Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:22:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-12-11] Reddit will work with Bitcoin & the Blockchain  (Read 1743 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2014, 12:46:48 PM

Reddit Raises $50 Million, Plans New Cryptocurrency to Reward Users

Reddit has announced a new $50m funding round that could lead to a unique way for the social network to give back to its community – its own cryptocurrency.

In a post on the company’s official blog, CEO Yishan Wong revealed Reddit had secured funding from a number of well-known venture capitalists and VC funds.

http://www.coindesk.com/reddit-50-million-new-cryptocurrency/

after that news some weeks ago we have some comments from the main reddit-dev about bitcoin and reddit:

---------

"It's definitely long-term. Bitcoin technology will ultimately become integral to reddit. We've had some internal brainstorming about ways we could integrate - the possibilities are enormous.

Our focus right now is on the digital asset. Announcements forthcoming."

---------

"Great question! First of all, see Oleg Andreev's excellent article "The universe wants one money": http://blog.oleganza.com/post/54121516413/the-universe-wants-one-money

Competing with bitcoin wouldn't make any sense. Rather than compete, we want to build on and with the bitcoin community. We will not create a currency that competes with bitcoin. Instead, we will leverage the blockchain (The Blockchain, i.e., the bitcoin blockchain), and quite possibly also sidechains, in order to build our technology.

We are not making an altcoin."

-----------

https://np.reddit.com/r/blog/comments/2owj55/welcome_drew_ryan_mike_daniel_joe_dave_david/cmral8p

very good news  Smiley

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 11:56:18 AM

So there will be a reddit coin
(Kind of interested in it want to premine it haha)

Perhaps most notably for the digital currency community, however, was that all of these investors agreed to set aside 10% of the round’s proceeds to give back to the community, well guess we will need to wait for more info when it comes out.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 12:24:37 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2014, 12:57:45 PM by LiteCoinGuy

Perhaps most notably for the digital currency community, however, was that all of these investors agreed to set aside 10% of the round’s proceeds to give back to the community, well guess we will need to wait for more info when it comes out.

No. Maybe some coin which name is "reddit-coin" but which is pegged to Bitcoin. No altcoin. They will use the BTC Blockchain for their project.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 12:26:38 PM

No. Maybe some coin which name is "reddit-coin" but which is pegged to Bitcoin.

Ah, thanks for the clarification
(When I hear pegged for some reason I'm thinking Bitcoin is the gold standard and coins like reddit-coin would adjust their supply to keep it in a trading range)

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
tins

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 07:28:58 AM

No. Maybe some coin which name is "reddit-coin" but which is pegged to Bitcoin. No altcoin. They will use the BTC Blockchain for their project.

I thought Dogecoin was the official altcoin of Reddit, already? Don't they have more members that BTC?
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2014, 10:12:13 AM

I thought Dogecoin was the official altcoin of Reddit, already? Don't they have more members that BTC?

thats wrong ;-) - and people already love tipping with bitcoin, no more dogecoin required.

tins

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 03:58:42 PM

thats wrong ;-) - and people already love tipping with bitcoin, no more dogecoin required.

I wouldn't know. I'm active on 4 different forums (Bitcoin, Insurance agents, Coin collectors, MMA)...wife told me it would not be a good idea to join any new site that could suck me in for more hours of wasted time...women be crazy  Undecided
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2014, 06:10:58 PM

I wouldn't know. I'm active on 4 different forums (Bitcoin, Insurance agents, Coin collectors, MMA)...wife told me it would not be a good idea to join any new site that could suck me in for more hours of wasted time...women be crazy  Undecided

haha...but maybe she loves that bitcoin song  Cheesy :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md4cPHFBeiU

LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 08:46:46 PM

Announcing reddit notes

We raised some funding in September, and we promised to reserve a portion to give back to the community. If you're hearing about this for the first time, check out the official blog post here.

http://www.redditblog.com/2014/12/announcing-reddit-notes.html

(its NO altcoin)

the_reprobate

Activity: 320
Merit: 250

★YoBit.Net★ 100+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 08:50:29 PM

Or maybe they could call it reddcoin and claim it is the social cryptocurrency.  Oh wait.

LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2014, 12:21:26 PM

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/19/reddit-announces-redditnotes-a-way-to-share-equity-with-readers/

Neg

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 02:10:14 PM

Hmm, if it's not an alt coin why can't they just use bitcoin? It's already very popular on there because of changetip etc.
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2014, 12:34:49 PM

Reddit announces it will give $5 million to its users in the form of 'Notes'

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/20/7427491/reddit-notes-announced-give-5-million-dollars-to-users

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 02:24:17 PM

Reddit has clarified that they will integrate bitcoin, not create any altcoin! It is wise decision. Bitcoin is already popular among its members. If Creating altcoin is really wasting resource and never able to beat bitcoin!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: