Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:45:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What would the best way to profit from 19 workstations be? (PCIe,ASIC or FPGA?)  (Read 3514 times)
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 12:51:15 AM

Wow, $90 for that? Wouldn't you be better off picking up a decent 850W PS on sale than running that in one of your drive bays?

I'll bet you would be hard pressed to find a PSU for that old of a PC that has the correct 24 pin mobo connector or enough wattage.An aftermarket PSU dosen't just plug & play when they are IBM,Dell,Compaq,etc,in most instances  Sad
Uh, yeah they do.  Most good PSU's have the last 4 pins of a 24-pin disconnectable, to be compatible with any of the older motherboards as well as the newer ones.
Surprisingly often, old Dells had a completely rearranged connector pinouts, even though the connector fit. Swapping a non-dell PSU would fry the board.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 02:00:12 AM

Wow, $90 for that? Wouldn't you be better off picking up a decent 850W PS on sale than running that in one of your drive bays?

I'll bet you would be hard pressed to find a PSU for that old of a PC that has the correct 24 pin mobo connector or enough wattage.An aftermarket PSU dosen't just plug & play when they are IBM,Dell,Compaq,etc,in most instances  Sad
Uh, yeah they do.  Most good PSU's have the last 4 pins of a 24-pin disconnectable, to be compatible with any of the older motherboards as well as the newer ones.
Surprisingly often, old Dells had a completely rearranged connector pinouts, even though the connector fit. Swapping a non-dell PSU would fry the board.

^^^ This. Never underestimate a manufacturer's obsession for proprietary components.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 02:05:08 AM

True, but these are Core2Duo based. They can't be more than 6 years old.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 06:48:56 AM

^^^ This. Never underestimate a manufacturer's obsession for proprietary components.

I meant 20 pin connector  Embarrassed

Yepper,I did my homework years ago trying to help folks upgrade thier PC's over Teamspeak.You have to be very careful what you say can work.If I goof it could cost someone a PC (namely me  Shocked ).

http://pinouts.ru/pin_Power.shtml

http://pinouts.ru/Power/dell_atxpower_pinout.shtml

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 06:43:38 PM

I meant 20 pin connector  Embarrassed

Yepper,I did my homework years ago trying to help folks upgrade thier PC's over Teamspeak.You have to be very careful what you say can work.If I goof it could cost someone a PC (namely me  Shocked ).

http://pinouts.ru/pin_Power.shtml

http://pinouts.ru/Power/dell_atxpower_pinout.shtml

I remember cutting a splicing an ATX PSU to work in an old Apple G4 Sawtooth. Fun times...

Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 09:32:05 PM

Not ideal at all as already been said.
They would not be efficient for GPU's and only need one to be hooked up to some FPGA's or when ASIC come around. But you got 19 of them.
Could be they be used for mining? No, but depends if you've got any interest in being a server admin...

If you really want to make use of them, clean them up and make sure they have at least 2Gb of ram and half decent amount of Hard drive space.
Install Linux on a few and market it, get them ready as you get demand. You could probably start a small dedicated server farm, for webspace.

Hardware might be old, but it be powerful enough if you just rent each one out to one person, to use as they want.
Configured right each one could handle being a webserver, considering it be a dedicated server.
Give them some cost efficient upgrades and I'm sure some income could be made on them.

For the right price I'm sure their would be some that would do it, could even accept bitcoins as payment Smiley

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 04:34:49 AM

Not ideal at all as already been said.
They would not be efficient for GPU's and only need one to be hooked up to some FPGA's or when ASIC come around. But you got 19 of them.
Could be they be used for mining? No, but depends if you've got any interest in being a server admin...

If you really want to make use of them, clean them up and make sure they have at least 2Gb of ram and half decent amount of Hard drive space.
Install Linux on a few and market it, get them ready as you get demand. You could probably start a small dedicated server farm, for webspace.

Hardware might be old, but it be powerful enough if you just rent each one out to one person, to use as they want.
Configured right each one could handle being a webserver, considering it be a dedicated server.
Give them some cost efficient upgrades and I'm sure some income could be made on them.

For the right price I'm sure their would be some that would do it, could even accept bitcoins as payment Smiley

Having managed virtual servers, webservers, and the like, I'd say it's not worth it. This is literally a TON of extra time/headaches, just to make more $ with them several months down the road.

Just sell them.

Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2012, 07:13:48 AM

Having managed virtual servers, webservers, and the like, I'd say it's not worth it. This is literally a TON of extra time/headaches, just to make more $ with them several months down the road.

Just sell them.

Managed servers are a lot of work yes, but I didn't try to explain managed servers, most definitely more like un-managed servers.
These would be setup to be entirely managed by those renting them, no hand holding. Very little extra work unless their is actually a hardware problem.

It's an idea, an option. Selling them certainly would provide a quick buck right now, no doubt.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 07:19:20 AM

and throw fucking flames out the PSU as I've experienced. FUCK DELL!

OP, mine litecoin and exchange for BTC on btc-e.com? (not sure if viable, but certainly an option)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
GernMiester

Activity: 285

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 08:51:17 PM

Now you have 19 pieces of crap to get rid of and the company doesn't have to deal with the e-waste.
You could sell them to someone who wants an old junker to mess with or wants to play with a linux box.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: