Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:00:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you normally trust a Bitcoin ATM?  (Read 1963 times)
IceFire (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 01:24:26 PM

Hey,

I am wondering this myself. Is it a good idea to buy Bitcoins over a dedicated ATM?

I am currently looking at the options here http://coinoutletatm.com/

What do you think?
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 01:38:35 PM

Personally, since I've got enough "at risk" at the moment and don't need any extra risk factors, I'd give that crowd a few months in the market to see what use experiences are.

I'd trust CaVirtEx ATMs in known locations.

Note the specification of known locations, if a "CaVirtEx" ATM turned up at a local strip mall, with no announcement or confirmation of that location from the operators, I would not use it.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2014, 02:02:48 PM

Where is the risk in getting bitcoins?

You get the bitcoins...they can't be taken back.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pingu

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 02:10:44 PM

Buying coins from most of them seems pretty safe as long as you make sure you're in possession of the private keys you should be good. If it's one that prints out a QR code I'd import it ASAP. I wouldn't trust to buy an ATM from a brand new company though if that's what you're asking.
Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 02:30:19 PM

Getting the bitcoins is the preferred outcome, however, there's a bit in the middle there where machine has your cash, and you have not got the bitcoins.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 03:26:42 PM

Getting the bitcoins is the preferred outcome, however, there's a bit in the middle there where machine has your cash, and you have not got the bitcoins.
The same can be said about many businesses. Businesses depend on repeat and referral customers. They should take safety measures to ensure customer satisfaction.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
vabtc

Activity: 55
Merit: 4

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 03:35:06 PM

Before you even insert cash, the machine asks for your QR code. It makes sure it is a valid address before accepting any bills.  As long as your wallet and devices are secure(which is out of BTM's control), you should feel very comfortable using BTMs. They will not let you insert more money than they can cover. I have not used Skyhook, but the major BTM manufacturers have never had transaction issues I am aware of. Bitaccess, Lamassu, Robocoin, Genesis1 are all trustworthy machines.
factor280

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 03:35:49 PM

I would as long as they have a cold wallet with a good amount of funds backing them. I don't see why not.

Sig Space for Rent! PM Me.
bitcoinmind

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 03:36:54 PM

For you maybe there is no risk, but for newbies like me and many others - IS! Therefore, should be created educational projects!
Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 08:49:44 PM

The same can be said about many businesses. Businesses depend on repeat and referral customers. They should take safety measures to ensure customer satisfaction.

Yes yes, real businesses want to build their business.... I'm just trying to say, don't run up to every flashy box in random location that says it's a bitcoin ATM and feed it bills, or bitcoin for that matter. Just saying that there's a chance that there are some scam ones out there. "Error 35412 please contact tech support 1-800-phone-that-never-picks-up" and it's gone the next day.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 12:51:10 AM

Yes yes, real businesses want to build their business.... I'm just trying to say, don't run up to every flashy box in random location that says it's a bitcoin ATM and feed it bills, or bitcoin for that matter. Just saying that there's a chance that there are some scam ones out there. "Error 35412 please contact tech support 1-800-phone-that-never-picks-up" and it's gone the next day.
There have been instances of people installing fake ATMs in busy places. You're right that bitcoin ATMs could also be fake.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
LordSonjai

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 01:28:32 AM

thats a good question,to think i would be so naive to trade bitcoins at a atm,ill think about if before i do now.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 01:32:43 AM

thats a good question,to think i would be so naive to trade bitcoins at a atm,ill think about if before i do now.
That's the silliest thing I've read today. Thanks for the chuckle.

LordSonjai

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 01:37:41 AM

Elaborate because i don't understand what is so silly about my comment.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 01:53:38 AM

Because nobody uses ATMs for trading. Your comment made no sense at all. In fairness to you, please elaborate how an ATM can affect trading?

junglist.massive

Activity: 759

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 02:14:36 AM

I think that should be some trust certificate of ATM. Official deal with some exchange etc
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 02:19:00 AM

I am wondering this myself. Is it a good idea to buy Bitcoins over a dedicated ATM?

Minimal risk as you are dealing with a machine and a physical location.
exoton

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 04:02:45 AM

Minimal risk as you are dealing with a machine and a physical location.
Just because it is a machine, does not mean the owner has not programmed it to scam users. For example, if the machine had the ability to buy bitcoin from someone, it could have the seller send bitcoin to a specific address and then never disburse any kind of cash.

LordSonjai

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 06:15:07 AM

Because nobody uses ATMs for trading. Your comment made no sense at all. In fairness to you, please elaborate how an ATM can affect trading?

What the fuck are you talking about?when did I say anything about a ATM affecting trading,I clearly used the wrong terminology for my intention and you misconstrued and blew my comment out of proportion like a stupid motherfucker. Obviously ATMS aren't for trading dumbass. What I meant by trading was exchanging real currency for bitcoin,is that not a trade? I wish I could slap the fuck out of you.
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 06:22:01 AM

Why not, haven't heard of any occurrence so far.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: