Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:53:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to add the wallet in an ubuntu installation?  (Read 3804 times)
chufchuf (OP)

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 09:51:16 PM

If you want to transfer a wallet into a bitcoin client that's sitting in an Ubuntu install, where do you put it? I don't have much experience with Ubuntu, but all the bitcoin pieces don't seem to be sitting in one directory, so I just wouldn't know where to put the wallet. Is the wallet file the only file I need to transfer to get the bitcoin to recognise the bitcoins and to function perfectly?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 09:52:34 PM

It goes in the .bitcoin directory in your home directory.  Dirs that start with a '.' are hidden.  You can see them with 'ls -a'.

Yes, you just need the wallet.dat.  The rest will be automatically downloaded.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 10:02:22 PM

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

chufchuf (OP)

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 09:42:40 PM

plz help, thanks: Well, I'll be damned, but I have a bitcoin client in windows. I copied the wallet.dat, put it into linux, put it into the ubuntu installation with a brand new bitcoin client downloaded from ubuntu software center, replacing the default wallet.dat and now I get these error messages:

exception nst8ios_base7failureECDataStream::read() : end of data bitcoin in AppInit()

EXCEPTION NSt8ios_base7failureECDataStream::read() : end of data bitcoin in CMyApp::OnUnhandledException()
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 11:59:43 PM

plz help, thanks: Well, I'll be damned, but I have a bitcoin client in windows. I copied the wallet.dat, put it into linux, put it into the ubuntu installation with a brand new bitcoin client downloaded from ubuntu software center, replacing the default wallet.dat and now I get these error messages:

exception nst8ios_base7failureECDataStream::read() : end of data bitcoin in AppInit()

EXCEPTION NSt8ios_base7failureECDataStream::read() : end of data bitcoin in CMyApp::OnUnhandledException()

Does the same wallet.dat still load in Windows?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 06:38:24 AM

what version is you "brand new bitcoin client" ubuntu repos are usually a few versions behind, last 2 versions have security updates, check bitcoin.org make sure you are up to date Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: