyone is interested.

makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 05:23:17 PM

Since the Arduino doesn't have the processor or memory requirements to run a thin client you'd just be connecting to a bitcoind server via SSL, which seems simple enough. If that's all you need you don't even need an Arduino, why not code around something crazy cheap like the TI-MSP430? $5 for a dev board and 50 cents for the chip itself opens Bitcoin up to even lower-cost applications than the Arduino would.
Don't think that'd even have enough RAM to speak TCP/IP, let alone be able to run SSL.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
ne1

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 05:47:50 PM

The idea of creating an embedded client is overkill and imo out of the question, however microcontroller integreation is undeniably important in the long run(as well as short run).  This maybe obvious to most and that's why no one has put any effort towards playing with it, but there are a lot of really cool things that could be done having an arduino rpc or serial to bitcoind to get info and then do....whatever.  I think the arduino platform is ideal because it has a large user base of open source manufacturers, hackers, tinkerers, makers etc.  with a lot of copy/paste code floating around.  A simple arduino to bitcoind or the open source bitcoin pos (https://github.com/javgh/greenaddress-pos-tools) demo could go a long way in getting some cool hardware projects going.  For starters, just to have arduino check bitcoind and look for payment and then "light up pin 13" (see video posted earlier in thread or the movie middle men  Wink ) or print "thank you for your payment 1DUW44" to 20x2 LED would be bad ass.  In fact I've got 5 btc on it to whoever can.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 06:16:14 PM

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

I think that a raspberry pi is a better platform for a dedicated wallet device.  Add wifi, Dash7, NFC and (maybe) a 3/4G radio to the device; a touchscreen, and a secured wallet.dat.  Allow it to use Dash7 continuously to locate both wifi hotspots to automaticly use by turning on and off the wifi radio at it's own need as well as locate other such devices to either sync blockchains with or to perform wireless transactions with in meatspace.

Even without the ability to use Bitcoin, a Raspberry Pi in a portable format with a Dash7 radio and either wifi or 3/4G would be a wicked mobile pc.  I can think of a half dozen things that I would do with it right now.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
stryker

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 06:21:46 PM

Using a wifi shield the arduino could easily interface with a central server which does the "thinking".  This would cover situations where you want multiple tiny lightweight point of sale systems in a generally small area.
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 06:58:32 PM

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

I think that a raspberry pi is a better platform for a dedicated wallet device.  Add wifi, Dash7, NFC and (maybe) a 3/4G radio to the device; a touchscreen, and a secured wallet.dat.  Allow it to use Dash7 continuously to locate both wifi hotspots to automaticly use by turning on and off the wifi radio at it's own need as well as locate other such devices to either sync blockchains with or to perform wireless transactions with in meatspace.

Even without the ability to use Bitcoin, a Raspberry Pi in a portable format with a Dash7 radio and either wifi or 3/4G would be a wicked mobile pc.  I can think of a half dozen things that I would do with it right now.

+1

I'm glad to see that the Raspberry Pi might not be vaporware after all. Anyone know what the power consumption is like? Might be an awesome portable hack platform if it can run a good long time on a small LiPo cell...
ne1

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 08:19:37 PM

after doing a little digging.  I think the best way is to have python script listen to bitcoind for payment sent to specific address and then python script posts http to arduino via ethernet shield.

so for example - you have a soda fountain with open source pos attached and you send sprite .3 bitcoins.  Python script interperets and sends aproval for .3 btcs worth of sprite.

http://bildr.org/2011/06/arduino-ethernet-pin-control/

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 08:33:01 PM

Count me in, I have an Arduino Ethernet which was lying around until now which I think would be the ideal Platform to attempt this. I hope it has enough resources to run a client we will see Smiley

There already is a Json lib for it here:

http://arduino.cc/blog/2010/11/15/ajson-the-arduino-json-library-is-released-in-v1-0/
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: