Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:00:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Roadmap to 1.0?  (Read 3538 times)
impulse (OP)

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 10:14:31 PM

I'm just curious if there is a roadmap anywhere to version 1.0? What are the "must-have" features for a 1.0 release? Are we likely to see a 1.0 release within the next year? Two? More? I assume the next major release will be 0.7, we'll be running out of 0.x headroom pretty soon Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 10:17:58 PM

The major feature of 1.0 release is that it is "so easy that your grandma can use bitcoins"
Realpra

Activity: 815

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 10:36:11 PM

1. It will take at least 3 years.
2. Scalability issues will have to be solved one way or the other.
3. Public key encryption of commuications between nodes needs to be added. Nodes will know each other only by public key. (prevents node fooling by connection manipulation).
4. The user should have the ability to specify the number of decimals so that satoshis are not the smallest unit.
5. The cryptographic algorithm used might need updating to prevent quantum computer related problems.
EDIT 6. The max blocksize not ignored should be settable by the miners/users, an equilibrium standard should form and evolve from then on.

4/5 are no rush Wink

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 11:45:10 PM

The things on my "good enough to be called 1.0" list are:

+ easy enough for my grandma to use
+ secure enough that it'd be hard for my grandma to lose her bitcoins, even if her computer is infected by 11 bitcoin-stealing trojans and then catches fire and explodes.
+ past the December block-reward-drops-to-25

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 11:47:04 PM

+ secure enough that it'd be hard for my grandma to lose her bitcoins, even if her computer is infected by 11 bitcoin-stealing trojans and then catches fire and explodes.

Does the grandma use include "scalable enough to fit on grandma's 40GB Dell hard drive"?
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 11:52:04 PM

Does the grandma use include "scalable enough to fit on grandma's 40GB Dell hard drive"?

zing...
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 12:12:11 AM

I'll buy my grandma a terabyte drive for Christmas.

No, seriously, a better startup experience is part of "easy to use" -- waiting hours for the blockchain to sync sucks.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 12:24:29 AM

No, seriously, a better startup experience is part of "easy to use" -- waiting hours for the blockchain to sync sucks.

'Official' lite client at some point?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 12:25:55 AM

Roger that.  Wink
bigbeninlondon

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 11:13:16 AM

'Official' lite client at some point?

This
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 01:13:12 PM

Shocked

I'm kind of surprised that even Gavin worries a bit about this.

ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 01:14:38 PM

Shocked

It's not that he worries, it's just something that we need to prove as working in production.
There's a difference between testing something in a lab (testnet) and making it work in production ... we need to get this level of confidence.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 01:15:23 PM

Shocked

It's not that he worries, it's just something that we need to prove as working in production.
There's a difference between testing something in a lab (testnet) and making it work in production ... we need to get this level of confidence.

Indeed.

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 03:44:51 PM

Hopefully the blockchain won't eat up that terabyte!  Wink  jk

I can't immediately think of anything that should be included in the 1.0 release, but I have a comment..  In the "about" page on the satoshi client, it says "This is expiremental software."  Is that going to stay there forever or will it be removed one day?
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:53:01 PM

By the way, is there any plan to implement a "header-only" mode on the main client, as Satoshi described it in his white paper?

PS.  sorry I realize it has been discussed already.

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8414

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 04:02:10 PM

By the way, is there any plan to implement a "header-only" mode on the main client, as Satoshi described it in his white paper?

People are working on something better than that which won't compromise a node's ability to function as an autonomous fully validating node but will still make things much faster and use less storage.

More important than supporting header only (SPV) mode, but rather the ability to start as a SPV node and sync-up and transition in the background.  But this isn't yet in the immediate pipeline.
dacoinminster
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 02:54:19 PM

Heh. That's on my list too:

(From my Using Memes to Explain Bitcoin)

fivebells

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 03:34:16 PM

I'd be really interested to read any existing discussions about how to reach that level of security.  Does it need specialized hardware or a centralised backup system?  (I know about multisig and how that would help, but it seems as though for that to be effective you would still need a trusted place to stand.)
maaku
Legendary
expert

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 06:08:05 PM

There was talk about using TPM modules to firewall access to private keys. That would help significantly, but I don't think this has advanced to an actual proposal yet.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 12:06:41 PM

I think we can get there by supporting 2-factor coins (computer+phone both sign transactions), real world identities for merchants (EV SSL cert signs an assertion of ownership of a Bitcoin key), paper backups of wallets and so on. No hardware needed beyond a smart phone.

I was the one who proposed using TPMs and secure CPU extensions for protection of private keys. The technology is sufficiently specialized that I don't anticipate regular end users having access to it any time soon. Merchants and exchange operators, on the other hand, could well benefit, but the expertise needed to produce such a solution is rare.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: