Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:56:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaned app cache, lost Bitcoins. WTF?  (Read 1803 times)
Daytez (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 12:24:15 PM

Hi everyone, I searched for forum for an answer but was not in luck. Basically I put some Bitcoins in my wallet and was then going to transfer the coins (not a lot, only 6.575) but the app was really slow and laggy so I closed it down, killed all processes and used an app cleaner to clean all the app caches. My phone is full to bursting but I find after a cache sweep I get a bit more performance. Anyway, when I opened Bitcoin Wallet all my coins were gone and so was the wallet. I'm positive that the app cleaner has something to do with it and I may have made an ultimate noob mistake but is there a way to recover the wallet data and Bitcoins? For the record I am on android 2.3.7 running cyanogen mod 7 and the app is Bitcoin Wallet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 12:26:48 PM

Sorry charlie, you're screwed.  You didn't know where the wallet file was stored when you ran the cleaner and blew it away.

These cleaners are a waste of time and money.  You can't make your computer faster by deleting the contents of the app cache.  Stop doing that.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 12:28:59 PM

Try a data recovery program, and pray for god that your deleted cache is found.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 12:42:04 PM

The bitcoin wallet location:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory
Rugatu

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 12:45:44 PM

Hi everyone, I searched for forum for an answer but was not in luck. Basically I put some Bitcoins in my wallet and was then going to transfer the coins (not a lot, only 6.575) but the app was really slow and laggy so I closed it down, killed all processes and used an app cleaner to clean all the app caches. My phone is full to bursting but I find after a cache sweep I get a bit more performance. Anyway, when I opened Bitcoin Wallet all my coins were gone and so was the wallet. I'm positive that the app cleaner has something to do with it and I may have made an ultimate noob mistake but is there a way to recover the wallet data and Bitcoins? For the record I am on android 2.3.7 running cyanogen mod 7 and the app is Bitcoin Wallet.

You still have your private keys in the app dir. I assume you're using the this android wallet.

Hit menu key then "Preferences (advanced)". The last option on the about page should be "Reset blockchain", hit that and then "Reset blockchain and transactions" then restart the app. It should start downloading the blockchain again and scan for your bitcoins right away.

Have any questions? Q&A with BTCitcoins on Rugatu
Daytez (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 12:53:15 PM

Yeah, that's the one. I reset the blockchain now but the wallet ID is different. I have the wallet ID written down if that helps in some way.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 01:01:20 PM

I hope you'll manage to get your coins back.

But dude, think about it. If you're storing money on your phone WITHOUT HAVING A BACKUP, what happens if you lose your phone? If it gets stolen? If it breaks down? If its harddisk crashes? If you accidentally drop it in on a rail road track right when the intercity express passes by? Shit like that happens, you know! (and not just with phones, same goes for laptops and PCs)

By all means BACKUP YOUR WALLET. And of course make sure to back it up in some encrypted format, so nobody else who might get access to your backup can steal your money.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Daytez (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 01:02:20 PM

Sorry charlie, you're screwed.  You didn't know where the wallet file was stored when you ran the cleaner and blew it away.

These cleaners are a waste of time and money.  You can't make your computer faster by deleting the contents of the app cache.  Stop doing that.

Yep, pretty sure it's gone but I couldn't give up straight away.
Daytez (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 01:06:07 PM

But dude, think about it. If you're storing money on your phone WITHOUT HAVING A BACKUP, what happens if you lose your phone? If it gets stolen? If it breaks down? If its harddisk crashes? If you accidentally drop it in on a rail road track right when the intercity express passes by? Shit like that happens, you know! (and not just with phones, same goes for laptops and PCs)

By all means BACKUP YOUR WALLET. And of course make sure to back it up in some encrypted format, so nobody else who might get access to your backup can steal your money.

Everything is backed up. I never use the same wallet as I very infrequently use Bitcoins and because space is at a premium anything not used on the phone is deleted and reinstalled when needed. Pretty sure I just learnt a hard lesson.
Rugatu

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 01:08:11 PM

Yeah, that's the one. I reset the blockchain now but the wallet ID is different. I have the wallet ID written down if that helps in some way.

It seems like something is not right indeed and one of your cleaning apps did way too much in there. As you already have rooted your phone, install root explorer and navigate your way to "/data/data/de.schildbach.wallet/files/". You should encounter some backup files that have your private keys there. Long press the first one and select "view as text" so you can view the private keys that start with a 5. You could import those keys to your existing desktop wallet or sweep them at mtgox.com or blockchain.info.

If you chose the sweep option, don't send to that bitcoin address again because you could be left without your coins.

Daytez (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 01:22:07 PM

It seems like something is not right indeed and one of your cleaning apps did way too much in there. As you already have rooted your phone, install root explorer and navigate your way to "/data/data/de.schildbach.wallet/files/". You should encounter some backup files that have your private keys there. Long press the first one and select "view as text" so you can view the private keys that start with a 5. You could import those keys to your existing desktop wallet or sweep them at mtgox.com or blockchain.info.

If you chose the sweep option, don't send to that bitcoin address again because you could be left without your coins.

Thanks, will give it a try now. I really appreciate the help so far.
Rugatu

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 01:28:46 PM

Everything is backed up. I never use the same wallet as I very infrequently use Bitcoins and because space is at a premium anything not used on the phone is deleted and reinstalled when needed. Pretty sure I just learnt a hard lesson.

Kazimir actually bitcoin has an advantage here, it can be backed up!

Imagine all of that happening to your normal wallet. I still didn't figure out how to backup up my paper bills.

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 01:59:16 PM

Everything is backed up.
Ah OK, well in that case there's always a way to get your money back.

Imagine all of that happening to your normal wallet. I still didn't figure out how to backup up my paper bills.
Yep, fully agree Smiley

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Daytez (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:12:49 PM

Pretty sure the files in aren't what I need, it seems that they were created at least an hour after I lost my coins. How would I sweep into mtgox or blockchain I might as well see what happens.
Daytez (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:13:48 PM

Everything is backed up.
Ah OK, well in that case there's always a way to get your money back.

Yep, fully agree Smiley

All my personal data is backed up. Bitcoin wallet was not.
Rugatu

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 02:14:22 PM

Pretty sure the files in aren't what I need, it seems that they were created at least an hour after I lost my coins. How would I sweep into mtgox or blockchain I might as well see what happens.

So you uninstalled the app completely? Try restoring a full app backup if you did one with TitaniumBackup.

I'm afraid you really lost the coins if you uninstalled it without doing a full app backup. Sorry

Daytez (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:23:46 PM

So you uninstalled the app completely? Try restoring a full app backup if you did one with TitaniumBackup.

I'm afraid you really lost the coins if you uninstalled it without doing a full app backup. Sorry

No, everytime I send Bitcoins I delete the app after they're sent. Today I reinstalled the app, loaded Bitcoins, then cleaned the cache, went back in and exited. I went back in to try resetting the blockchain but that didn't work. I'm pretty sure I need to recover the cache but I wouldn't mind trying the sweep thing just in case. I'm not with MtGox though, I use Intersango.
Rugatu

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 02:32:07 PM

No, everytime I send Bitcoins I delete the app after they're sent. Today I reinstalled the app, loaded Bitcoins, then cleaned the cache, went back in and exited. I went back in to try resetting the blockchain but that didn't work. I'm pretty sure I need to recover the cache but I wouldn't mind trying the sweep thing just in case. I'm not with MtGox though, I use Intersango.

If you used the blockchain reset option wait a few hours until you is completely synced. Your bitcoins should appear if they have at least one confirm in the blockchain. The android wallet doesn't store the private keys in the OS's cache only the blockchain and transaction data.

Daytez (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:55:16 PM

When I went back in after the cache wipe it was a whole new wallet. I'm pretty sure I'm screwed... Thanks for taking the time to help me out though, I'll chalk this up as a loss and learn from it. The app developer suggested I contact the wallet dev as they may have some data on their server. I'm new to all this but I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't have any info at all. Again, thanks for trying.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: