Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:01:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to store your Bitcoin in a safe way? -> HARDWARE WALLETS!  (Read 3340 times)
edward_cullen

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 02:06:39 PM

Mutliple back ups encrypted with your gpg keys and versions encrypted several of your friends gpg keys.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 02:24:01 PM

Mutliple back ups encrypted with your gpg keys and versions encrypted several of your friends gpg keys.

Then you would have to back-up your PGP secret key. Roll Eyes If your PGP lost due to formatting of computer or data corruption, your BTC will be lost. It is better to encrypt the qr-code with password than PGP encryption. Smiley

~~MZ~~

hyphymikey

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 07:26:09 PM

Trezor. And I love it.
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2014, 05:35:18 AM

use multi sig on a Linux laptop or paper wallets. safe bet.

picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 07:31:34 AM

Then you would have to back-up your PGP secret key. Roll Eyes If your PGP lost due to formatting of computer or data corruption, your BTC will be lost. It is better to encrypt the qr-code with password than PGP encryption. Smiley

~~MZ~~

I prefer the option of having a password too. You need to have a password never used elsewhere, with a high level of entropy but that you will remember Tongue
Coef

Activity: 882

Exhausted

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 12:05:38 PM

These hardware wallets are still not cheap enough IMO to compete with paper wallet. Yes, they are easier to use but the price is still a bit too high to hit the mass market.

CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 12:20:27 PM

for me i just move the wallet dat to my usb Cheesy

You should have cds, dvds, USB sticks, sd cards, paper wallets, cloud storage, email attachments and any other way you can think off

Never just have 1 backup of your btc wallet

Everything can fail over time so the more copies of it you hand the better if you have a non trivial amount of btc

sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 01:00:34 PM

A quote from the article:

To allow the wallet to be restored in the event of loss or theft of the device, a mnemonic seed for a master key is randomly generated when the device is initialised, which must be written on a paper backup and stored safely.

How is this better than a paper wallet?
Coef

Exhausted

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 01:30:57 PM

To allow the wallet to be restored in the event of loss or theft of the device, a mnemonic seed for a master key is randomly generated when the device is initialised, which must be written on a paper backup and stored safely.

A hardware wallet isn't better than a paper wallet in that aspect.
With a hardware wallet, you can bring it with you, plug it in a public or even a compromised computer to spend your bitcoin safely.

picolo

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 02:29:20 PM

With a hardware wallet, you can bring it with you, plug it in a public or even a compromised computer to spend your bitcoin safely.

You can spend the paper wallet in a second with the qr code.
Coef

Exhausted

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 02:37:53 PM

If you are using a compromised computer, your bitcoin will be gone the second you imported the private key in your paper wallet.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2014, 03:40:02 PM

If you are using a compromised computer, your bitcoin will be gone the second you imported the private key in your paper wallet.

With mycelium, it is more secure to spend from a paper wallet. You scan qr-code, it finds unspent bitcoins instantly and you can create a TX and push it. It will wipe everything related to that address after pushing.

~~MZ~~

BITMIXER.IO

Activity: 261
Merit: 265

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 05:02:39 PM

I recommend Armory wallet with fragmented paper backup. You may distribute several fragments between your friends or family.
picolo

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 05:14:30 PM

As long as your BTC are on the paper wallet you are safe then you can use a non compromised computer to spend them.
samuelseidel

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 08:15:03 PM

It isn't securest way to keep your bitcoins, but maybe cheap and secure.

I think that paper wallet is better for small amounts, and for bigger amounts you should buy and use Bitcoin Trezor.
picolo

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 11:05:57 PM

I think that paper wallet is better for small amounts, and for bigger amounts you should buy and use Bitcoin Trezor.

If you do things correctly a paper wallet is very safe for large amounts too.
tegli4a

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 01:04:59 AM

+1

Paper wallet is secure and cheap, just you have do it as it has to be
shadowmoon

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

ActionCrypto.com ★ Bitcoin Binary Options

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:57:35 AM

Use Paper wallet

Free and Secure  Wink

Simon8x

Activity: 568

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:16:29 PM

If you do things correctly a paper wallet is very safe for large amounts too.

Exactly. If you create your paper wallet correctly (no internet, fresh OS, use open-source tested script, provide enough entropy with mouse movement, remove everything afterwards) then your bitcoin in it is very safe.

elliwilli

Activity: 307
Merit: 250

et rich or die tryi

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2014, 06:58:34 PM

That's pretty cool.
For now im sticking to a offline wallet stored on a flash drive in a firesafe.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: