Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:48:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] GLBSE hot wallet empty, withdrawals delayed  (Read 2021 times)
Nefario (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 03:19:15 PM

Our hot wallet has run dry,

the timing of this has coincided with the messing up of the bitcoin client that normally handles our cold storage.

We have to wait for the blockchain to download before we're able to top up our hotwallet.

This means that all withdrawals are going to be delayed for 4 more hours at least (it's already been a little over 12 hours since this problem started).

All bitcoin that we've kept in coldstorage is perfectly safe, and this is nothing more than a delay.

Sorry for any trouble this may cause.

Nefario.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:24:22 PM

Better then the risk of loss of coinage through a huge hot wallet though.  Grin
waltmarkers

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:41:13 PM

Thanks for the update, that makes you a class act.

THis does point out a real problem though - I shouldn't have to download an entire 2.3 GB file to send a few coins when I have to reinstall a client. There should be trusted block chain that can be downloaded faster & validated, or the ability to validate needed chain pieces on a mirror.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:42:54 PM

Thanks for the update, that makes you a class act.

THis does point out a real problem though - I shouldn't have to download an entire 2.3 GB file to send a few coins when I have to reinstall a client. There should be trusted block chain that can be downloaded faster & validated, or the ability to validate needed chain pieces on a mirror.

There's an ongoing discussion about this problem, I think they can use a hand: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88208.0 Smiley
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:59:11 PM

As a stop-gap until scalability issues are sorted, this link can be faster than a standard download: http://eu1.bitcoincharts.com/blockchain/
However, you must rescan all addresses after importing that.

Coming from Bitcoincharts, I would consider it trusted.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 03:59:55 PM

Yeah I'd already downloaded the blockchain from sourceforge but it only goes up to March.

While doing this I did look at electrum but just got errors when I tried to send any coins, so that was a no go.

Personally I think the electrum model is the best but the client is not really usable at the moment.

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 04:02:44 PM

I don't understand, why post this here? When you have issues like this you're supposed to keep them on the down low until enough people start complaining, and then blame them until you have time to resolve the situation. Geez, you brown nosers are going to give everyone else a bad name. Tongue
Tachikoma

Activity: 938

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 04:09:08 PM

Yeah I'd already downloaded the blockchain from sourceforge but it only goes up to March.

While doing this I did look at electrum but just got errors when I tried to send any coins, so that was a no go.

Personally I think the electrum model is the best but the client is not really usable at the moment.

What kind of errors did you get?

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
zerokwel

Activity: 464

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 04:11:24 PM

I don't understand, why post this here? When you have issues like this you're supposed to keep them on the down low until enough people start complaining, and then blame them until you have time to resolve the situation. Geez, you brown nosers are going to give everyone else a bad name. Tongue

LOL sorry I found this funny Smiley.

brendio

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 04:22:02 AM

I just had a withdrawal go through in reasonable time, so I assume these issues have now been dealt with. Can you provide an update, Nefario?

ciuciu
Donator

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 12:44:20 PM

I have opened a support ticket for 5 days with Nefario. Do anybody know what is happening?

nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:04:37 PM

LOL sorry I found this funny Smiley.

Yes, +1  Thank you for being open and public about issues. That is very important to many of us.
This ++ Smiley
ciuciu
Donator

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:18:17 PM

I have opened a support ticket for 5 days with Nefario. Do anybody know what is happening?

He got back to me today.

Thank you Nefario.

Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 12:15:17 PM

Update, wallets empty again.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 02:48:17 PM

A secure longer term solution could be simply paying out only of cold storage a few times per day.
The insecure alternative would be only operating a hot wallet.

Is it really that necessary to have bitcoins confirmed in your wallet in ~1 hour? Within 24h would be fine for me as well, if it is more secure and it would still be faster than bank transfers.

Also P2SH might be interesting to evaluate, though I still haven't seen some real implementations of that... considering Gavin was acting as if it has to be done asap and better yesterday than today, it seems a little bit weird in hindsight.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
btharper

Activity: 389

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 11:22:42 PM

A secure longer term solution could be simply paying out only of cold storage a few times per day.

Is it really that necessary to have bitcoins confirmed in your wallet in ~1 hour? Within 24h would be fine for me as well, if it is more secure and it would still be faster than bank transfers.

Also P2SH might be interesting to evaluate, though I still haven't seen some real implementations of that... considering Gavin was acting as if it has to be done asap and better yesterday than today, it seems a little bit weird in hindsight.

Trying to run a pirate pass though when the delay is 24 hours is massive fail if we have to pay out 6.8%   
What about a small fee (0.05%?) For hot wallet transactions and free cold transactions within whatever timeframe Nefario wants to offer.

Any thoughts?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 11:31:23 PM

Trying to run a pirate pass though when the delay is 24 hours is massive fail if we have to pay out 6.8%   
What about a small fee (0.05%?) For hot wallet transactions and free cold transactions within whatever timeframe Nefario wants to offer.

Any thoughts?
It wouldn't solve someone wanting a large amount of BTC immediately to put into something else if the hot wallet's refill amount is less than the amount being withdrawn -- it'll always still require Nef manually refill the hot wallet. I think that's what is causing problems -- someone like Goat wanting the huge investment money to deposit in Pirate - and it results in massive losses for him to wait for the BTC. It would be nice if how many coins remain in the hot wallet were displayed on GLBSE so we can better-plan our withdrawals.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 03:03:37 AM

Any thoughts?
It wouldn't solve someone wanting a large amount of BTC immediately to put into something else if the hot wallet's refill amount is less than the amount being withdrawn -- it'll always still require Nef manually refill the hot wallet. I think that's what is causing problems -- someone like Goat wanting the huge investment money to deposit in Pirate - and it results in massive losses for him to wait for the BTC. It would be nice if how many coins remain in the hot wallet were displayed on GLBSE so we can better-plan our withdrawals.

Do you think that would introduce a security risk ?

btharper

Activity: 389

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 03:33:59 AM

Any thoughts?
The big result would be that people would be less inclined to use the hot wallet. It may be easier for Nefario to as a little extra to the wallet on Monday figuring this quick use is from that.

In the "just crazy enough to work" line of thought, if there was a hot wallet fee, why not alert and allow other people to add funds to the hot wallet to claim the fee for themselves. The setup and implementation would be a pain more than likely, but it might lower the time for the wallet to fill up again. (The fee should keep people from gaming the system).
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 03:47:21 AM

I like the idea of people covering the hot wallet deposits for the fee.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: