Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:12:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reinstalling Windows today - Backing up wallet.dat  (Read 1210 times)
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 06:56:52 PM

Title says it all.

Just want to verify that the wallet.dat located in (Win7 x64)
Code:
C:\Users\Mufa\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin
is the correct thing I want to back up. Anything else I should back up to make downloading the whole blockchain over again take less time? I thought I remember reading about backing up the blk0001.dat and blkindex.dat

(Sorry for the noob question, just seen many people make the mistake, and I want to be 100% sure before I do this)

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
swissmate

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 07:04:12 PM

yes it's located there, also with the new bitcoin wallet you can just press the "make a backup" button and save it somewhere safe.
It's the only file you need.
EuSouBitcoin

Activity: 490
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 07:04:51 PM

As an alternative, you could just send all the BTC somewhere else (either another computer that you have that's running bitcoin or to one of your accounts at a Bitcoin exchange). Then reinstall Windows, drivers, applications and data. Install the latest bitcoin client, download the blockchain, then send the BTC back to your original computer. Mental note to self, it's still a good idea to have at least one backup and probably 2 or more.

You can't win if you don't play. But you can't play if you lose all your chips. First I found bitcoin (BTC). Then I found something better, Monero (XMR). See GetMonero.org
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 07:07:35 PM

Also, I believe you want the Detach Database at Shutdown tick box ticked under the options if you want to use the wallet on a different system. If I am wrong, correct me.
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 07:48:16 PM

Alright, thanks guys.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
EuSouBitcoin

Activity: 490
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 08:01:44 PM

Alright, thanks guys.

Did you decide to
1) backup
2) send the bitcoins somewhere else
3) both
?

You can't win if you don't play. But you can't play if you lose all your chips. First I found bitcoin (BTC). Then I found something better, Monero (XMR). See GetMonero.org
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 11:16:44 PM

Alright, thanks guys.

Did you decide to
1) backup
2) send the bitcoins somewhere else
3) both
?
I had 4.11 BTC in my wallet. I moved 4 BTC to MtGox, then backed up the wallet and those other two files. I just finished installing Windows, and some other stuff. Just got around to Bitcoin, and put the wallet in there. Worked great! My 0.11 are right where I left them. However, those two extra files I backed up didn't work, so I deleted them and am letting the entire blockchain download. Not too annoying, should be done downloading later today. Got to keep all my old addresses and everything. Overall, I am satisfied.

drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:27:57 AM

Also, I believe you want the Detach Database at Shutdown tick box ticked under the options if you want to use the wallet on a different system. If I am wrong, correct me.

I believe that only applies to the blockchain.

That is to say, you cannot use the blockchain on a different system, but the wallet is always detached, which means you can always move the wallet (after closing the client first, or after using the backup wallet feature).

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:29:50 AM

That is to say, you cannot use the blockchain on a different system, but the wallet is always detached, which means you can always move the wallet (after closing the client first, or after using the backup wallet feature).

Ahh, ok. My bad.
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:14:50 AM

Ahh, ok. My bad.
That's what I should have done. 50,000 blocks from 360 days ago remaining...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: