Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 07:26:15 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to store your Bitcoin in a safe way? -> HARDWARE WALLETS!  (Read 3340 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2014, 10:43:53 PM
Last edit: December 21, 2014, 01:46:24 PM by LiteCoinGuy

OVERVIEW: BITCOIN HARDWARE WALLETS - Secure your Coins

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=899253.0

karlb187

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Need To Contact Me? Go To My Site!

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2014, 11:17:02 PM

on your computer in the core wallet and backed up on a flash drive, in a case, in your safe.  Wink

Bitcoin Faucet List Maker      Makes Your Bitcoin Commissions Explode!   (100% FREE)
   Paid to Post Bitcoin Forum      Earn Up To 3,000 Satoshi Per Post!  
 ▥ SKYPE: karl.moneyinpjs ▥ ▦ TWITTER: @karlmoneyinpjs
wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 11:20:05 PM

There is no need for all those. Use a paper wallet and it will remain safe.

koshgel
Legendary

Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 01:44:22 AM

Paper wallet is a good solution.

Coinbase makes it easy to create one.
feryjhie

Activity: 882
Merit: 595

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 01:52:20 AM

for me i just move the wallet dat to my usb Cheesy
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 01:52:38 AM

It is hard to beat a paper wallet that is secured in something trusted as a security deposit box.

This was a interesting device and price is not as high as some alternatives.   It will take a while of testing before I would trust it with much.    
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 06:09:59 AM

It is hard to beat a paper wallet that is secured in something trusted as a security deposit box.

This was a interesting device and price is not as high as some alternatives.   It will take a while of testing before I would trust it with much.   

It is similar to BTChip and BTChip has partnered with them to make Ledger wallet. BTChip has good reputation and is good to use. So, IMHO it is okay using ledger wallet. Smiley

~~MZ~~

picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 07:48:54 AM

How to store your Bitcoin in a safe way?

A cheap and sercure way:

The team behind a new affordable multisig bitcoin wallet say their product has security features that make it almost immune to hacking attacks.

http://www.coindesk.com/ledger-launches-usb-bitcoin-wallet-bank-grade-security/

Good. You can store in a Brain or Paper wallet too Wink Simple and cheap.
wadili89
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 07:52:19 AM

This was a interesting device and price is not as high as some alternatives.   It will take a while of testing before I would trust it with much.    

One common mistake is keeping the electronic copy of it. It should be deleted as it defeats the purpose of the paper wallet.

LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 07:54:24 AM

i my view we must have these cheap devices which are easy to use and made for the mass market. normal people dont use a paper wallet. and notice: when your PC is compromsied and you generate a paper wallet, your BTC is gone.

ikydesu

Activity: 686

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 09:02:15 AM

Do not store wallet.dat on dropbox or any online service

Yes, this is dengerous.
store on flash drive specifically for your wallet.dat only Wink
newflesh

Activity: 630

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 10:09:12 AM

i my view we must have these cheap devices which are easy to use and made for the mass market. normal people dont use a paper wallet. and notice: when your PC is compromsied and you generate a paper wallet, your BTC is gone.

Exactly, securing bitcoins needs to be as simple as sticking a usb device into a computer. Most people wont want to go through the hassle of learning how to make paper wallets, the process needs to be drastically simplified.
yrask

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 10:16:27 AM

Cold storage is the way. Use paper wallet and you can be sure that bitcoin can not be stolen.

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 11:23:52 AM

Cold storage is the way. Use paper wallet and you can be sure that bitcoin can not be stolen.

How can you be so sure? What if the paper wallet is stolen? What if it is damaged? Almost nothing is sure, they're just assumptions. if you want to make an extra layer of security, encrypt the qr-code. Smiley

~~MZ~~

picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 11:36:59 AM

How can you be so sure? What if the paper wallet is stolen? What if it is damaged? Almost nothing is sure, they're just assumptions. if you want to make an extra layer of security, encrypt the qr-code. Smiley

~~MZ~~

You cannot be sure but you are secure if you encrypt the wallet (don't forget the password!), you make a copy, you store them securely and you print the wallets on a plastic paper.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1353

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 11:48:38 AM

Safest way so far: make a paper wallet, print multiple copies, laminate one of those copies, store in a safe place, then poof! Your btc is now safe. Smiley
No need for any hassles or anything, but if you want that extra effort, then do some of those time-consuming yet safe methods. Cheesy
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 11:56:32 AM

You cannot be sure but you are secure if you encrypt the wallet (don't forget the password!), you make a copy, you store them securely and you print the wallets on a plastic paper.

Roll Eyes . True. Smiley

Safest way so far: make a paper wallet, print multiple copies, laminate one of those copies, store in a safe place, then poof! Your btc is now safe. Smiley
No need for any hassles or anything, but if you want that extra effort, then do some of those time-consuming yet safe methods. Cheesy

Just want to tell, making copies of same paper wallet is actually not a good idea as if one is stolen, everything goes. It is better if you make multiple paper wallets. Roll Eyes

~~MZ~~

wadili89
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 12:37:22 PM

Just want to tell, making copies of same paper wallet is actually not a good idea as if one is stolen, everything goes. It is better if you make multiple paper wallets. Roll Eyes

~~MZ~~

I am confused, multiple paper wallets of the same wallet? You mean break it down into smaller wallets and make one paper wallet but not copies for each?

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 01:19:19 PM

I am confused, multiple paper wallets of the same wallet? You mean break it down into smaller wallets and make one paper wallet but not copies for each?

Yes, split the Bitcoins to a few paper wallets and then keep it somewhere safe. Making many copies is good only if you are sure that no persons who will steal it see it. Splitting bitcoins would be good as if one is gone, we can get the remaining ones.

~~MZ~~

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 01:50:50 PM

for me i just move the wallet dat to my usb Cheesy

ditto

i don't need an expensive usb, when i can get a cheap one and "put" my btc there easily, my wallet trap can tell me easy if my pc is infected thus, attaching any usb would result in a safe move
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: