Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:41:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Emma Meme: SEMANTIC ISSUES NEEDS RESOLVING ~ Please Help!  (Read 13250 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 04:43:07 AM

Question: Should Internets be changed to internet (lower case)?

NO! IT is the Internets  Wink

You know, when you consider TOR, and the various other dark-nets, that's actually factually correct.
It's spelled Tor, you nonce Tongue

Well, it is now....  I still prefer the acronym to differentiate it from the publishing company, though.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gladamas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:08:42 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat. He had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

I believe that semicolon is incorrect as it does not join two sentences.

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 05:28:02 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2012, 05:59:17 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat. He had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

Is it safe to reckon there weren't no Grammar Nazis in 1815? To paraphrase Meat Loaf: Life Is A Lemon (And I Want My Semicolon Back).
fatigue

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:31:55 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

I gave it back  Smiley
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:32:33 AM

Is it safe to reckon there weren't no Grammar Nazis in 1815? To paraphrase Meatloaf: Life Is A Lemon (And I Want My Semicolon Back).

i think the semi-colon is correct, but makes 'and' redundant.

as a grammar nazi, i would think it correct to write "blessings of existence; she had lived..."
payb.tc

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:33:54 AM

Satoshi Wagner, faceless, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:35:47 AM

@ le nazis.... Your arguement is invalid.
Gladamas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:37:27 AM

Satoshi Wagner, faceless, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 06:16:45 AM

Is it safe to reckon there weren't no Grammar Nazis in 1815? To paraphrase Meatloaf: Life Is A Lemon (And I Want My Semicolon Back).

i think the semi-colon is correct, but makes 'and' redundant.

as a grammar nazi, i would think it correct to write "blessings of existence; she had lived..."

http://www.rachelneumeier.com/2012/06/12/ooh-ooh-im-a-semi-colon/
You can’t get away with three semi-colons per paragraph unless you’re Jane Austin.

When I starting thinking about creating this thread, I read several first paragraphs of famous titles, and felt this one would fit the bill for what I had in mind. I was, and still am, only vaguely familiar with Emma, let alone Jane Austin or any of her other work. This fun thread has now become a learning experience for me, and I hope for others as well.

Now back to the fun.

Satoshi Wagner, faceless, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize banknotes.

~Bruno~

Edit: I just noticed that somebody (I won't state who) blasphemed our beloved SN.
payb.tc

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 06:20:37 AM

Satoshi Wagner, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize banknotes.
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 06:22:39 AM

Satoshi Wagner, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress or vaporize banknotes.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 06:24:23 AM

Satoshi Wagner, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress or vaporize BTCitcoin.

(when we're done with BW, you know who's next--mNw)
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 06:35:17 AM

Satoshi Wagner, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize BTCitcoin.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 06:45:48 AM

BTCruce Wagner, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize BTCitcoin.
payb.tc

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 09:43:55 AM

BTCruce Nakamoto, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize BTCitcoin.
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:30:20 PM

BTCruce Nakamoto, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashish, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize BTCitcoin.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 04:33:37 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely private, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize BTCitcoin.

I took the liberty and changed two words (see bold). Let's maintain the Satoshi Nakamoto theme for this Emma Meme (I've something up my sleeve).

Continue changing only one word at a time or adding a word but another one must be strikethrough, all the while not changing the overall theme/flavor of the paragraph or word count. The semicolon is important to this work, therefore should remain even though it may pose a modern grammatical challenge.

The end result will take Jane Austin's first paragraph of her fictitious novel Emma and turn it into a factual account of Satoshi Nakamoto, albeit a pseudonym, via changing one word at a time.

Once the end result is completed to everybody's satisfaction, an edited generation of the process will be posted, thus showcasing the first ever Emma Meme. As luck would have it, the name Satoshi Nakamoto will be the first.

The next step will be to introduce the Emma Meme to other forums, blogs, etc., having their viewership transform Emma Woodhouse to another name, one word at a time.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 04:37:11 PM

BTCruce Nakamoto, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashish, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize BTCitcoin.

I've modified the original premise of this exercise, dancupid (see my last post), going from going-for-the-funny to get-serious. Would you be so kind as to try your editing hand again? Thanks, bud.

~Bruno~

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely private, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize banknotes.
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:39:31 PM

I've modified the original premise of this exercise, dancupid (see my last post), going from going-for-the-funny to get-serious. Would you be so kind as to try your editing hand again? Thanks, bud.

~Bruno~

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely private, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize BTCitcoin.

I'll try again (again) - I'll try to invoke my muse in my next modification.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 04:43:26 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2012, 04:57:04 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

~Bruno~

I'll try again (again) - I'll try to invoke my muse in my next modification.

Fair enough, bud.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely private, and shy, with an unknown home of abounding hashish, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize banknotes.

The following is approximately where I would like to see to end up with--factual and to the point.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely private, perhaps shy, of an unknown home of abounding hashish (needed), plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured (enduring(?) but we loose words) for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize banknotes (may need to be tighter/more precise).

Let's continue.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely private, and shy, with an unknown home of abounding hashish, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize banknotes.

On the service, my next suggestion may come across as crazy or stupid, but I'll express it nonetheless.

I would love to see the final edited iterations published in some magazine, hopefully one sold at Barnes & Noble.

~Bruno~
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: