Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:21:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Critical mass community  (Read 1726 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 05:19:00 PM

It would be a good experiment to find a small community where all of the merchants and the citizens could be given the tools and perhaps a few starter Bitcoins as a trial run and let Bitcoins take hold as their currency of choice.

The key would be that it has to be small enough where almost everyone in the community can be converted, they would likely need to be young and perhaps tech savvy, and they would have to do a fair amount of in-town spending of their money.

There are plenty of small redneck towns but they would likely reject anything new. Perhaps a small college community would be a good start, or something along those lines.

I was thinking along the lines of giving everyone a Bitcoincard once it comes out along with like 2 Bitcoins each to get things started.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 05:20:39 PM

Maybe the Amish?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 05:53:29 PM

You know I thought about this earlier... perhaps going back to the community in North Carolina that was using the Liberty Dollar. They got shut down when the feds raided Liberty Dollar, but that couldn't happen with bitcoins of course...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1zf2ymYRwc&feature=related

Maybe we should reach out to Kevin Innes.
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 05:58:06 PM

The Reddit Island  Grin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84708.0
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 06:03:01 PM

Then we need this
bitlizard

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 06:07:16 PM

Maybe the Amish?

LOL! bitcoin could present a moral paradox for the Amish? 'to use the voluntary non-violent currency of the future, or continue using to the slave paper of the past?'

If I was Amish, I would quietly opt for bitcoin.

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: OpenPGP.js v.1.20130820
Comment: http://openpgpjs.org

xo0EUhf9FQED/0sL3rfa9DYObowd03us1FpzLw5l5FteaeUnArz68lp9HNqP
VXixNNHRW4Zozm+wPcU68D8IdfgKJamLEYuQcrN9Dy35TllW9djSTYz1D5Cl
ITa/88kYXUurCG5vzoYujXEBggCz/+VsHhwsDC1U+PFUAmrWyii9UEmu2Nwm
aNBZABEBAAHNIlJlZ2FuIE1pbG5lIDxyZWdhbm1pbG5lQGdtYWlsLmNvbT7C
nAQQAQgAEAUCUhf9FwkQ6+hDAft7/iQAADjEA/sFZG4B3SfwsoEzXHa9Rq/A
QabkxwnDR4BIm0zq2YfAuk08yZA0lbvaYE8mlPt3Xb2NmlErC3g/ymfktx2m
NrhP6BRXmPP/b4E+EPSbKBeLI/+eCP6BwPLEpZYQrHxg0eHLwYNQTK5f6SxK
7vcxO/OaBmcvo9ZAHDKkP3HJiqRZyw==
=feLE
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 07:35:56 PM

It would be a good experiment to find a small community where all of the merchants and the citizens could be given the tools and perhaps a few starter Bitcoins as a trial run and let Bitcoins take hold as their currency of choice.

Incidentally, a link to your previous thread on the topic:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86828.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 07:42:51 PM

Maybe the Amish?

LOL! bitcoin could present a moral paradox for the Amish? 'to use the voluntary non-violent currency of the future, or continue using to the slave paper of the past?'

Casascius coins FTW!

Cheesy

some casascius coins should be headed my way here soon

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 07:49:23 PM

Maybe the Amish?

Casascius coins FTW!

Cheesy

some casascius coins should be headed my way here soon

Whoa. Amish using physical bitcoin is way to meta for my brain to handle.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 02:31:48 AM

Epcot Center.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 02:35:32 AM

Maybe the Amish?

LOL!

Btw, I thought they couldn't use computers? So SneakerNetBitcoins??

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 02:46:46 AM

Epcot Center.

Using an NFC wristband perhaps?

I describe this here:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88553.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:12:47 AM

It's a misconception that Amish are technological Luddite. Rather, they evaluate new technologies and determine if it is something that they want in their community.

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:18:48 AM

It's a misconception that Amish are technological Luddite. Rather, they evaluate new technologies and determine if it is something that they want in their community.
We live near a ton of them, and it seems that they have many standards. Some use cell phones because there are no wires, and others say that is breaking the spirit of the teachings. There seems to be a sliding scale of progressiveness, depending on where you live. Some refuse to use electricity at all, and others will use it if they generate it themselves.

Several of the woodworkers nearby use an ingenious system to replace electric motors - it is a diesel engine that is connected to a driveshaft that is sunk into the floor of the woodshop. It goes across the entire length of the shop supported on pillow block bearings, and when they want to add a machine, they rip out the electric motor and plonk the machine down on top of the drive shaft. From there, it's as simple as adding a pneumatically controlled clutch and a drive belt to the shaft in the floor. They then sell the motors at auction.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 04:23:38 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_The_World

I wonder how many of these people are already aware of Bitcoin.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 04:31:33 AM

I was just thinking of the Amish because they are a fairly closed group that would more likely to agree to adopt the device. Because the card has minimal functionality, it would barely be noticed. They could also have business account cards and personal cards. Accounting could be easy if blockchain derived statements were provided for each card. A group discount exchange service could be used for awhile until their outside suppliers and customers saw the security and simplicity that Bitcoin provides and choose to adopt it themselves.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 04:39:22 AM

I was just thinking of the Amish because they are a fairly closed group that would more likely to agree to adopt the device. Because the card has minimal functionality, it would barely be noticed. They could also have business account cards and personal cards. Accounting could be easy if blockchain derived statements were provided for each card. A group discount exchange service could be used for awhile until their outside suppliers and customers saw the security and simplicity that Bitcoin provides and choose to adopt it themselves.

One of the overarching principles of the Amish, all of the various interpretations aside, is that they intend to limit their interdependence upon the non-Amish communities.  The primary reason that electricity is shunned is because, generally speaking, using it requires a dependent relationship on either a power company far away or a generator parts manufacturer & refinery far away.  Sometimes cell phones are permitted in order to allow certain members of the community to interact with outsiders on a business level, but they are certainly not personal property nor utilized by even a large minority of the community.  A bitcoin card would undoubtedly increase the Amish community's interdependence on the greater bitcoin economy, and this fact will not be missed by the elders.  Regardless of the explaintion offered, these are never going to fly in any Amish community.

Also, it wouldn't fly because the Amish don't really use currencies within their communities anyway, as it's mostly a cross between a barter & a gift economy.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 08:00:46 AM

Gamers.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: