Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 12:57:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I have been the most stupid cunt ever - computer related disaster inside  (Read 3612 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 07:58:06 PM

The reason it happened was because I had pretty much messed with every other part of the computer except the processor and the heatsink. The ridiculous thing is I definitely didn't do enough research on it because I thought it would be simple but I underestimated how much blatant misinformation there is about it because on the youtube comments everyone was screaming warnings about the video I saw and on many others as well.

I have no idea why I didn't check things out more carefully because normally I am careful ;_; lol all the other videos I checked out after fucking up were of people warning against using paper towels and stuff and only using tiny tiny amounts of thermal paste.

It was just purely down to my own experience, I can tell you I didn't take off the thermal paste that came with the processor either and when I put the stuff on I did here a SNAP! so it must have been conductive, ah well, I'll definitely never do that again.

Also, I wouldn't dare touch water cooling, ever LOL Tongue who knows what might happen, might somehow end up electrocuting myself.
Haha. Well you can't really electrocute yourself unless you are touching the machine while it is running and the water leaks. Over the years the water cooling solutions have improved, so I wouldn't worry about that though (if properly installed).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 08:02:48 PM

Yeah, I know, but knowing my luck I'd somehow manage it, I'll stick with nice safe air cooling Tongue
Bananana

Activity: 481
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 01:43:09 PM

My baby pull the plug while I am trying to restore my window to earlier version. Well, window fail completely after that and I have to re-install the whole window. I have bitcoin wallet inside and.....

C10H15N

Activity: 869
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 02:27:46 PM

My baby pull the plug while I am trying to restore my window to earlier version. Well, window fail completely after that and I have to re-install the whole window. I have bitcoin wallet inside and.....

Only one thing left to do.  Sell the baby.   Wink

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
Bananana

Activity: 481

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 02:33:59 PM

Only one thing left to do.  Sell the baby.   Wink

No thanks, I still love my baby Smiley

HITTI2

Activity: 563
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 02:44:54 PM

You didn't lose the wallet. Take that HDD, hook it to another PC, browse the files and get the wallet.

Win7x64 Pro, Acer XB240H, Corsair Obsidian 750D Black,DEMCifilter Corsair Obsidian 750D Dust Filter Kit,Delidded i7-3770K OC'd@4.5GHz, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM, MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GD5, ASUS Xonar D1, Vantec UGT-ST644R, ASRock Z75 Pro3, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU, EK-KIT L240, 2 x NF-A14-FLX Fans, 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID 0 32KB strip, WD Re WD1003FBYZ 1TB,2TB HGST/Hitachi (HUA723020ALA641),2 x HGST A7K3000 HUA723030ALA640 3 TB, Vertex II 60GB,Samsung SH-S223L.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 04:19:59 PM

Only one thing left to do.  Sell the baby.   Wink

Pfft that's nothing, at least you didn't fry your computer parts, then again a family member of mine did that with a plug and it ended up melting the motherboard somehow, so you were pretty lucky there you could even keep windows running.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 06:24:02 PM

Pfft that's nothing, at least you didn't fry your computer parts, then again a family member of mine did that with a plug and it ended up melting the motherboard somehow, so you were pretty lucky there you could even keep windows running.
Exactly. These are minor software issues. You could actually probably fix the windows but you're not qualified enough to do so. Last time I had a BSOD which prevented me from booting into Windows (didn't have a backup, that was the problem), I ended up manually fixing a driver via a LiveCD (painfully slow).
Hardware problems are much much worse than software!
Installing a new copy of Windows on an SSD takes <30min.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
HITTI2

Activity: 563
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 07:30:21 PM

Exactly. These are minor software issues. You could actually probably fix the windows but you're not qualified enough to do so. Last time I had a BSOD which prevented me from booting into Windows (didn't have a backup, that was the problem), I ended up manually fixing a driver via a LiveCD (painfully slow).

@bolded, shit, more like 12-15 minutes Cheesy . Ever quicker with a USB install stick rather using a dvd.

Win7x64 Pro, Acer XB240H, Corsair Obsidian 750D Black,DEMCifilter Corsair Obsidian 750D Dust Filter Kit,Delidded i7-3770K OC'd@4.5GHz, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM, MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GD5, ASUS Xonar D1, Vantec UGT-ST644R, ASRock Z75 Pro3, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU, EK-KIT L240, 2 x NF-A14-FLX Fans, 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID 0 32KB strip, WD Re WD1003FBYZ 1TB,2TB HGST/Hitachi (HUA723020ALA641),2 x HGST A7K3000 HUA723030ALA640 3 TB, Vertex II 60GB,Samsung SH-S223L.
elliwilli

Activity: 307

et rich or die tryi

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2014, 10:18:03 AM

Damn dude.
that really sucks. I did the same a few years back and ruined my rig.
I also one made a watercooling loop myself and fucked it up ruining a rig. that was fun.

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2014, 10:40:57 PM

Possible hopeful sign here, the said family member of mine builds/repairs computers for a living and managed to unbend all the pins on the processor and cleaned it up even more, the computer turned on and there was a good bios beep with the computer coming on normally and not detecting any hard drive.

I MAY have gotten away with it, I'm probably still going to save up for a new motherboard and processor just to be on the safe side just to make sure everythings shiny lol and of course I'll need to get a proper case that fits the motherboard neatly. If it's only the processor and motherboard I really need to worry about then that's likely very good as they're not too expensive to replace.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 11:43:23 AM

@bolded, shit, more like 12-15 minutes Cheesy . Ever quicker with a USB install stick rather using a dvd.
<30 minutes means any amount of time under 30 minutes, sigh. I didn't want to specify as it was pretty quick but I didn't record my own time on the latest SSD.
A custom copy on an older SSD could take more time.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 12:55:02 PM

Warning: This is just me having a bit of a vent because I'm feeling extremely infuriated with myself right now

You know that fantastic gaming PC I built that was working great and let me do everything faster? I went and fucking ruined it, being the idiot that I am despite having carefully researched all the parts I needed I realised the stock heatsink was too loud I bought a heatsink fine, but I watched some twat on youtube put way too much thermal paste on and I assumed it would be fine ( not knowing of course that the thermal paste would already be on a new heatsink which I know know in hindsight ) and didn't check other videos which pretty much screamed at me about using only a pea sized amount. The stuff of course went all over the processor and bits of it on the motherboard, I tried cleaning it off with isoprophyl alcohol as much as I could but it was clearly a lost cause because there was just that much paste everywhere and because the processor had gotten stuck to the heatsink some of the pins were bent.

Thankfully I had the good sense to keep all my old parts etc. and hopefully I will be able to salvage my old computer and recover most of the stuff and be back to normal but FUCKING DAMNIT, perfectly good powerful computer gone down the drain!

I should fucking know better as well but let this be a warning to all of you thinking about building your own PCs, I'm sure you guys have had disasters like this right? I'm not alone right? Sad

i know that. shit happens. some years ago i wanted to update the bios of my new mainboard.....dont do it....just dont try it...

anyway: merry christmas  Smiley

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 07:36:10 PM

By some absolute miracle ( at least from my point of view ) the computer is working again! I didn't even have to re-install windows 7 and can access all my stuff again! HURRAY! Now I am going to have to test it out obviously and make sure it all works but it seems that the only thing that went wrong for sure was the pins and the thermal paste just caused a mess and made the problem worse.

Oh a nice big resolution is much easier on the eyes LOL Tongue
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: