Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:47:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook removes his "credits" and introduces local currencies  (Read 2845 times)
Dusty (OP)

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 08:06:37 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2012, 09:43:06 AM by hazek

https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2012/06/19/introducing-subscriptions-and-local-currency-pricing/

Facebook admits that their credits was not working at all:
Since we introduced Credits in 2009, most games on Facebook have implemented their own virtual currencies, reducing the need for a platform-wide virtual currency. As a result, we are updating our payments product to support pricing in local currency (ex: US dollar, British pound and Japanese yen) instead of Credits.

I wonder if this is because of the strange "credits" issue (and thus be related to bitcoins too), or to avoid the 30% fee that facebook keeps...

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 08:14:19 PM

I developed an MMO gaming engine that was an over head 2d flash game. It had zombies, survivors, shooting guns, lots of weapons, flame throwers, side missions, lag reduction algorithims, and anti hack check sums the game was open world with vast levels to explore.  Right when i was about release it facebook scraped the option to allow credit card and put in their policy that any one not using facebook credits would have their game removed so i made my own website to facilitate alt payments of course scince it wasnt on facebook any more no body was interested and all my beta testers dropped off and everyone lost interest. Lol no im kinda mad i didnt save my code now that they brought the policy back to normal. Maybe illl just use jmonkeyengine next time instead.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 08:15:33 PM

Lol no im kinda mad i didnt save my code now that they brought the policy back to normal.
Why would you ever delete any source code? Why?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 08:22:39 PM

The 30% fee is probably enough to upset many people.

There are some lawsuits/cases against Facebook: http://stopfacebookcredits.com/
This may be another reason.

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 08:28:10 PM

I doubt they'll allow bitcoins but interesting nonetheless.

Actually scratch that, why focus on the negative right? I guess the good news is their experiment of digital currency failed which eliminates a Bitcoin's potential competitor.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 10:13:01 PM

tl;dr...  (IMO) producing a virtual currency is hard, and the governments would prefer that we use fiat

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 10:54:00 PM

I developed an MMO gaming engine that was an over head 2d flash game. It had zombies, survivors, shooting guns, lots of weapons, flame throwers, side missions, lag reduction algorithims, and anti hack check sums the game was open world with vast levels to explore.  Right when i was about release it facebook scraped the option to allow credit card and put in their policy that any one not using facebook credits would have their game removed so i made my own website to facilitate alt payments of course scince it wasnt on facebook any more no body was interested and all my beta testers dropped off and everyone lost interest. Lol no im kinda mad i didnt save my code now that they brought the policy back to normal. Maybe illl just use jmonkeyengine next time instead.

You wrote a huge game, even had it beta-tested and didn't bother to "save" it? How do you even test it without "saving" it?

seriously dude, we're supposed to believe you deleted the sourcecode to a game you probably spent months coding?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 10:59:45 PM

You wrote a huge game, even had it beta-tested and didn't bother to "save" it? How do you even test it without "saving" it?

seriously dude, we're supposed to believe you deleted the sourcecode to a game you probably spent months coding?

Uh sourcecontrol? I still have all of code from 10 years ago... And most of revisions.
Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 08:11:56 PM

My knowledge and experience is constantly evolving, If I save my code how will I ever know my true potential if I'm always locked in the past of old problems?  Cool
But really, Its all in my head, if i wanted to rewrite the engine I could do it again in about a day(even though the engine took 3 months to build originally) since I've embedded everything to memory it s just better to recall my research and write code in real time so that way I can incorporate my older research with new experience.

Ka peesh?

ps. now that i think about it im more mad at face book putting in that poclicy when i was finished then the fact that i deleted my source code.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 09:48:59 PM

The question of course is can a bitcoin exchange be a facebook app ?

seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:11:09 AM

My knowledge and experience is constantly evolving, If I save my code how will I ever know my true potential if I'm always locked in the past of old problems?  Cool
But really, Its all in my head, if i wanted to rewrite the engine I could do it again in about a day(even though the engine took 3 months to build originally) since I've embedded everything to memory it s just better to recall my research and write code in real time so that way I can incorporate my older research with new experience.

Ka peesh?

ps. now that i think about it im more mad at face book putting in that poclicy when i was finished then the fact that i deleted my source code.

Roll Eyes
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 02:52:27 AM

The question of course is can a bitcoin exchange be a facebook app ?

My guess: Yes, but only a fiat-to-btc exchange, not the other way around.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Dusty (OP)

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 05:12:58 AM

Also, it would not be very conveniente, because you would loose 30% on every transaction...

But could it be useful for someone nonetheless?

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
binspac

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:36:57 AM

Uh sourcecontrol? I still have all of code from 10 years ago... And most of revisions.

This, I still have source code from when I was learning how to program 8 years ago... I like to go back and lol to myself at how stupid I did things and how much I've advanced.
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 03:02:55 PM

Also, it would not be very conveniente, because you would loose 30% on every transaction...

But could it be useful for someone nonetheless?

Losing 30% on every transaction will send the business to the poor house in a very short time. Unless, the 30% FB fee only applies when cashing out?

PrintCoins

Activity: 533

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 03:33:57 PM

Ka peesh?

Don't take the criticism to harshly, it is just that most programmers learn that source control is vital to projects, even personal ones. Yes it is "all in your head", but that is just perception. It takes a lot to pull it back out of your head.

Really, take a look at git or svn. One day you will thank yourself for doing it.

Once set up all you need to do is

"git init" in a new project directory

and

git commit -am 'DESCRIPTION OF WHAT CHANGED SINCE LAST COMMIT'

It is all local, and no need for a server to set up. Of course you can push to a server, roll back changes, have multiple branches, .... But as long as you do those two commands in the root directory of your project (the second one every time a feature is complete), you will have all of those deeper options available for you whenever you like, and you will be able to see a full history of your project evolution.

This is an important step learning to work on larger projects, and most novice programmers reject it, but do so at their own peril.

-RobKohr (slight-gray-beard)

Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 07:05:59 PM

Nice advice mates, Id just rather not spam my computer with folders or take up github space(for free, im no leech).
I have an odd ability to recall code line by line with little errors, but now when my friends or family ask me about <insert some moment here> it takes awhile before i can recall what they are talking about-- those who know me think i have bad memory but i just tell them they need say the right things to trigger my brain to recall what they are referring too. Its a curse in social situations but makes me highly efficient in programming situations.

For serious project or open source projects of course i use source control its essential, in the event too many merges happened and the whole thing gets fubar'd
PrintCoins

Activity: 533

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 09:17:27 PM

No need to use github or any other server. Git init creates a local source control system in a hidden directory in the project root. I use them all over my computer for little test projects, notebooks, docs etc. Git is much more lightweight than the server oriented svn and is great for random light weight junk.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 07:56:57 AM

Nice advice mates, Id just rather not spam my computer with folders or take up github space(for free, im no leech).
I have an odd ability to recall code line by line with little errors, but now when my friends or family ask me about <insert some moment here> it takes awhile before i can recall what they are talking about-- those who know me think i have bad memory but i just tell them they need say the right things to trigger my brain to recall what they are referring too. Its a curse in social situations but makes me highly efficient in programming situations.

You, my friend, are one exceptional person. (please don't take this the wrong way)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 02:30:29 AM

You, my friend, are one exceptional person. (please don't take this the wrong way)

None taken  Cool

No need to use github or any other server. Git init creates a local source control system in a hidden directory in the project root. I use them all over my computer for little test projects, notebooks, docs etc. Git is much more lightweight than the server oriented svn and is great for random light weight junk.

I didn't think about strictly storing locally.
My situation is still the same though.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: