Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:13:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea: age verification by university quiz  (Read 2384 times)
frisco2 (OP)

Activity: 312
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:26:56 PM

The idea is: when you go to an adult site, instead of just asking to click a button "I'm over 18" ask them to solve a university level question that they wouldn't know how to solve unless they have a university course. The answer can't be multiple choice, but must be free form typing.

Example, with math:

What mathematician proved that for any prime number P, and any number A: A^P = A (mod P)

Last Name: _________

Or:

What theorem relates area integral of curl to volume integral of divergence?

Name: _______

Or:

What is the name of a polynomial whose roots are eigenvalues of a matrix?

_________ polynomial   (hint: starts with letter C)

There could be a drop-down choice of questions from different fields. For people who study biology:

What molecule generates a protein from DNA ?

Name: ________

This could be a service implemented in the style of CAPTCHA widgets.

Bounty: https://booster.io/tipjar/0C8TU2O

Crosspass -- a simple way to send passwords, encryption keys, bitcoin addresses, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:33:30 PM

Lowest traffic site evar.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:34:07 PM

Google-fu knows no age limits

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:35:22 PM

Yeah, I can see a gentleman's club that requires those answers from their dancers. Let's see what kind of dancers they get. Anyone?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:51:42 PM

This is not about dancers, it is about visitors to the site.

Crosspass -- a simple way to send passwords, encryption keys, bitcoin addresses, etc.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 04:12:14 PM

This is not about dancers, it is about visitors to the site.
Whew, you had me worried there. Since I don't patronize those sites, I don't have an opinion. Even if I did, that would mean I understood what you're talking about, which I derp.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 04:21:20 PM

________ polynomial   (hint: starts with letter C)

1. What % of people under 18 couldn't copy/paste that into google and get "Characteristic" within 30 seconds.

More importantly
2. What % of people 18 and over do you think could actually answer that question without looking it up in the first place.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 04:22:41 PM

________ polynomial   (hint: starts with letter C)

1. What % of people under 18 couldn't copy/paste that into google and get "Characteristic" within 30 seconds.

More importantly
2. What % of people 18 and over do you think could actually answer that question without looking it up in the first place.
+1

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 04:40:04 PM

Question #1 is a trick question. It's Fermat's little theorem and it was stated by Fermat, but its first known proof is by Euler. I say this after looking it up, but I did pretty good from memory - "Hm, Euler or Fermat? Hey, isn't this thing called Fermat's little theorem? But wait, didn't Fermat have a notorious habit not to prove anything?"

Question #3 is wrong. There are many polynomials whose set of roots equals the set of eigenvalues of a matrix. And you can't sidestep this by saying "by multiplicity" because the algebraic multiplicity can be different from the geometric multiplicity.

Anyway, I don't know how serious you are with this, but these days kids know more than their parents (and more generally age explains only a tiny fraction of the variance in knowledge between people), so trying to deduce age based on knowledge is futile. Basically only people who have recently studied a relevant course have better than average chance at a solution.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 04:48:03 PM

Anyway, I don't know how serious you are with this, but these days kids know more than their parents (and more generally age explains only a tiny fraction of the variance in knowledge between people), so trying to deduce age based on knowledge is futile. Basically only people who have recently studied a relevant course or can use a search engine have better than average chance at a solution.
FTFY Wink

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 04:51:47 PM

Is this an age verification or an non-American verification quiz?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 04:53:45 PM

Is this an age verification or an non-American verification quiz?

I see what you did there Cheesy
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 05:00:55 PM

Question #1 is a trick question. It's Fermat's little theorem and it was stated by Fermat, but its first known proof is by Euler. I say this after looking it up, but I did pretty good from memory - "Hm, Euler or Fermat? Hey, isn't this thing called Fermat's little theorem? But wait, didn't Fermat have a notorious habit not to prove anything?"

Question #3 is wrong. There are many polynomials whose set of roots equals the set of eigenvalues of a matrix. And you can't sidestep this by saying "by multiplicity" because the algebraic multiplicity can be different from the geometric multiplicity.

Anyway, I don't know how serious you are with this, but these days kids know more than their parents (and more generally age explains only a tiny fraction of the variance in knowledge between people), so trying to deduce age based on knowledge is futile. Basically only people who have recently studied a relevant course have better than average chance at a solution.
+1. This idea will not keep the determined kids out, but will keep the bored adults out. No sane adult site will implement this.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 11:29:06 PM

Also you shut out any internationals that don't understand mathematical terms in english.

The idea itself is quite interesting, as pre-schoolers who haven't even seen an integral equation will be dumbstruck (but a large part of the population above 18 too...!) - it might not be the right thing to determine someone is above or below 18 years old. Also depending on the question domain, it will be hard to have a fairly unique question for everyone. Duplicates would then probably quickly be spotted + solved, depending on how attractive the site is this "captcha" protects.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 11:55:48 PM

This is an idea I had this morning, so I posted it. Seemed like a good idea.  

I don't think a Google search will find an answer to a math question that is displayed as a formula.  For example  "A^P = P (mod P)" google finds. But: "a^v = a (mod v)" it doesn't. Just have to be creative about the questions.  Also, if you use shorthand formulas rather than words it is harder for google to find it.

It is true that if you have studied it you could look it up.  But if you haven't at all, it would take a lot of work to look it up.

Like I said, not all people studied math, but then they studied some other subject, and there you could be a drop down selection for subjects.  So for History question, for example, the trick would be to use blanks creatively, and to phraze it without any key words. E.g. "Which Roman general beat a huge, unexpected, army that came from the north, was hailed, and then rejected in disgrace for political reasons ?"

!! Also, here is a variation on the idea.  Just create a kind of Tiny URL shortener, than puts a quiz in front of a page. Basically, to enter, one must have some knowledge.  This can be great for geek sites.  Maybe it can also allow users to score points. There could be a hunt for these links.  Kind of like a distributed version of Quora.  This can convert advertising into a kind of "Dumas Club".

drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 04:15:11 AM

page full of people saying its a bad idea

OP ignores them and keeps talking

/thread

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 04:18:44 AM

This is an idea I had this morning, so I posted it. Seemed like a good idea.  

I don't think a Google search will find an answer to a math question that is displayed as a formula.  For example  "A^P = P (mod P)" google finds. But: "a^v = a (mod v)" it doesn't. Just have to be creative about the questions.  Also, if you use shorthand formulas rather than words it is harder for google to find it.

It is true that if you have studied it you could look it up.  But if you haven't at all, it would take a lot of work to look it up.

Like I said, not all people studied math, but then they studied some other subject, and there you could be a drop down selection for subjects.  So for History question, for example, the trick would be to use blanks creatively, and to phraze it without any key words. E.g. "Which Roman general beat a huge, unexpected, army that came from the north, was hailed, and then rejected in disgrace for political reasons ?"

!! Also, here is a variation on the idea.  Just create a kind of Tiny URL shortener, than puts a quiz in front of a page. Basically, to enter, one must have some knowledge.  This can be great for geek sites.  Maybe it can also allow users to score points. There could be a hunt for these links.  Kind of like a distributed version of Quora.  This can convert advertising into a kind of "Dumas Club".

http://www.wolframalpha.com/
yodog

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 04:21:51 AM

lol

STUPIDEST IDEA EVER!

OP you must be stupid if you think any 18+ website would implement this...
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 04:35:02 AM

You understand that page is only there to avoid lawsuits and not to keep persons -18 out, don't you?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 05:27:40 AM

Require webcam, have the visitor capture and upload imagery of their genitals (it must be from the attached image-capturing device), have site app determine whether genital (or breast) size is large enough to be considered an adult.

Duh.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: