Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:26:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning to use Bitcoins  (Read 1330 times)
CoinDiner (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 04:32:50 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 12:46:08 AM by CoinDiner

Feel free to move if this is the wrong place.

Ive been lurking around here at bitcointalk.org and reading my ass off

for the last week or so (Total time logged in: 18 hours and 58 minutes. == reading my ass off to me! )

Ive noticed that people donate coins to each other and I got this idea.

What if people donated a small amount of coin to me, say 0.0025

my maths head tells me that this is a very very small amount and I couldnt buy anything with it and a LOT of people would have to donate before it amounted to any substantail amount.

Also *ALL* donations will go to the EFF peeps   Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors without Borders)

But thats the whole point! So why do it?

Well it means I can learn a few things,

.) how to setup and use an eWallet

..)how to use blockchain.info to learn how to check where coins come and go to/from

...) follow the transactions of my coins stored on my eWallet with blockexplorer.

....) Get a buzz actually using Bitcoins Wink

.....) Anyone got any ideas of what else I could do?

Fell free to suggest anything that I should do or change to prove Im not a SCAMMER or to make it impossible for me to scam others (but not actually to kill the experience outright! )

Regards

EDIT: just added eWallet address!
EDIT: user FreeMoney pointed out my errors! hence update
: as of  June 22, 2012, 12:04:22 AM  Balance: 0.0002 BTC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 04:43:36 PM

https://freebitcoins.appspot.com/
CoinDiner (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 04:51:06 PM

Ok heading over there now!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 10:38:39 PM

Welcome.

I don't think it makes much sense to have 1000 people donate to you so you can donate a bitpenny to EFF, who I think stopped accepting coin anyway.

Seems better to me to get yourself some and keep or spend without obligation. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74046.0

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
CoinDiner (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 11:31:16 PM

@FreeMoney        I have visited that page before I made the post , Im not interested in joining gambling clubs for coins and the others just dont work or you have to jump through 1000 hoops! for 0.00000001 coin , never mind I will probaly just buy a few coins and save my sanity
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 06:12:06 AM

@FreeMoney        I have visited that page before I made the post , Im not interested in joining gambling clubs for coins and the others just dont work or you have to jump through 1000 hoops! for 0.00000001 coin , never mind I will probaly just buy a few coins and save my sanity

welcome to the club.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
scribe

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 08:53:42 AM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 11:34:30 AM by scribe

I wonder if there's scope to start a blog on "my new life with bitcoins" - a kind of honest, day-to-day look at what the frustrations and triumphs are in getting into it all.

Damn, now I'm thinking about doing that... couldn't resist starting one... http://bitcoinlife.wordpress.com/

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
ridgemont4

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 09:21:22 AM

@FreeMoney        I have visited that page before I made the post , Im not interested in joining gambling clubs for coins and the others just dont work or you have to jump through 1000 hoops! for 0.00000001 coin , never mind I will probaly just buy a few coins and save my sanity

I won 1.5 Bitcoins on Sealswithclubs.eu and all I had to do was provide a username, password and my Bitcoin address. Yeah that's a real gamble.. Not! For me it was playing and earning while having fun. I guess the only "gambling" aspect is if you're not good at poker, you'd be wasting your time. Well another downside is the people are playing extremely stupid on that site for some reason because it seems like everyone wants to outdo each other in proving who can be the biggest idiot. however I've read recently, that's nature of online poker in general. (I remember seeing the same thing when I played $25 of my real money years ago.) It's fun until you start getting tired of the cheap things people do on the tables. It has been said that playing stupid gives you a short term advantage in poker and unfortunately that seems to be what they're doing in there, but still, I can't think of anywhere else where I could have made 1.5 Bitcoins from nothing. You spoke in a manner that paints it out to be some sort of gimmick which is entirely not the case from my experience. I've been playing there for two weeks now. It's just for fun until you begin taking it too seriously.
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 10:30:03 AM

Sorry OP but aren't you just "begging" for free Bitcoins?

Why wouldn't you just buy some coins yourself? There's plenty of methods available. Or earn some free coin as suggested already.

If people wanted to donate to the EFF I think they would do so directly, no offense to you ofcourse.
CoinDiner (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 05:07:08 PM

@scribe                    Interesting read    keep it up (but start your own F**king thread ) Tongue

@ridgemont4          For me Gambling just sucks, period!

@ norulezapply       Well I define "Begging" as asking for something for nothing for MY own fianical benifit.

If you think thats what I was after then your missing the spirit of the whole post. I was using it as A LEARNING TOOL and nothing else.

I thought it was a novel way to learn how to work with bitcoins before I actually dived into this area

I plan on setting up a mining rig when I can establish whats safe to spend my money on, as at the moment there are competing technoligies arriving ( FPGA vs ASIC ). I dont have the luxury of spending 2000 quid for a rig that MIGHT last 9 to 12 months before its obselete, while I mine say half a bitcoin a day!
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 05:17:14 PM

Welcome to Bitcoin.

Check out the New to BitCoin? Start here! sticky if you are new.
In it you will find a link to the thread which lists all the Free Bitcoins sites: Where do I get free bitcoins?

/edit  Oh that was the link FreeMoney already posted...  nm then...  
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:28:11 PM

@ norulezapply       Well I define "Begging" as asking for something for nothing for MY own fianical benifit.

If you think thats what I was after then your missing the spirit of the whole post. I was using it as A LEARNING TOOL and nothing else.

I thought it was a novel way to learn how to work with bitcoins before I actually dived into this area

I plan on setting up a mining rig when I can establish whats safe to spend my money on, as at the moment there are competing technoligies arriving ( FPGA vs ASIC ). I dont have the luxury of spending 2000 quid for a rig that MIGHT last 9 to 12 months before its obselete, while I mine say half a bitcoin a day!

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you I just couldn't think of the most suitable word to use.

I do like the spirit of the post but I'm not sure people would trust you is what I was trying to say. Saying that, all transactions are trackable so that could be a way to show that the money is actually going to a charity Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: