Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:38:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why aren't I filthy rich yet? It's been like two months.  (Read 11536 times)
Pruden

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

Spanish Bitcoin trader

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:02:15 AM

Please take notice of the message dates.  Wink It took me a couple pages.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Roger_Murdock (OP)

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:04:41 AM

*bump*

Well, that's a little better, Bitcoin. Not good. But better. Now how about we quit playing games and get serious? I don't want to end up as one of those poor schmucks who still has to work when he's 35.  Wink
LOL, well, at what price point are you a millionaire?

I don't see how that's relevant. I said I wanted to be filthy rich.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DJtHL3NV1o
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:22:56 PM

*bump*

Well, that's a little better, Bitcoin. Not good. But better. Now how about we quit playing games and get serious? I don't want to end up as one of those poor schmucks who still has to work when he's 35.  Wink
LOL, well, at what price point are you a millionaire?

I don't see how that's relevant. I said I wanted to be filthy rich.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DJtHL3NV1o
This one is more explicit on how much you probably want:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJR1H5tf5wE
Roger_Murdock (OP)

Activity: 342

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:43:35 PM

Uh oh. The last time this thread was bumped (by me) was April 9.
wopwop

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:44:45 PM

Everyone on this forum will be filthy rich Cheesy
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 05:32:16 PM

Heh, reading just the title, I was sure this was a humorous posting making fun of the speculation forum.

It seems op was serious Smiley

Ha, yeah I was serious (mostly). The problem is I go back and forth. Bitcoin really DOES seem like it has the potential to be revolutionary and MASSIVELY successful. And I sometimes think I'm a genius for understanding its implications earlier than most.  But then I remember that I'm not that smart. And I haven't exactly won over the friends and family I've tried to convert. ("Dude, you've got to drop the bitcoin sh*t. Seriously, I don't care.") And then I wonder if I'm not just a moron who spent several grand on "Mario money" (my wife's preferred term) that will soon be worthless.   I guess we'll find out.  Smiley
You and everyone else here.  Dealing with that.  You need to understand - the vast majority of the population (90%) do nothing but live day to day.  They're happy with their 9-5 jobs, their cubicles, and they're content to just "exist".  They don't explore, inquire, or think outside the box at all.  It could be lack of intelligence or laziness.  I prefer to think its an intelligence thing.  But nobody cares because they don't care about most things.  The majority of humanity are sheep, lead by the herd.  Even mister Jesus Christ said this about us, accurately.  you're not a moron, and you're not crazy.   If you have an IQ worth noting, and you've evaluated the situation fully, then you're right, and they're wrong.  Its difficult biting my tongue, and it will be difficult not shoving it in their faces later.  That's the true challenge Smiley

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 06:58:19 PM

Heh, reading just the title, I was sure this was a humorous posting making fun of the speculation forum.

Ha, yeah I was serious (mostly). The problem is I go back and forth. Bitcoin really DOES seem like it has the potential to be revolutionary and MASSIVELY successful. And I sometimes think I'm a genius for understanding its implications earlier than most.  But then I remember that I'm not that smart. And I haven't exactly won over the friends and family I've tried to convert. ("Dude, you've got to drop the bitcoin sh*t. Seriously, I don't care.") And then I wonder if I'm not just a moron who spent several grand on "Mario money" (my wife's preferred term) that will soon be worthless.   I guess we'll find out.  Smiley
You and everyone else here.  Dealing with that.  You need to understand - the vast majority of the population (90%) do nothing but live day to day.  They're happy with their 9-5 jobs, their cubicles, and they're content to just "exist".  They don't explore, inquire, or think outside the box at all.  It could be lack of intelligence or laziness.  I prefer to think its an intelligence thing.  But nobody cares because they don't care about most things.  The majority of humanity are sheep, lead by the herd.  Even mister Jesus Christ said this about us, accurately.  you're not a moron, and you're not crazy.   If you have an IQ worth noting, and you've evaluated the situation fully, then you're right, and they're wrong.  Its difficult biting my tongue, and it will be difficult not shoving it in their faces later.  That's the true challenge Smiley

^^Thanks for that comment Bitburger. Even though I'm a contrarian (because other people are often wrong) it's nice to see someone state my exact world view every once in a while.

I think most people are just lazy and scared though instead of stupid. Most things they cannot (or will not) do aren't complicated at all and everyone that isn't retarded should be able to understand it. It's just disinterest (how odd that may seem).
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 07:19:55 PM

^^Thanks for that comment Bitburger. Even though I'm a contrarian (because other people are often wrong) it's nice to see someone state my exact world view every once in a while.

I think most people are just lazy and scared though instead of stupid. Most things they cannot (or will not) do aren't complicated at all and everyone that isn't retarded should be able to understand it. It's just disinterest (how odd that may seem).

I think most people assume that things which they don't understand are much more complicated than they really are. That puts them off doing any research into new concepts such as cryptocurrency.

I have always taken an interest in things which I don't understand. It seems like the most natural thing in the world to just 'ask Google' when you don't know something - I mean, that's what it's for, right? My friends could never understand why I spent time looking up seemingly irrelevant things on the internet, and conversely, I could never understand why they wouldn't just look it up when they didn't know about something. 

This forum consists of those people who think for themselves, ask questions, and keep an open mind.
amencon

Activity: 410

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:31:23 PM

I've had a few friends read Erik Voorhees' introduction to Bitcoin (which btw, I think is phenomenal and you should read now if you haven't already).  http://evoorhees.blogspot.com/2012/04/bitcoin-libertarian-introduction.html

But like I said above, the responses I've gotten have been extremely skeptical.  What's really frustrating is that nobody seems to have much interest in actually challenging the argument that Bitcoin will be revolutionary.  Instead, I get the impression that they find something about the whole idea itself threatening (then again, that might be a response to the feverish look in my eyes as I explain it  Wink).  Most recently, when I pressed a friend for specific objections, here are the two he offered: (1) "it's too complicated; only geeks are going to be into it" and (2) "what's to stop someone else from copying the idea (or improving upon it) and coming out with 'Bytecoin'?"  I answered the first with the "internet before the invention of the web browser" analogy.  I further explained the positive feedback loop of network growth --> increased value --> increased incentive for user-friendly tools and innovations --> network growth, etc.  Re: the second objection, I explained network effects and Bitcoin's tremendous first-mover advantage. 

Of course, none of that convinced him.  Finally, his response was "well, I just don't see it happening." WTF?
Remember, most of the world's population still believe in fairies and monsters and things that go bump in the night.  Not a large stretch to imagine them having difficulty grokking bitcoin.  The good news is that you won't likely ever have to convince your friend or others like him.  If bitcoin gains the recognition we all hope it does, these people won't ever have to comprehend your arguments and will use it instead due to appeals to authority.
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 10:06:24 PM
Last edit: November 08, 2013, 10:28:54 PM by antimattercrusader

According to wikipedia, roughly 5.3 billion troy ounces of gold have been mined in all of human history.  Gold is currently trading at around $1600 a troy ounce which means that the total market value of all of the world's mined gold is approximately $8.5 trillion.  The demand for gold (and hence its price) is not driven entirely by its monetary usefulness because it has other uses such as jewelry and electronics.  But a non-trivial fraction of its price comes from its usefulness as money.  How big is that fraction? Let's be conservative and say it's only 25%.  That means that gold's total "money value" is around $2 trillion. Let's pretend as a simplifying assumption that all 21 million bitcoins have been mined.  The total value of those coins based on a current price of $6.40 is $134 million.  134 million is smaller than 2 trillion.  Bitcoin is supposedly a "better" money than gold when you evaluate it according to all the characteristics that make for good money, e.g., it's divisible, fungible, durable, portable, identifiable, and scarce.  And yet, (using all of the previous assumptions) if bitcoins were valued ONLY 1/1000th as much as "monetary" gold, they'd be worth a total of $2 billion, i.e. roughly $95 / BTC. If they were valued AS MUCH as monetary gold, they'd be worth $95,000 a piece. Of course, since bitcoins are at least 10 times BETTER than gold, they should really be worth no less than $950,000 each. And yet, I can't help but notice that I still live with my parents and drive an '89 Geo Metro. That raises a few questions:

1) Why aren't I filthy rich yet?
2) Any other dreamers willing to post their pie-in-the-sky, insanely bullish predictions for what a bitcoin could be worth in terms of purchasing power if it proves to be as revolutionary as we hope it will be?

AND

3) It seems like a lot of people are very focused on bitcoin's adoption by merchants, i.e. the "medium of exchange" aspect of currency, as the key to its success. But couldn't bitcoin still be insanely successful (in terms of its value) if it took off ONLY as a store of value? (And isn't that mostly how gold is used?)

Well, two years later, hopefully you are not NOW filthy rich, market cap now @ 4 billion. Smiley

Sorry it took so long!

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 10:29:02 PM

I think most people assume that things which they don't understand are much more complicated than they really are. That puts them off doing any research into new concepts such as cryptocurrency.

I have always taken an interest in things which I don't understand. It seems like the most natural thing in the world to just 'ask Google' when you don't know something - I mean, that's what it's for, right? My friends could never understand why I spent time looking up seemingly irrelevant things on the internet, and conversely, I could never understand why they wouldn't just look it up when they didn't know about something. 

This forum consists of those people who think for themselves, ask questions, and keep an open mind.

I think that's part of the people for sure, Tirapon, but there are also quite a few on the opposite side of the spectrum as well. i.e., They assume they understand everything, and if you present something like bitcoin, and they have not heard of it yet, then they will automatically try to classify it as something they already have a good understanding of. In most cases, this would be "Ponzi scheme" or "fad" etc. as the idea of a new revolutionary idea that they haven't heard about is very unlikely in their mind. I have the hardest time dealing with these kinds of people. I will generally focus too much on one particular aspect of bitcoin that debunks their classification, only to have them reclassify it as something else on the spot. "Oh, well in that case it's _____." It's frustrating because these are smart people, with a lack of vision. Also, in some ways, their refusal to accept that you know more about this thing than they do, feels like an insult, but I know better than that. It's just a thought process, and it's a valid one most of the time. There's one person in particular who always comes back at me with "bitcoins aren't real", which I can't even understand. How are you determining what's real? Are dollars real? Are there authorities on realness? Does realness provide value? I'm not sure what you're saying!
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 01:04:01 AM

I remember in class at any level (all the way through university) I was the one asking many (stupid) questions. Most people just like to keep quiet to avoid standing out I guess. Most people want to be normal. Being normal is the last thing I'd want to be.
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 01:15:13 AM

I remember in class at any level (all the way through university) I was the one asking many (stupid) questions. Most people just like to keep quiet to avoid standing out I guess. Most people want to be normal. Being normal is the last thing I'd want to be.

+1 being normal is being stupid, nearly by definition.

Look at how many people brag about how bad they are at whatever topic (Math typically) to try and fit in. Instead of bragging about being stupid - or in some people's cases (especially women) actually pretending to be stupid when in fact they're not - how about being like... oh shit! I need to use the restroom real quick, while frantically googling whatever they don't know - then coming back and learning/contributing to the topic?  (In your case kudos to asking questions)

HA! no. Stupid = Cool. Look at our reality TV. Look at our society. Look at every-damn-thing.

So, +1 wachtwoord....who wants to be "normal"? Fuck that.

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 02:14:52 PM

Why aren't I filthy rich yet? It's been like two years.

Taxes.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: