Bitcoin Forum
September 01, 2024, 07:23:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: newb alert: cold storage ?s and what to do next  (Read 1113 times)
akbtcnewb (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 06:15:24 PM

Electrum pros,
Here is my situation:
I have some btc in offline, encrypted cold storage using the bitcoin qt and xp.  The wallet.dat file has been backed up and securely stored.
I only have this one cold storage wallet but have created multiple recving address in a sorta misguided attempt to break my cold storage up into chunks.
Using Electrum, I would like to keep my cold storage btc offline in any scenario, but I don't like the idea of needing to keep backups of my btc qt wallet.dat files and
I'd like to get away from using btc qt. entirely.
Do I need to install btc qt on my online cpu, import my wallet.dat file from my cold storage, sync with the block chain then redistribute my btc between my online and offline Electrum wallets?
Doesn't this method expose my cold storage coins to the evil interwebs?
What might you all suggest to evolve my storage situation in the most secure way?
Thanks so much for any assistance.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 10:10:57 PM

Electrum pros,
Here is my situation:
I have some btc in offline, encrypted cold storage using the bitcoin qt and xp.  The wallet.dat file has been backed up and securely stored.
I only have this one cold storage wallet but have created multiple recving address in a sorta misguided attempt to break my cold storage up into chunks.
Using Electrum, I would like to keep my cold storage btc offline in any scenario, but I don't like the idea of needing to keep backups of my btc qt wallet.dat files and
I'd like to get away from using btc qt. entirely.
Do I need to install btc qt on my online cpu, import my wallet.dat file from my cold storage, sync with the block chain then redistribute my btc between my online and offline Electrum wallets?
Doesn't this method expose my cold storage coins to the evil interwebs?
What might you all suggest to evolve my storage situation in the most secure way?
Thanks so much for any assistance.

First you will want to create a cold storage electrum wallet, and I assume you know how to do that safely
(the computer that generates the wallet should be one that was never online and never will be).

Then generate an OFFLINE SIGNED TRANSACTION using qt.  Copy that signed transaction only
onto an online machine and broadcast it.  The transaction should be sending your coins to
one of your electrum receiving addresses.

By using offline signed transactions, your cold storage never leaves cold storage.  That
is the safe and proper way to move coins out of cold storage.

akbtcnewb (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 11:10:43 PM

Thanks for replying and for the info.
Couple ?s.....

You said:
Then generate an OFFLINE SIGNED TRANSACTION using qt.

Are you referring to the Bitcoin QT(my current cold wallet)?

You said:
Copy that signed transaction only
onto an online machine and broadcast it.

Could you elaborate?  Am I broadcasting it using bitcoin qt or electrum or......?
What is the step by step to pull this off?

Again, thanks.  Very much appreciated.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 11:53:21 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2014, 07:03:37 AM by jonald_fyookball

yes referring to qt since that is where your coins are now.
I dont know the details of doing an offline transaction
with qt but I know it is possible and it is what you need to do
in this situation if you want a high security way to move
your coins out of cold storage.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: