Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:43:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Emma Meme: SEMANTIC ISSUES NEEDS RESOLVING ~ Please Help!  (Read 13250 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 05:30:46 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2012, 05:42:57 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

The above quote is the first paragraph of Emma, by Jane Austen, a novel first published in 1815.

The object of this thread is to have you change ONLY one (1) word (bold it) and still have the paragraph remain grammatically correct.

The goal is to see how the paragraph reads after hopefully a 100+ changes.

If nobody minds, I'll start.

Satoshi Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

Rules:

• Any word can be changed.
  • Any word can be changed more than once.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fatigue

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 05:58:53 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:02:50 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:11:02 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, hung-like-a-donkey, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

I hyphened the phrase to make it ONLY one word above.

Satoshi Nakamoto, hung-like-a-donkey, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy chiguagua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

Yeah I realized and deleted it - I'll try again.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 06:14:16 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, hung-like-a-donkey, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

I changed back to disposition and handsome and now awaiting your edit.

~Bruno~

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 06:19:41 PM

Bit of a cop-out, but someone needs to do it...

I withdraw my edit, China works just fine.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
dancupid

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:20:23 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex China.

Ok I've messed it up,  though hung-like-a-donkey hyphenated does appear in the Oxford dictionary - I believe the Queen says it regularly. We'll stick with handsome for now.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 06:25:42 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 07:10:50 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

I changed back to disposition and handsome and now awaiting your edit.

~Bruno~

Wait a sec! I think a hyphened phrase can replace a word. SgtSpike changed twenty-one to nine-thousand, so why not handsome to hung-like-a-donkey? Somewhere down the road that phrase may be even replaced with (?).

That said, here's the newly edited paragraph.

Satoshi Nakamoto, hung-like-a-donkey, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy chihuahua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

I was about to post the above as a stand-alone post, but now I see I need to amend this because of the following.

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex China.

Ok I've messed it up,  though hung-like-a-donkey hyphenated does appear in the Oxford dictionary - I believe the Queen says it regularly. We'll stick with handsome for now.

Here's the newly edited paragraph.

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy chihuahua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex China.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:28:30 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy chihuahua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex China.
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:35:34 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy chihuahua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or vex China.
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:42:47 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 07:13:33 PM by LoupGaroux

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a unknown home and happy chihuahua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or vex China.

(I would like to thank dancupid for the post below where he caught the set-up I was forced to leave with the "only one word" rule... lest anyone think me grammatically ill-informed!)
dancupid

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:47:34 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 07:08:26 PM by dancupid

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy chihuahua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or vex China.

I'm a stickler for this sort of thing - and Mansfield Park is a better novel
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 06:50:20 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy chihuahua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke China.

Broke it but the last part needs fixing anyway, it'll get there eventually.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
cadillac

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:52:16 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy seals-with-clubs, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke China.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 07:04:10 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy seals-with-clubs, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.

austonst

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 09:17:39 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy seals-with-clubs, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.

Sorry, it had to be done.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 09:27:59 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.

Sorry, it had to be done.

Honestly, I'm surprised it wasn't earlier.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 09:29:09 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, seemed to demolish some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 11:04:41 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, seemed to demolish some of the best blessings of money; and had lived over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.

Still around.
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 11:16:16 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, seemed to demolish some of the best blessings of Fiat; and had lived over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.

Sorry Edd, had to fix it.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 11:19:27 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, seemed to demolish some of the best shortcomings of Fiat; and had lived over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 11:22:03 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, seemed to demolish some of the best shortcomings of Fiat; and had lived over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 11:25:23 PM

Sorry Edd, had to fix it.

Well, I was going to use fiat but kept thinking of the car.  Tongue

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, seemed to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had lived over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.

Still around.
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 11:28:06 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, seemed to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 12:29:03 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, seemed to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

I'm not sure of the grammatical correctness of that last bit ever since Blueseed (?) was introduced.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 01:32:18 AM

This thread is too difficult to understand. I need for it to be dumbed down a bit.

It's easy. this:

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, seemed to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.
becomes:

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 01:48:27 AM

can we add a word at a time?
Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 03:35:25 AM

can we add a word at a time?
Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

Interesting question! But if we did that, soon the paragraph may become too long. But what if you added a word, and at the same time remove a word, then the word count would remain the same?

For instance, your new paragraph (sentence) would become...

[/quote]

Then my edit would be...

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured over nine years on the Internets with very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

Question: Should Internets be changed to internet (lower case)?

BTW, thanks to all who've contributed to date. It's amazing how the paragraph is progressing so far. I didn't plan it to come out like it has, but so far it looks like we're turning a fictional paragraph into a factual one, one word at a time.

Thanks, again.

~Bruno~
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 03:45:06 AM

NO! IT is the Internets  Wink
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 03:53:47 AM

You know, when you consider TOR, and the various other dark-nets, that's actually factually correct.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 03:54:16 AM

It just looks/reads odd. Can somebody else concur?

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 03:55:10 AM

NO! IT is the Internets  Wink

You know, when you consider TOR, and the various other dark-nets, that's actually factually correct.

Excellent answer!

I did change in to on. Is this still considered correct grammar?

~Bruno~
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 03:56:40 AM

Huzzah! We have a reason!
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 03:58:03 AM

To continue on...

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured over nine years on the Internets with very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.
JesseChisholm

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:01:16 AM

Huzzah! We have a season!

Oops. Sorry. Wrong paragraph. Smiley
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 04:03:10 AM

Huzzah! We haz a season!

Oops. Sorry. Wrong paragraph. Smiley

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured over many years on the Internets with very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:06:05 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish all of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured over many years on the Internets with very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.
JesseChisholm

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:06:52 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured over many years on the Internets with very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.
[/quote]

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured over many years on the Internets intending very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

There! That's the right paragraph.

-Jesse
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:08:49 AM

It's spelled Tor, you nonce Tongue
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 04:09:38 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured over many years on the Internets intending very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

There! That's the right paragraph.

-Jesse
[/quote]

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

Comma now needed after the word Internets? (I inserted, but if wrong, please remove)
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 04:43:07 AM

It's spelled Tor, you nonce Tongue

Well, it is now....  I still prefer the acronym to differentiate it from the publishing company, though.

Gladamas

Activity: 294

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:08:42 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat. He had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

I believe that semicolon is incorrect as it does not join two sentences.

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 05:28:02 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2012, 05:59:17 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat. He had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

Is it safe to reckon there weren't no Grammar Nazis in 1815? To paraphrase Meat Loaf: Life Is A Lemon (And I Want My Semicolon Back).
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:31:55 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

I gave it back  Smiley
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:32:33 AM

Is it safe to reckon there weren't no Grammar Nazis in 1815? To paraphrase Meatloaf: Life Is A Lemon (And I Want My Semicolon Back).

i think the semi-colon is correct, but makes 'and' redundant.

as a grammar nazi, i would think it correct to write "blessings of existence; she had lived..."
payb.tc

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:33:54 AM

Satoshi Wagner, faceless, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of happy hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:35:47 AM

@ le nazis.... Your arguement is invalid.
Gladamas

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:37:27 AM

Satoshi Wagner, faceless, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize Blueseed.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 06:16:45 AM

Is it safe to reckon there weren't no Grammar Nazis in 1815? To paraphrase Meatloaf: Life Is A Lemon (And I Want My Semicolon Back).

i think the semi-colon is correct, but makes 'and' redundant.

as a grammar nazi, i would think it correct to write "blessings of existence; she had lived..."

http://www.rachelneumeier.com/2012/06/12/ooh-ooh-im-a-semi-colon/
You can’t get away with three semi-colons per paragraph unless you’re Jane Austin.

When I starting thinking about creating this thread, I read several first paragraphs of famous titles, and felt this one would fit the bill for what I had in mind. I was, and still am, only vaguely familiar with Emma, let alone Jane Austin or any of her other work. This fun thread has now become a learning experience for me, and I hope for others as well.

Now back to the fun.

Satoshi Wagner, faceless, extremely brilliant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize banknotes.

~Bruno~

Edit: I just noticed that somebody (I won't state who) blasphemed our beloved SN.
payb.tc

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 06:20:37 AM

Satoshi Wagner, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very little to distress or vaporize banknotes.
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 06:22:39 AM

Satoshi Wagner, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress or vaporize banknotes.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 06:24:23 AM

Satoshi Wagner, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress or vaporize BTCitcoin.

(when we're done with BW, you know who's next--mNw)
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 06:35:17 AM

Satoshi Wagner, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize BTCitcoin.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 06:45:48 AM

BTCruce Wagner, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize BTCitcoin.
payb.tc

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 09:43:55 AM

BTCruce Nakamoto, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize BTCitcoin.
dancupid

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:30:20 PM

BTCruce Nakamoto, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashish, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize BTCitcoin.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 04:33:37 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely private, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize BTCitcoin.

I took the liberty and changed two words (see bold). Let's maintain the Satoshi Nakamoto theme for this Emma Meme (I've something up my sleeve).

Continue changing only one word at a time or adding a word but another one must be strikethrough, all the while not changing the overall theme/flavor of the paragraph or word count. The semicolon is important to this work, therefore should remain even though it may pose a modern grammatical challenge.

The end result will take Jane Austin's first paragraph of her fictitious novel Emma and turn it into a factual account of Satoshi Nakamoto, albeit a pseudonym, via changing one word at a time.

Once the end result is completed to everybody's satisfaction, an edited generation of the process will be posted, thus showcasing the first ever Emma Meme. As luck would have it, the name Satoshi Nakamoto will be the first.

The next step will be to introduce the Emma Meme to other forums, blogs, etc., having their viewership transform Emma Woodhouse to another name, one word at a time.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 04:37:11 PM

BTCruce Nakamoto, faceless, extremely pregnant, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashish, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize BTCitcoin.

I've modified the original premise of this exercise, dancupid (see my last post), going from going-for-the-funny to get-serious. Would you be so kind as to try your editing hand again? Thanks, bud.

~Bruno~

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely private, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize banknotes.
dancupid

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:39:31 PM

I've modified the original premise of this exercise, dancupid (see my last post), going from going-for-the-funny to get-serious. Would you be so kind as to try your editing hand again? Thanks, bud.

~Bruno~

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely private, and rich, with an unknown home of abounding hashes, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize BTCitcoin.

I'll try again (again) - I'll try to invoke my muse in my next modification.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 04:43:26 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2012, 04:57:04 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

~Bruno~

I'll try again (again) - I'll try to invoke my muse in my next modification.

Fair enough, bud.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely private, and shy, with an unknown home of abounding hashish, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize banknotes.

The following is approximately where I would like to see to end up with--factual and to the point.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely private, perhaps shy, of an unknown home of abounding hashish (needed), plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured (enduring(?) but we loose words) for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize banknotes (may need to be tighter/more precise).

Let's continue.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely private, and shy, with an unknown home of abounding hashish, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize banknotes.

On the service, my next suggestion may come across as crazy or stupid, but I'll express it nonetheless.

I would love to see the final edited iterations published in some magazine, hopefully one sold at Barnes & Noble.

~Bruno~
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:54:40 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, and shy, with an unknown home of abounding hashish, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize banknotes.
dancupid

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:56:41 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, and shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize banknotes.

'cried Miss Crawford with alacrity' Mansfield Park. Jane Austen
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 04:58:52 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, and shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to distress and vaporize banknotes.

'cried Miss Crawford with alacrity' Mansfield Park. Jane Austen

That's the spirit! (although I needed to Google that--EXCELLENT!) Hopefully, the resulting paragraph does succumb to a too heavy laden verbiage one.

We're damn close now. Maybe only a few more, and we may complete the task.

~Bruno~
Gladamas

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:03:24 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, and shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to replace and vaporize banknotes.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 05:05:00 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, plotted to demolish some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to replace and vaporize banknotes.
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:12:36 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, plotted to pulverize some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to replace and vaporize banknotes.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 05:14:48 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to pulverize some of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to replace and vaporize banknotes.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:16:42 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to pulverize every of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to replace and vaporize banknotes.
Gladamas

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:18:48 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to pulverize every of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to replace and vaporize centralization.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 05:20:14 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to pulverize all of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to replace and vaporize centralization.

According to http://www.wordcounttool.com/, we somehow added a word. The word count went from 40 to 41, therefore I strikethrough the word for.

~Bruno~
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:20:35 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to pulverize every of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured for many years on the Internets, intending very much to replace and vaporize banknotes.

grammar fail

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Gladamas

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:22:22 PM

grammar fail

It would be every shortcoming, I presume, but we would lose words.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:22:51 PM

grammar fail
Brain fart.  Wink
It's 1.22 AM here, but it might be due the test I'm studying for.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 05:24:25 PM

grammar fail
Brain fart.  Wink
It's 1.22 AM here, but it might be due the test I'm studying for.

I already fixed it.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to pulverize all of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured many years on the Internets, intending very much to replace and vaporize centralization.

How close are we into getting a consensus?
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:33:23 PM

Thanks for the quick save.  Grin

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to pulverize all of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured uncountable years on the Internets, intending very much to replace and vaporize centralization.
ludo0777

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 06:03:03 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to pulverize all of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured uncountable years on the Internet, intending very much to replace and destroy centralization.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 06:05:53 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to pulverize all of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured uncountable years on the Internets, intending very much to replace and vaporize centralization.

Should Fiat be capitalized and should quotation marks be used?

And if we eliminated of in "all of the worst", what and where should a new word be placed?

Does the resulting paragraph so far personify Satoshi Nakamoto in a factual light?

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 06:08:39 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2012, 07:11:25 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to pulverize all of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured uncountable years on the Internet, intending very much to replace and destroy centralization.

Do we believe that it was Satoshi's intent to destroy(?) centralization or centralized banking?

Is the following accurate? (jumping ahead)

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to void all the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured uncountable years on the Internet(s) intending, most likely, to replace and liquidate centralized banking.

Don't worry too much of how the resulting paragraph above was generated via one word at time, but concentrate on the final 40-word-count paragraph being accurate. Once the task is completed, I'll be able to outline how we achieved the final result.
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 11:36:55 PM

I have no idea about this thread..

But!

"I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;a
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.
I'm very good at integral and differential calculus;
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous:
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.
I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's;
I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox,
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus,
In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous;
I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows and Zoffanies,
I know the croaking chorus from The Frogs of Aristophanes!b
Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore,c
And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore.
Then I can write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform,
And tell you ev'ry detail of Caractacus's uniform:d
In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin",
When I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a Javelin,e
When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at,
And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat",
When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery,
When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery—
In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy—
You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee.
For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General."

Your welcome..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Gladamas

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 11:55:12 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to void all the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured uncountable years on the Internet(s) intending, most likely, to replace and liquidate centralized banking.

Repetitive.

Better word?

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to void all [of] the worst shortcomings of fiat currency (by intending to eliminate centralized banking); and endured uncountable years on the Internet(s) intending, most likely, to replace and liquidate centralized banking.

Dispose? Discharge? Relieve? Abrogate? Supplant?

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to void all the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured [for] uncountable years on the Internet(s) intending, most likely, to replace and liquidate centralized banking (with a decentralized system).

Supplant?

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 01:55:51 AM

I have no idea about this thread..

But!

"I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;a
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.
I'm very good at integral and differential calculus;
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous:
I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's;
I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox,
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus,
In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous;
I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows and Zoffanies,
I know the croaking chorus from The Frogs of Aristophanes!b
Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore,c
And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore.
Then I can write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform,
And tell you ev'ry detail of Caractacus's uniform:d
In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin",
When I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a Javelin,e
When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at,
And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat",
When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery,
When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery—
In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy—
You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee.
For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General."

Your welcome..

I agree with him. If this thread were a standardized test I would intentionally mispell my name and draw pictures on the form.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, extremely anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown penis of abounding alacrity, advocated to pulverize all of the worst shortcomings of Fiat; and had endured uncountable years on the Internet, intending very much to replace and destroy centralization.

I'm in the process of penning another post. Please stand by.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 02:24:13 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 02:53:17 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Repetitive.

Better word?

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to void all [of] the worst shortcomings of fiat currency (by intending to eliminate centralized banking); and endured uncountable years on the Internet(s) intending, most likely, to replace and liquidate centralized banking.

Dispose? Discharge? Relieve? Abrogate? Supplant?

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, perhaps shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, advocated to void all the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured [for] uncountable years on the Internet(s) intending, most likely, to replace and liquidate centralized banking (with a decentralized system).

Supplant?

I should have paid more attention during HS English (no college, though I did have a scholarship to MIT that I was not made aware of till my early twenties), but if I did, I probably won't have gotten a perfect 800 on the math part of the SAT (taken at Indian University in '78).

Thank you so kindly, Gladamas, for your valuable input. A revised paragraph will conclude this post coupled with possibly a concern/question or two.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured uncountable years hop-scotching through cyberspace, intending to supplant the current centralized banking institute.

So much for trying to keep a handle on the verbiage.

Gladamas is correct about the repetitiveness of the following: faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity. I suggest we keep "notably anonymous".

Further input?

~Bruno~

The original text:

Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 02:50:45 AM

Your welcome..

For? Copying and pasting, without even bothering to clean up the footnotes?

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 02:57:46 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 03:24:57 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

In red is written in stone.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hop-scotching through cyberspace, intending to supplant the current centralized banking institute.

In bold, I propose we keep, unless a counter-argument is warranted. Underlined needs addressing.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hop-scotching through cyberspace, intending to(possible keep both words) supplant the current centralized banking institute.

If "promulgated to abrogate" is factually and grammatically correct, I propose we keep that for sing-song rhythm purposes.

I've also changed 'uncountable years' to 'untold years' to keep in the spirit of secrecy.

I opted to use the hyphenated version of 'hop-scotching' so that there still remains one hyphenated word in the final edit.

Original:
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 03:32:01 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, intending to supplant the world's central bank-issued money.

In red needs addressing. Use the original text below as a guide. I just added the bold text. Would this suffice? Since bank-issued is hyphenated, I changed back to 'hopscotching'.

The good news is that we retained the 40 word count.

~Bruno~
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 04:21:47 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, intending to supplant the world's central bank-issued money.

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with shit, this is hard! of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, intending to supplant the world's central bank-issued money.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 04:34:47 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, faceless, notably anonymous, possibly shy, with an unknown home of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, ordained to supplant the world's central bank-issued promissory notes.

In red needs addressing. Use the original text below as a guide. I just added the bold text. Would this suffice? Since bank-issued is hyphenated, I changed back to 'hopscotching'.

~Bruno~
Gladamas

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 04:41:09 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, intelligent, notably anonymous, and shy, with a technological drive of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate all of the worst shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, intending to supplant the world's central bank-issued money.

A synonym for "intelligent" (bright, brilliant, ingenious) will work also.

Something like "technological drive" (a desire to code? develop software?), but that doesn't sound quite right...

I'm thinking of a better way to rephrase "the world's central bank-issued money."

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 04:43:52 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 05:25:26 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Please forgive me for editing within your quoted text. I just realized my error.

Satoshi Nakamoto, clever, notably anonymous, and shy, with a Turing drive of abounding alacrity and zest, promulgated to abrogate the shortcomings of fiat currency; and endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, ordained to supplant the global central banking promissory notes.

A synonym for "intelligent" (bright, brilliant, ingenious) will work also.

Something like "technological drive" (a desire to code? develop software?), but that doesn't sound quite right...

I'm thinking of a better way to rephrase "the world's central bank-issued money."

Thank you kindly, Gladamas, for this input. Would replacing intending with ordained work?

During you hunt, don't worry too much about the word count at that juncture, for we can make it up, or correct it, elsewhere.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 05:28:00 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 05:58:29 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, inventive, and enigmatically shy, with a "Turing" drive of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency; and endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, self-ordained to supplant the global central banking promissory notes.

How close are we?

Original:
Gladamas

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 06:58:21 AM

Thank you kindly, Gladamas, for this input. Would replacing intending with ordained work?

During you hunt, don't worry too much about the word count at that juncture, for we can make it up, or correct it, elsewhere.

~Bruno~

No problem Smiley thanks for the kind words!

Self-ordained works very beautifully.

Here's my thoughts on this:

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with [an?] impellent initiative of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency; and had endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, self-ordained to supplant unitarily-commissioned denominations of money.

I'm not sure if 'unitarily-' is a word... Tongue

We could use "currency" instead of "money."

Original:

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 03:09:22 PM

WOW!

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with an impellent drive of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency; and had endured untold years hopscotching through cyberspace, self-ordained to supplant unitarily-commissioned denominations of currency.

I like initiative but prefer drive because shy/drive and promulgated/abrogate gives the paragraph that singing effect.

I'm glad to see had reintroduced.

Currency does complement commissioned, coupled with the implication of cursing hard-cold-cash.

Thanks for the comment on the word self-ordained. Unitarily-commissioned seems to work nicely, but now we have two hyphenated words, and one has to go. I like yours, therefore mine needs revised.

Either hyphenated word counts as one word, and at the moment the word count stands at 39, one shy of what's needed.

I'm not sure why your an ([an?]) is in brackets and with a question mark. I feel it works fine.

~Bruno~

Original:
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 03:47:58 PM

Gosh, way to suck all the fun out of it.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 03:50:42 PM

Gosh, way to suck all the fun out of it.

What do we have here? BadBear Driving the Daisys (family)?

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 03:58:58 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 04:44:56 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with impellent drive of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency; and had endured untold years hopscotching to secure cyberspace, ordained to supplant the unitarily-commissioned global currency reserves.

I now realize why [and?] after some research.

His faith in this doctrine, in fact, may not only have ushered in a new train of emotions, but may have set him forth with impellent power on a course of activity that is quite interminable, having both brought a new sensation into his ...

I was hoping to not incorporate added articles, i.e., the the before unitarily-commissioned.

I feel that securing the internet needs mentioning.

Self-ordained to ordained should work just as well, albeit a slightly different connotation.

The word count now stands at 40.

Original:

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 04:57:56 PM

Reality Check:

• Emma Woodhouse --> Satoshi Nakamoto
  • handsome, clever, and rich, --> notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy,
  • with a comfortable home and happy disposition, --> with impellent drive of abounding alacrity,
  • seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; --> promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency;
  • and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world --> and had endured untold years hopscotching to secure cyberspace,
  • with very little to distress or vex her. --> ordained to supplant the unitarily-commissioned global currency reserves.

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with impellent drive of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency; and had endured untold years hopscotching to secure cyberspace, ordained to supplant the unitarily-commissioned global currency reserves.

OR

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with impellent drive of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency; and had endured untold years hopscotching, securing cyberspace, then ordained to supplant the unitarily-commissioned global currency reserves.
JesseChisholm

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 06:30:28 PM

Reality Check:

• handsome, clever, and rich, --> notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy,
  • with a comfortable home and happy disposition, --> with impellent drive of abounding alacrity,
  • seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; --> promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency;
  • and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world --> and had endured untold years hopscotching to secure cyberspace,
  • with very little to distress or vex her. --> ordained to supplant the unitarily-commissioned global currency reserves.
re: Reality Check
Excellent question. (If "reality" is reasonable to apply to this prim rose path. )

Line 1 : the subject
Line 2 : personal attributes of the subject
Line 3 : continued attributes of the subject
Line 4
    On Emma's side   : describes a nebulous attribute of the subject
    On Satoshi's side : describes an action taken by an unknown actor about the subject
Line 5
    On Emma's side   : describes the span of time and domain pertinent to the subject.
    On Satoshi's side : describes the span of time and an action taken by the subject for a goal in a domain.
Line 6
    On Emma's side   : describes the conditions the subject encountered.
    On Satoshi's side : describes in more details the goal required of the subject by an unknown actor.

So, the semantic structure has drifted a bit.

-Jesse
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 06:52:44 PM

Reality Check:

Excellent question. (If "reality" is reasonable to apply to this prim rose path. )

Line 4
    On Emma's side   : describes a nebulous attribute of the subject
    On Satoshi's side : describes an action taken by an unknown actor about the subject
Line 5
    On Emma's side   : describes the span of time and domain pertinent to the subject.
    On Satoshi's side : describes the span of time and an action taken by the subject for a goal in a domain.
Line 6
    On Emma's side   : describes the conditions the subject encountered.
    On Satoshi's side : describes in more details the goal required of the subject by an unknown actor.

-Jesse

That thought has somewhat occurred to me, hence the "Reality Check". You're valuable contribution, JesseChisholm, is duly noted. I'm going to be out of pocket for a few hours, but when I return this evening, I'm going to work on this further, for your valid points do need addressing.

~Bruno~
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 08:13:09 PM

Would anyone like me to produce an animation of the text when we're done?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 05:03:14 PM

Seriously? Seriously, are you serious? I would love to see any of your previous work. I look forward to your reply.

Ça me plaît. (i4t)

~Bruno~

PS: I'm in the process of hashing out Jesse's suggestions. From my vague understanding of semantics, it seems I/we only have it half right.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 05:37:53 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with impellent drive of abounding alacrity, promulgated to abrogate the Achilles' heels of fiat currency; and had endured untold years hopscotching, securing cyberspace, then ordained to supplant the unitarily-commissioned global currency reserves.

My apologies for opting for my last iteration, but it doesn't really matter at this point because it looks like a major rewrite is in order.

Per Jesse's observations, I'll/we'll now work backwards to bring the overall semantics in line.

Reality Check:

Line 4
Line 5
    On Emma's side   : describes the span of time and domain pertinent to the subject.
Line 6

-Jesse

According to Jesse, in red above is fine--semantically matches. It's the other three parts that need addressing.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 06:07:20 PM

Semantically speaking, worrying about verbiage late, does the following work for the forth line? (resolving the semantics one-line-at-a-time)

appeared to disrupt the epoch of fiat currency;

from...

seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence;
LoupGaroux

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:24:16 PM

Zut alors! Phinnaeus, vous parlez français mon vieux? C'est une chose merveilleuse à apprendre.

Once this dog is done... let's see how many languages we can translate it into for teh benefit of the world-wide bit-community.

nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:28:00 PM

Seriously? Seriously, are you serious? I would love to see any of your previous work. I look forward to your reply.

Ça me plaît. (i4t)

~Bruno~

PS: I'm in the process of hashing out Jesse's suggestions. From my vague understanding of semantics, it seems I/we only have it half right.
I am serious, but you sound too excited. It wouldn't be fancy, with Blender'd 3D graphics, it would just be antialiased text in a pre-determined font changing word-by-word. I'd be using GDI+ and various other aspects of the WinAPI.

Ah, et je parlais un peu de francais aussi.
LoupGaroux

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:38:31 PM

Encore, zut! And yes, an animated version would be delightful... go for it.
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:51:52 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2012, 07:14:32 PM by nimda

I'd prefer the text be done first, but I can start working on the program... I think I'll use the magical AutoHotkey_L
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 07:09:52 PM

Zut alors! Phinnaeus, vous parlez français mon vieux? C'est une chose merveilleuse à apprendre.

Once this dog is done... let's see how many languages we can translate it into for teh benefit of the world-wide bit-community.

Now do you see why evoorhees is my favorite writer?  Grin

This may sound pompous coming from a guy who only has a rudimentary command of the English language, but I have grand plans for this project.

I'd prefer the text be done first, but I can start working on the program... I think I'll use the magical AutoHotkey_L[/ul]

Upon visiting the linked site, I still have no idea what you have in mind for animation, nimda, but I will take your word for it that you have something in stored. It would be best, of course, to wait till the final draft is completed.

~Bruno~

PS: All French words/phrases used in English posts should be followed with (i4t) so that theymos can easily find them via a search on this forum (or via Google +Bitcoin).

e.g.: Ah, et je parlais un peu de francais aussi. (i4t)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 07:15:45 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2012, 03:34:30 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

(quoting myself to get this post above the fold)

Semantically speaking, worrying about verbiage late, does the following work for the forth line? (resolving the semantics one-line-at-a-time)

from...

Would the above now work for the forth line, thus having everything up to the semicolon semantically correct?

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with impellent drive of abounding alacrity, appeared to disrupt the epoch of fiat currency;

~Bruno~
LoupGaroux

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 08:19:06 PM

Just for teh record... semantically speaking:

“Teh” is an Internet slang term derived from the common typographical error of the English definite article “the.” The word has been since embraced by English-speaking internet users as a stylistic preference in l33tspeak, similar to the usage of “1” as a suffix after an exclamation point. In addition, the slang term can be used ironically to pose oneself as a noob or mock someone’s lack of online communication skills.

While the typographical error “teh” most likely became commonplace with the advents of personal computers and QWERTY keyboards, its deliberate usage is thought to have started in the late 1990s to early 2000s with real-time chat in online gaming. The earliest Urban Dictionary definition of “teh,” submitted on November 23rd, 2002, also explains the phenomenon as a “deliberate typo error of ‘the’ used in online gaming discussion.” As of May 2012, Urban Dictionary lists a total of 63 entries defining the meaning and usage of “teh.”

In 2004, Metafilter user bshort posted a question in the AskMeFi (Ask Metafilter) subforum about the meaning of “teh,” which led to a discussion regarding the early adaptors of the term. In the thread, at least three users pointed to Something Awful’s columnist and video game specialist JeffK, who became infamous for his complete disregard and ineptitude in proper grammar and spelling. Beginning in the mid-2000s, intentional use of “teh” became even more widespread with the rise of LOLcat image macros on 4chan.

In online publications, the slang term has been used as the headline in a number of blog posts and discussion threads, some of the more notable references including a 2008 Jezebel article titled “Josh Peck is Teh Hotness in the Wackness” and a 2010 Media Bistro article titled “Hollywood is Teh Suck for Women.” The intentional error may be also invoked when citing an overused quote or axiom, as to neutralize any unwanted connotation of loftiness or pompousness by using faulty grammar.

The word has been also adopted by developers and programmers as the name of software projects. The most notable example is TEH, a minimalist blog engine written using Google App Engine. TEH Engine is a prototype 3D game engine, with TEH being a recursive acronym for “TEH Extremely Hardcore.”

In l33tspeak, the word “teh” is used as an intensifier for English nouns and adjectives with an underlying implication that the typographical mistake had been produced as a result of excitement.

When “teh” is placed before an adjective, it is used as an intensifier for its superlative form; for example, “that is teh lame” can be interpreted as “that is the lamest” in conventional English. This is also comparable to the use of the definite article el in Spanish language, according to the Wiktionary article.

The article can be also used with proper names to put extra emphasis on a particular subject or for humorous effect, as in “teh John.” A number of equivalents to “teh” have been cited as similar examples in cross-comparison of different languages like Greek, Latin and colloquial German.

In addition, “teh” can be used in front of a verb in a novel form of gerund, turning nearly any word into an intensified noun in its superlative form; for example, the phrase “this is teh suck” can be read as “this is the suckiest” or “this is the worst.”
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 08:43:19 PM

Mais pourquois il n'y a pas le mot "lse" en francais? (i4t)
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 08:43:53 PM

My occasional use of "teh" has usually been as a gerund, usually expressed as "is teh sux, bro". Limited mainly to IRC conversation.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 09:09:27 PM

Just for teh record... semantically speaking:

“Teh” is an Internet slang term derived from the common typographical error of the English definite article “the.” The word has been since embraced by English-speaking internet users as a stylistic preference in l33tspeak, similar to the usage of “1” as a suffix after an exclamation point. In addition, the slang term can be used ironically to pose oneself as a noob or mock someone’s lack of online communication skills.

While the typographical error “teh” most likely became commonplace with the advents of personal computers and QWERTY keyboards, its deliberate usage is thought to have started in the late 1990s to early 2000s with real-time chat in online gaming. The earliest Urban Dictionary definition of “teh,” submitted on November 23rd, 2002, also explains the phenomenon as a “deliberate typo error of ‘the’ used in online gaming discussion.” As of May 2012, Urban Dictionary lists a total of 63 entries defining the meaning and usage of “teh.”

In 2004, Metafilter user bshort posted a question in the AskMeFi (Ask Metafilter) subforum about the meaning of “teh,” which led to a discussion regarding the early adaptors of the term. In the thread, at least three users pointed to Something Awful’s columnist and video game specialist JeffK, who became infamous for his complete disregard and ineptitude in proper grammar and spelling. Beginning in the mid-2000s, intentional use of “teh” became even more widespread with the rise of LOLcat image macros on 4chan.

In online publications, the slang term has been used as the headline in a number of blog posts and discussion threads, some of the more notable references including a 2008 Jezebel article titled “Josh Peck is Teh Hotness in the Wackness” and a 2010 Media Bistro article titled “Hollywood is Teh Suck for Women.” The intentional error may be also invoked when citing an overused quote or axiom, as to neutralize any unwanted connotation of loftiness or pompousness by using faulty grammar.

The word has been also adopted by developers and programmers as the name of software projects. The most notable example is TEH, a minimalist blog engine written using Google App Engine. TEH Engine is a prototype 3D game engine, with TEH being a recursive acronym for “TEH Extremely Hardcore.”

In l33tspeak, the word “teh” is used as an intensifier for English nouns and adjectives with an underlying implication that the typographical mistake had been produced as a result of excitement.

When “teh” is placed before an adjective, it is used as an intensifier for its superlative form; for example, “that is teh lame” can be interpreted as “that is the lamest” in conventional English. This is also comparable to the use of the definite article el in Spanish language, according to the Wiktionary article.

The article can be also used with proper names to put extra emphasis on a particular subject or for humorous effect, as in “teh John.” A number of equivalents to “teh” have been cited as similar examples in cross-comparison of different languages like Greek, Latin and colloquial German.

In addition, “teh” can be used in front of a verb in a novel form of gerund, turning nearly any word into an intensified noun in its superlative form; for example, the phrase “this is teh suck” can be read as “this is the suckiest” or “this is the worst.”

Read the first paragraph so far, and think I've been pawned. I guess that explains why I've seen "teh" so often. Back to reading the rest of your post. (have I ever mention to you that I like reading your posts?)

~Bruno~
LoupGaroux

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 09:51:31 PM

Oh noes, goes 2fer... teh pwnage on pawned!
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2012, 03:35:35 AM

(quoting myself to get this post above the fold)

from...

Would the above now work for the forth line, thus having everything up to the semicolon semantically correct?

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with impellent drive of abounding alacrity, appeared to disrupt the epoch of fiat currency;

~Bruno~

Re-quoting myself so that I can move on to the fifth line.

I'm seeking approval.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2012, 03:35:19 PM

Ça me plaît. (i4t)

~Bruno~

I am serious, but you sound too excited. It wouldn't be fancy, with Blender'd 3D graphics, it would just be antialiased text in a pre-determined font changing word-by-word. I'd be using GDI+ and various other aspects of the WinAPI.

Ah, et je parlais un peu de francais aussi.

Can you set the animated text to music? I'm leaning toward this 1815 song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYjBNIl2fe4

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 11:25:16 AM

Reality Check:

Line 4
Line 5
Line 6

-Jesse

That thought has somewhat occurred to me, hence the "Reality Check". You're valuable contribution, JesseChisholm, is duly noted. I'm going to be out of pocket for a few hours, but when I return this evening, I'm going to work on this further, for your valid points do need addressing.

~Bruno~

I guess Line 5 is a simple fix, as well.

and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world

to

and had endured untold years in a fiat currency world

now revising all to... (sans Line 6)

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with impellent drive of abounding alacrity, appeared to disrupt the status quo; and had endured untold years in a fiat currency world

Line 6 stills needs to be addressed

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 12:25:09 PM
Last edit: July 01, 2012, 05:02:51 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with impellent drive of abounding alacrity, appeared to disrupt the status quo; and had endured untold years in a unitarily-commissioned global currency world with humanity...

Reality Check:

Line 4
Line 5
Line 6

-Jesse

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2012, 05:28:28 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto, notably anonymous, innovative, and enigmatically shy, with impellent drive of abounding alacrity, appeared to disrupt the status quo; and had endured untold years in a unitarily-commissioned global currency world with ...?... surrounding him.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: