Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:41:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendors using multiple addresses to keep track of orders  (Read 1194 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 05:11:38 PM

I understand why this is done, you generate a new address for every order that goes through so that you can track that order.

But am I missing something here or could you not just have the customer input their own address into a field such as when they fill out their address. Then give them the same address that you use for all customers. Then you can track each order based upon the source address as opposed to generating a bunch of new addresses.

Is this feasible?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 05:25:04 PM

I understand why this is done, you generate a new address for every order that goes through so that you can track that order.

But am I missing something here or could you not just have the customer input their own address into a field such as when they fill out their address. Then give them the same address that you use for all customers. Then you can track each order based upon the source address as opposed to generating a bunch of new addresses.

Is this feasible?
No.

Customers generally don't know what address their coins will be coming from.
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 05:27:57 PM

Is this feasible?
No.

Sgt Spike is correct.

when we create a unique address for an invoice, its basically a bucket whose address is only known to the customer.  Then we sit and wait for the bitcoins to fall out of the sky (literally) into this bucket.  When they do, we usually have no idea where they came from, but since its a single use address, we can confidently say that particular order has been paid for.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 06:40:13 PM

No.

Ok, then this is where my understanding of Bitcoin has a hole in it.

When you download your wallet you get an address. You use that address to tell people where to send money to get it to you.

Does that address not correspond to what you then send to someone else?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 06:43:38 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 07:02:48 PM by Bit-pay Merchant Solutions

No.

Ok, then this is where my understanding of Bitcoin has a hole in it.

When you download your wallet you get an address. You use that address to tell people where to send money to get it to you.

Does that address not correspond to what you then send to someone else?

unfortunately it does not.

The main client, for example, creates a brand new bitcoin address for you anytime there is "change" from a transaction that you send.  the user has no control over this.  And there's little control over what address the funds get sent from.

Instawallet tried to do what you are saying, and it does work on a small scale.  But its not something that can be relied on.  That's why they created the "green address" last year so that transactions could be sent from a generic address that all instawallet users could share, and external wallets would be able to identify them as coming from an instawallet user.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 07:11:11 PM

Ok, thank you for the clarification. I need to do a bit more research on how things work at that level.

Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 07:15:14 PM

Is this feasible?

Did you consider pregeneration a lot of addresses as well ? So every time a customer does a purchase, instead of generating a new bitcoin address, you just dish out on that's pregenerated from before.

Additional benefit being that you could check the balance from the block chain, and didn't need to have the wallet containing the addresses attached to the network constantly.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 07:19:38 PM

Ok, thank you for the clarification. I need to do a bit more research on how things work at that level.

No problem.  i still need to come visit your wife's shop!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: