Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 05:12:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 years later bitcoin and goverments  (Read 2288 times)
Tempus fugit. (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 11:55:24 AM

Let's say bitcoin is going well and 20 years later (pseudo, it can be even 10 years) it's about to slap in the face of dollar and euro. Indirectly, the United States and European countries.

The goverments will just sit on their soft seats? No. What can they do to finish bitcoin?
rz20
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 12:22:42 PM

They can't do anthing agains't a decentralized currency, I will be able to send coins to anybody if I want.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 12:23:55 PM

Let's say bitcoin is going well and 20 years later (pseudo, it can be even 10 years) it's about to slap in the face of dollar and euro. Indirectly, the United States and European countries.

The goverments will just sit on their soft seats? No. What can they do to finish bitcoin?

The same thing they can do to file sharing and torrenting.
Breaking their own laws, bribing foreign governments, legal suits, lobbying, passing laws, massive propaganda campaigns has been futile in combating file sharing,

Bitcoin is alegal and sovereign and doesn't care what governments do. All they can do is drive it into the grey and darkmarkets where it will thrive. Most governments understand this and thus are trying to regulate it so they can control the fringes (onramps and offramps) instead of losing all control and driving it into the darkmarket completely which will encourage more people to participate in the largest economy worldwide.

Pandoras box has opened. You cannot kill the idea of blockchain technology and decentralized currencies. Governments will have to deal with this reality and will probably focus more on sales tax and VAT rather than income taxes in the future.

Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 12:37:55 PM

It depends how far a country is willing to go, you will be surprised what can be achieved if you have enough power.

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 12:43:18 PM

It depends how far a country is willing to go, you will be surprised what can be achieved if you have enough power.

thepiratebay isn't fully decentralized and it has sustained numerous attacks from the most powerful countries with the greatest of motivations.
2 days ago one of their datacenters were raided illegally by bribed and corrupt agents and a day later mirror sites and cached versions were online and business as ussual.
additionally, this attack has spurred this -
http://venturebeat.com/2014/12/10/bittorrent-announces-project-maelstrom-the-first-torrent-based-browser/

Decentralized torrent browser.  Any attacks on Bitcoin will simply make it stronger and more resilient.

allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 03:12:26 PM

Attacks can and will occur, although I believe Bitcoin will always continue to fight another day.

caga

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 03:27:38 PM

thepiratebay isn't fully decentralized and it has sustained numerous attacks from the most powerful countries with the greatest of motivations.
2 days ago one of their datacenters were raided illegally by bribed and corrupt agents and a day later mirror sites and cached versions were online and business as ussual.
http://venturebeat.com/2014/12/10/bittorrent-announces-project-maelstrom-the-first-torrent-based-browser/

Decentralized torrent browser.  Any attacks on Bitcoin will simply make it stronger and more resilient.

But in case of bitcoins, they have nothing to raid. They might already be too late to shut it down now.

The Bad Guy

Activity: 280

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 04:44:58 PM

Nothing really to do lol Shocked Unless they stop the internet which will definitly won't happen. even if they can do it by closing some ports or something ... I dought that It will stop on every country. some people just don't give a shit

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 05:23:43 PM

20 years from now no one will be trying to shut down bitcoin and attempting it would be as unthinkable as shutting down the Internet is today (excepting a handful of marginalized violent 3rd world dictators). This technology is simply too useful.

In 20 years economic policy will be set by transparent blockchain consensus rather than by local governments. In 20 years all national governments will be thought of as localized, because they are.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 05:25:54 PM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WMQg546agpU
Fabrizio89

Activity: 924

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 05:34:06 PM

Breaking their own laws, bribing foreign governments, legal suits, lobbying, passing laws, massive propaganda campaigns has been futile in combating file sharing,

It's not like they're not doing that right now anyway, laws are intended for the people, not for who legislate. But you're right, pandora box has opened, once the markets realize this there's nothing they can do to stop it. Anyway banks and governments are a thing of the past, corporations are going to rule the world from the end of this decade, and they care about technological advancement because it makes their establishment more efficient and they continously have to grow.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 07:13:31 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2014, 01:41:06 PM by Meuh6879

P2P file sharing exist since 15 years.
It's the highest trusted system to exchange files freely.

And when you add money in this ... you obtain a think better than the 100 years of human declined economy.

the TRUST of the real process without flaw or manipulation.

http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 07:39:20 PM

The attacks on TPB are nothing..  The gov will not lose it's power from TPB..  They will do everything and anything to keep their power.

I have warned you many times..  keep some bitcoin completely hidden from everyone.  Govs have many time in the past stolen the wealth of the public.  America has too, you are no different.  Be prepared.. war is on the horizen.. it could be avoided but it is doubtful.

Those in control would seem to follow the samson option before giving up their power... 
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 09:10:18 PM

lol 20 years.
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 700
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 09:35:37 PM

Just like Govt now control the banks through central bank, govt will control big bitcoin companies though some set up body and thereby controlling a big bitcoin stash.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 01:39:00 PM

I guess the government will go after users of bitcoins and not the Bitcoin network as such.
It is far easier to do that - shut down bank access to any bitcoin sites, prevent bitcoin companies from developing, etc.
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2014, 01:57:40 PM

Bitcoin will be the most important thing on the market... And government will still chase it...

Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2014, 02:28:14 PM

They certainly can't shut it down completely but they certainly can by force put a stop to all the exchangers. That means make it illegal to trade btc to real money and vice versa. So if i want to buy food for example and i only have bitcoin, then i will ended up having problem. This reduces the appeal and demand. Like i said no way they can shut it down but just makes your life difficult until you give up.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 02:40:07 PM

That means make it illegal to trade btc to real money and vice versa. So if i want to buy food for example and i only have bitcoin, then i will ended up having problem. This reduces the appeal and demand. Like i said no way they can shut it down but just makes your life difficult until you give up.
It's also illegal to drive faster than the posted speed limit.

Plenty of people find ways to do it anyway while managing their risk of adverse consequences.

It will be easier to bypass laws that restrict Bitcoin usage than to bypass traffic laws - after all, censorship resistance is just a software problem.
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 04:31:17 PM

That means make it illegal to trade btc to real money and vice versa. So if i want to buy food for example and i only have bitcoin, then i will ended up having problem. This reduces the appeal and demand. Like i said no way they can shut it down but just makes your life difficult until you give up.
It's also illegal to drive faster than the posted speed limit.

Plenty of people find ways to do it anyway while managing their risk of adverse consequences.

It will be easier to bypass laws that restrict Bitcoin usage than to bypass traffic laws - after all, censorship resistance is just a software problem.

Exactly and this is the reason I love so much bitcoin concept.
There is no centralization here, some central, main bitcoin office or CEO, so nobody really can stop us!
OK, government can make difficult for us use bitcoin in real, offline world, but online world they can't control, fully.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀