Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:09:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining and electronics hybrid?  (Read 1266 times)
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 11:02:06 PM

Bitfury CEO suggests that hybrid products (electronics WITH mining) are coming.
TV, fridge, stereo, etc. mining bitcoin?
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/interview-bitfury-ceo-valery-vavilov-new-bitcoin-asic-chips-horizon/

Will this work? Honestly, if I had PC/Mac with extra block that mines bitcoin for the SAME price (or almost the same) as regular PC, it would be awesome.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 11:24:23 PM

I think we are quite a bit away from this.  I think we first need more to accept and use bitcoins before we have to many hybrid's.

A argument would be they are being used for heaters for some.  So you could say some are serving dual purpose.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 09:04:33 PM

Buying a bitcoin miner that could go into a PCI-E slot would be a decent seller IMO.   PERFECT for the hobby miner. 
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 09:46:45 PM

Buying a bitcoin miner that could go into a PCI-E slot would be a decent seller IMO.   PERFECT for the hobby miner. 

It's hard to do this.  There have been a few to advertise PCI-e that end up selling them once launched to sit out in air.  Monarch and there was another 2 I cant remember names i'm hitting a blank right now.

With cooling being outside of computer just makes sense.  Also being able to mine on their own without computer is a nice feature.
mwizard

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 10:10:34 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2014, 10:26:34 PM by mwizard

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/interview-bitfury-ceo-valery-vavilov-new-bitcoin-asic-chips-horizon/

Will this work? Honestly, if I had PC/Mac with extra block that mines bitcoin for the SAME price (or almost the same) as regular PC, it would be awesome.

It is not going to happen.

1) Electricity costs are what limits most bitcoin miners.  For most parts of the world the electricity cost makes bitcoin mining uneconomic.  A miner built into a domestic appliance is very unlikely to be more energy efficient (Hashs/Watt) than a large dedicated ASIC miner.  So all you would do is up your electricity cost.  

Fundamentally a bitcoin miner is a device for turning electricity into bitcoin.  The cheaper the electricity the more economic it becomes. So bitcoins are normally mined in low energy cost areas with bitcoin miners designed for the best possible energy efficiency.

The only domestic device where bitcoin mining may be economic is to replace your electrical space heater with a bitcoin miner.

2) There is an enormous performance difference between mining on a general purpose CPU and a dedicated ASIC miner.  For example 3-30 megahash on a Core 2 PC compared to 3 terrahash on a modern ASIC miner.  So an ASIC miner could be up to a million times faster at mining bitcoin than a normal CPU in a domestic appliance.  

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 03:52:22 PM

It's hard to do this.  There have been a few to advertise PCI-e that end up selling them once launched to sit out in air.  Monarch and there was another 2 I cant remember names i'm hitting a blank right now.

With cooling being outside of computer just makes sense.  Also being able to mine on their own without computer is a nice feature.

Ya but BFL made the monarch as they were dying..

Although you are right the S1 and S3 have been awesome for me as they are a setup, forget and I don't need my comp on.
caga

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 08:53:26 PM

Even if it works, there would certainly be a huge electricity price, which would steer a lot of people away to even try mining.
It also doesn't sound friendly for the environment.

xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 01:04:37 AM

You can theoretically shoehorn a Monarch into a large PC. I think it would overheat within minutes though. VMC initially marketed/pre-sold a PCI-e miner. But we all know how that turned out, lol.
malaimult

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 02:42:59 AM

It is not going to happen.

1) Electricity costs are what limits most bitcoin miners.  For most parts of the world the electricity cost makes bitcoin mining uneconomic.  A miner built into a domestic appliance is very unlikely to be more energy efficient (Hashs/Watt) than a large dedicated ASIC miner.  So all you would do is up your electricity cost.  

Fundamentally a bitcoin miner is a device for turning electricity into bitcoin.  The cheaper the electricity the more economic it becomes. So bitcoins are normally mined in low energy cost areas with bitcoin miners designed for the best possible energy efficiency.

The only domestic device where bitcoin mining may be economic is to replace your electrical space heater with a bitcoin miner.

Electric appliances will consume some amount of electricity even when not being used. If a manufacturer can make their appliance be able to mine while not using very much more (or any more) electricity then what it would use while it is "idling" then this could potentially be possible, but would not generate very much revenue

lili song

Activity: 980
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 07:53:05 AM

If electronic can be use for mining, the price will be more expensive.

Let us hope if this hybrid technology exist

should been test for their power consumption and their effectivity before sold on public
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: