Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:33:14 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone tell me which is the most secure of the offline wallets?  (Read 6765 times)
LordSonjai (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 10:53:55 PM

So one would assume that each offline wallet has of equal security depending on your passphrase but word around town is that single wallets generated by random strokes of keys and mouse movements can generate duplicates compromising your security.

It is to my understanding that the brain wallet makes a code based off of your pass limiting the odds of a duplicate right?
So that would make this the best offline wallet to choose from?

Can someone also explain to me how I can set up a wallet offline and keep it offline yet I can still send funds to it from a remote computer that is hooked up to the internet?thanks.
vm_mpn

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 11:33:30 PM

Do not know which one is the most secure (there are as many opinions as there are wallets) but you can always choose official selection from https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet Bitcoin core and Armory providing you are willing to download full copy of the blockchain. Electrum or MultiBit where you able to keep your private keys offline and access blockchain on the servers. You can also generate your paper wallet, or use one of the hardware wallets like Trezor.

Each wallet will give you your public key (aka Bitcoin address) where you can send coins to. Technically wallets do not hold coins. Instead, your public / private key hash gets recorded on the blockchain (do not quote me on this) which will keep track of all your transactions, including current balance, so as long as your private keys are kept secure and passwords are difficult to crack any wallet will serve it's intended purpose.

More experienced users can probably be more helpful on the subject as I have only ever used on-line wallet which is a big NO-NO around this forum.

Sellers

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 04:52:22 AM

Multibit(:
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 05:23:14 AM

Its more about the user than the wallet.

If you're using it strictly OFFLINE, meaning
the computer you're using has never been
subject to the possibility of malware, and
you keep it OFFLINE, and you sign transactions
OFFLINE... then the wallet is going
to be safe, unless it has some really
dumb critical flaws in it that would break
the ECDSA or something.

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 05:27:01 AM

I think the hardware wallets like Trezor is most secure. This device is not exposed to internet and only used for signing the transactions made by your another online wallet..
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 06:52:14 AM

Armory

Install on a non networked PC and use a webcam to sign transactions. Its the most secure option I can think of.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

caga

Activity: 238

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 09:08:29 AM

I have been using Armory for the last 6 months, and has been the most secure wallet till now for offline storage of bitcoins.
You might as well try wallets like Trezor to store bitcoins.

Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 09:11:01 AM

I can only suggest Armory as well! It's the most secure offline wallet imo.
El Emperador

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 06:41:41 PM

I have the same question.
My main concerns are about the security of servers ( like on Electrum ) and the possibility to easy back up the wallet on another client ( if the client we use will no longer be developed ).

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 06:48:01 PM

I do something to make mouse jitter RNG more secure, but I'm not saying what, because then everyone will do it... well I guess the phrase might be "obscure" but all I'm trying to do is take it out of the "standard" range of movements that might be made with a typical size mouse of typical weight by a human hand of average size on an arm of average length under normal earth g... etc etc. think for yourself on that one.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Connor936

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 11:03:16 PM

learn how to code, and then code your own. thats the only way to secure your coins
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2014, 11:04:32 PM

So one would assume that each offline wallet has of equal security depending on your passphrase but word around town is that single wallets generated by random strokes of keys and mouse movements can generate duplicates compromising your security.

It is to my understanding that the brain wallet makes a code based off of your pass limiting the odds of a duplicate right?
So that would make this the best offline wallet to choose from?

Can someone also explain to me how I can set up a wallet offline and keep it offline yet I can still send funds to it from a remote computer that is hooked up to the internet?thanks.

buy this:

http://www.coindesk.com/ledger-launches-usb-bitcoin-wallet-bank-grade-security/

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 12:08:07 AM

I use Bitcoin Core on an old laptop which is only being used for creating and loading cold wallet files.

The wallet files will then be stored on several usb sticks and external hdd's.
LordSonjai (OP)

Activity: 210

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 12:47:13 AM

with all due respect.
None of you succeeded in answering my question.
I don't know maybe I didn't write it properly or perhaps I am misinterpreting the comments . Maybe I am in the Matrix I just can't believe in all these comments no one answered my question.
nowfel

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 01:22:08 AM

i would like to choose Bitcoin Core also mSIGNA & Armory is a good choice too always be careful Smiley
feverpitch

Activity: 379

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 01:40:33 AM

Armory is pretty sweet.
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 06:51:03 AM

with all due respect.
I don't know maybe I didn't write it properly or perhaps I am misinterpreting the comments . Maybe I am in the Matrix I just can't believe in all these comments no one answered my question.

Its because you're unable to comprehend the answers.

You can use armory and make the transaction completely on a non-networked PC. Look it up.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 05:43:52 PM

with all due respect.

I think it's just the case that people are just trying to bring forth various considerations, in order that you may make your own decision.

If you wanna get told what to do... well I think I saw a Mistress for BTC thread or two...

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
HeroCat

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 08:04:51 PM

I think Trezor - it is simple and safe device  Grin Can change let say after 8 years to new Trezor, because of possible Trezor parts fail ( for example - Trezor buttons after long term use ).  Grin
johncarpe64

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 08:18:08 PM

Electrum is a good choice because it will give you cold storage as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: