Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:10:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open bazzar, Uber and Bitcoin  (Read 3294 times)
redhawk979

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 02:20:31 AM

Uber is literally the worst. They admitted to tracking everything people were doing on their phones, they lie about enforcing rules for background checks, but everyone wants to keep fellating them because "lol free market at work". They are the definition of bad actors. They don't give two shits.
tropical0101

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 02:22:58 AM

Uber is literally the worst. They admitted to tracking everything people were doing on their phones, they lie about enforcing rules for background checks, but everyone wants to keep fellating them because "lol free market at work". They are the definition of bad actors. They don't give two shits.

sorry if this is a stupid question, (i know what is Open Bazaar) but what is Uber?
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 02:29:53 AM

sorry if this is a stupid question, (i know what is Open Bazaar) but what is Uber?

A  mobile app that allows anyone to be a cab.

EnFinlay

Activity: 15

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2014, 02:56:09 AM

So many uber haters...why?

Everyone loves joining in on a hate fest.  It says more about people than Uber, I think.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 03:12:55 AM

-snip-

(note: its just plain stupid to ban Uber just because 1 Uber driver is a criminal. also normal registered taxidrivers killed and raped customers in the past.)

-snip-

U r trying to oversimplify the issue here. Uber said they do police verification, whereas they dint. Uber costs far more than normal taxi service in India. Why will customer pay extra for false claim ? This is a case where authorities are taking correct step.

Are you fcking dense? You think your local taxi company also does 100% verification? In NY, taxi driver crime related are every fcking month.

As for the cost, let the market decide dumb ass. If riders agree to pay higher than regular taxi then its their call. Maybe your regular taxi is fcking FILTHY?
malaimult

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 05:38:07 AM

They really are the free market at work. While I certainly do not approve of what is probably their dishonesty regarding background and driving checks, their supply/demand based pricing is going to allow both the drivers and the customers the best deal the market will allow, while any fixed rate pricing will always cause either the customer or the driver to get a worse then otherwise available deal

Notanon

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 09:10:06 AM

There was a story here in Australia this week about some bloody do gooders making citizens arrest on Uber drivers, probably hired by the taxi operators.

Yeah, was a hire car driver in Sydney who was partnered up with Uber Black at one point, allegedly.

Funnily enough, Uber have been working with the Western Australian State Government to make sure that they are operating lawfully, including getting background checks and an appropriate extension on the licenses of drivers that wish to be involved.
ArieNLG

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 09:23:38 AM

Same overe here gouvernement try to shut it down because in holland taxi and  gouvernement are the same mafia clann

+10  uber
tropical0101

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 02:38:25 PM

So how these applications can be similar to each other? where can I read about it? any link?
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 02:53:29 PM

So how these applications can be similar to each other? where can I read about it? any link?
https://www.uber.com/
So many uber haters...why?

Everyone loves joining in on a hate fest.  It says more about people than Uber, I think.

Some months ago I realized how much people are hating on google. They are for sure no saints, but I still like them more, than the other big players, since they are more open about what they are doing.
I remember some years back, google was the internet messiah ...

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 10:52:26 PM

If a country bans Uber, that would be a great news for freedom. I just can't understand how some people can enjoy this service. It's like having the CIA watching all your moves. Taxis are anonymous and you can pay cash, that's what I like.

Uber has many benefits. One being simplified commuting.
Type in address and they arrive; can even choose a luxury car.

Cab?...need to call, creepy drivers, confusion, expensive, rude, dirty, etc.

Simplified?
You need a smartphone, you need to download an app, you need to register, you need a credit card, then you need to type...

It's easier to call a taxi to me. I don't know if it's more expensive, but I know I always prefer to hire the service of a professional, and nobody records my commuting.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
DonQuijote
Legendary

Activity: 1551
Merit: 1002

♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚&#

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 11:24:36 PM

If a country bans Uber, that would be a great news for freedom. I just can't understand how some people can enjoy this service. It's like having the CIA watching all your moves. Taxis are anonymous and you can pay cash, that's what I like.

Uber has many benefits. One being simplified commuting.
Type in address and they arrive; can even choose a luxury car.

Cab?...need to call, creepy drivers, confusion, expensive, rude, dirty, etc.

Simplified?
You need a smartphone, you need to download an app, you need to register, you need a credit card, then you need to type...

It's easier to call a taxi to me. I don't know if it's more expensive, but I know I always prefer to hire the service of a professional, and nobody records my commuting.

Why are you so concerned about people knowing your whereabouts?
Are you a bulgarian gangster who launders money or?...if so, I understand.

If not, you have no reason to hate uber.  Undecided
Some people prefer to pay for a service with accident insurance

THE INGENIOUS GENTLEMAN DON QUIXOTE OF LA MANCHA
♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚♝♞♜ BTC tip: 39gUUFdJBdKWXnLoh3PMNX9eUz3DwakBKq
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 12:42:54 AM

Uber drivers have $1MM in coverage.

It helps the conversation when you know WTF you're talking about and don't have to be corrected with remedial lessons readily available on Google.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
elvizzzzzzz

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 07:13:03 AM

You break into the taxi service office and wipe their computers?
DonQuijote
Legendary

Activity: 1551
Merit: 1002

♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚&#

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 09:43:51 PM

It helps the conversation when you know WTF you're talking about and don't have to be corrected with remedial lessons readily available on Google.
But... no all uber-drivers are "legal". They give them a card and work freely.

THE INGENIOUS GENTLEMAN DON QUIXOTE OF LA MANCHA
♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚♝♞♜ BTC tip: 39gUUFdJBdKWXnLoh3PMNX9eUz3DwakBKq
NarC

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

BitcoinStoreStarter.com

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2014, 09:48:18 PM

Taxi unions must be shitting themselves but why would governments care or try to shut down car pool services?

A taxi license is like 100k or something silly like that. If everyone uses uber the govt misses out on a lot.

jdbtracker

Activity: 727

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 01:59:40 AM

It always comes down to the Taxes and license costs. Municipalities are charging those licenses according to how much they would have earned through public transport. They are going to fight for their cut of the pie, unless Uber realizes this they will be fought all the way can't cut out the Governments Transportation Cash Cow.

They have to incorporate a way of allowing these municipalities to earn something from the work of their citizens, it would ease the Rhetoric.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
malaimult

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 02:39:55 AM

There have been a number of instances when the passenger in an Uber vehicle was injured in an accident and the insurance did not cover their medical costs.

The $1 million of coverage is only effective when the Uber app is "on" and they are "officially" a fare of the driver. While you may think this is a simple concept, it has caused people not to be covered by their insurance when they really "should" have been

http://www.laweekly.com/informer/2014/06/19/uber-lyft-riders-might-not-be-covered-by-insurance-industry-claims

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 05:51:20 AM

There have been a number of instances when the passenger in an Uber vehicle was injured in an accident and the insurance did not cover their medical costs.

The $1 million of coverage is only effective when the Uber app is "on" and they are "officially" a fare of the driver. While you may think this is a simple concept, it has caused people not to be covered by their insurance when they really "should" have been

http://www.laweekly.com/informer/2014/06/19/uber-lyft-riders-might-not-be-covered-by-insurance-industry-claims

That article is six months old and completely out of date.

Thanks to some high-profile cases and legislative action, ridesharing networks have improved their insurance coverage.

I've taken a few rides on Lyft and one on Uber.  Both services provided experiences far superior and more economical than using a cab.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
edward_cullen

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 02:30:43 PM

Seems like a massive over-reaction, it's like banning breathing so you cant get lung cancer. Maybe common-sense will prevail...

Essentially.
Cab drivers are simply jealous.

I don't think the situation is as simple as that, there are more factors to consider.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: