Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:04:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-06-20 Detlev Schlichter: The Death of Banks and the Future of Money  (Read 1696 times)
apetersson (OP)

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 10:34:41 PM

A somewhat gold-centric blog/site featuring a Bitcoin-laden Article by Detlev Schlichter, our beloved austrian economist and author of "Paper Money Collapse".

That book is sitting right here on my desk waiting to be read.

http://whiskeyandgunpowder.com/the-death-of-banks-and-the-future-of-money/

A very good take on bitcoin from a macroeconomic viewpoint, full of praise. Go read it !

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 01:56:28 AM

It involves considerable computing power, and the complex algorithm at the core of Bitcoin makes the creation of additional Bitcons more difficult (and thus more expensive) the more Bitcoins are already in existence.

The difficulty of minting bitcoin is based on difficulty of the problem, not that there are more bitcoin in existence. The difficulty of the problem is determined by hashing rate and speed of which bitcoin is minted, and is adjusted with an eye of keeping the minting rate on schedule.

Paul Troon

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 11:02:35 AM

The strongest argument in favor of Bitcoin compared to precious metals is Executive Order 6102:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102

A hybrid approach might make sense until the Bitcoin network has a longer track record.

A private gold storage company, established in a safe jurisdiction, could accept Bitcoins for gold and redeem gold for Bitcoins. Unfortunately you would lose the advantages of Bitcoin’s low holding cost and some of the safety from sovereign seizure.

But what you gain would be reduced exposure to the long term risk of Bitcoins losing value and you would still be able to access your money quickly in a bank-free form that trades more easily than gold certificates from a private reserve.

The challenge is to create a system that is immune from the risk of the exchange absconding with the gold (e.g. e-Gold).   Ideally there would be a way to trust the exchange that does not depend on recourse to the legal system.  No obvious way comes to mind.

Bitrated user: paultroon.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 08:15:47 PM

This is one of the best articles ever. In general. Schlichter just owns and I hope this one makes waves in the libertarian and goldbug communities, since there are still way too many Bitcoin skeptics in those circles.

+100 for Detlev. You're the man.

I just started reading his book "paper money collapse" btw. I'm only 10% in and he is on fire from page 1. His passion shines through, I can already recommend the book even though I've read only a small portion.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 08:18:42 PM

Here is a couple of other sources for the article:

http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/06.12/deathofbanks.html

And the original, which is actually a lot longer version! So read the whole story at:

http://papermoneycollapse.com/2012/06/the-death-of-banks-and-the-future-of-money/

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 08:27:29 PM

This is one of the best articles ever. In general. Schlichter just owns and I hope this one makes waves in the libertarian and goldbug communities, since there are still way too many Bitcoin skeptics in those circles.
There are many people in those circles who have spent a lot of money buying gold and silver and desperately hope to become wealthy because of it. Anything development which suggests this might not happen is treated with great hostility.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 08:45:23 PM

There are many people in those circles who have spent a lot of money buying gold and silver and desperately hope to become wealthy because of it. Anything development which suggests this might not happen is treated with great hostility.

Such an attitude isn't present on these forums at all!  Wink

I kid because I love.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 08:49:42 PM

If you review my posts you'll see that I call it out when I run across it here too.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 11:06:16 PM

If you review my posts you'll see that I call it out when I run across it here too.

I wasn't talking about you specifically, just in general.  Grin

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 11:29:25 PM

Then, change the direction of the hope and herd towards Bitcoin now! and they will!

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: