Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:41:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: iOS Bread Wallet  (Read 30985 times)
BLKMined (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 04:55:53 AM

So I got my hands on the new iPhone 6 Plus and have had it for a month now(best phone 4rm my experience by the way). I was excited of hearing of this new BTCitcoin wallet along with other features.  I used the wallet five times - the 1st time I was able to add money to my Bread wallet via my Coinbase account and then was able to send money to a friend for testing purposes.  I was even able to send money to my Bread Wallet again via Coinbase but since, been experiencing sending issues.
4instance! I try to send BTC back into my Coinbase acc. via Bread Wallet and not 0nce but twice! it came right back to my Bread Wallet.  It shows BTC being sent and it displays the process of confirmations being observed then after awhile it display's '0' confirmations and the money 0r BTC ends up being right back into the Bread Wallet.  I even tried sending to a trading platform where I plan to do most of my trades - https://www.bitfinex.com/ Anyone else going through this with the new "Apple" Bitcoin Bread Wallet and who should I contact, Apple, Bitcoin Foundation, etc...?
I need my money sent out of my Bread Wallet Asap so hopefully someone out there has the solution, Peace!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 05:24:12 AM

You need to contact the guys who made the app - NOT Apple, and NOT the Bitcoin Foundation!

app.breadwallet.com

I haven't used bread wallet - I didn't like the fact that they don't use the normal Bitcoin symbol and lingo, but I'm guessing you can back up your wallet by doing the backup phrase. Then try deleting the wallet from your iPhone, reinstalling it, restore the wallet by using the backup phrase, and then try to spend again. Be sure to back up the wallet before deleting it, or your bitcoins will be lost forever!!
BLKMined (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 05:56:27 AM

You need to contact the guys who made the app - NOT Apple, and NOT the Bitcoin Foundation!

app.breadwallet.com

I haven't used bread wallet - I didn't like the fact that they don't use the normal Bitcoin symbol and lingo, but I'm guessing you can back up your wallet by doing the backup phrase. Then try deleting the wallet from your iPhone, reinstalling it, restore the wallet by using the backup phrase, and then try to spend again. Be sure to back up the wallet before deleting it, or your bitcoins will be lost forever!!

Thx 4tha timely response fryarminer! Yes I am quite familiar with the back-up phrase so, what will be the point of backing up wallet if have back-up phrase?  If phone is lost, stolen 0r brakes - the back up phrase will obtain everything back the way it was(supposedly) on device(apple products) of choice.  How would I back it up by the way anyway if I just wanted to make sure?  You mean back up to another device 1st(smart, yes). Which by the way I don't have any other "Apple" devices as this is my very 1st one.

And I wonder why I couldn't find that link > app.breadwallet.com while surfing on the breadwallet site, hummm!  and by the way, it's a great wallet!

Thank-You!
BLKMined (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 05:59:04 AM

When I said how do I back up that was just me being extremely tired as I know how to back-up digital belongings.  I had a long day, give me a break lol
BLKMined (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 06:05:03 AM

See how tired I am! I thought I was given a support link so that can contact Bread Wallet makers but this is just the actual website - app.breadwallet.com I haven't yet found any contact info.  I will continue to look...
BLKMined (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 06:15:37 AM

So I found out where I could receive support - https://itunes.apple.com/app/breadwallet/id885251393 - And I also came to find that someone had or is having the same issues as me as he/she wrote "The app was working great until a few days ago. Now the majority of my payments never complete. I have only made 1 successful payment out of the last 10. Maybe it is a bug from the IOS 8.0.2 update. I have a a concerning amount of BTC stuck in this wallet so hopefully it gets fixed soon. When the bug is fixed I will probably bump my rating up to 5(stars).

I will try to contact them and hopefully this problem does get resolved ASAP!

There is a new update release for iOS 8.1.2 - I will update phone then try out Bread Wallet once again and if that doesn't work, I will then try to back-up and delete/restore...
voisine

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 08:17:26 AM

I am the author of breadwallet. Try the "rescan blockchain" option in settings if you are having trouble sending. The next update will detect the problem and recommend a rescan, in addition to some minor bug fixes that will make it less likely to get into that situation to begin with.
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 05:09:31 PM

Hey Aaron, you're doing an awesome job with Breadwallet. It's hands down the best iOS wallet currently available, and I always recommend it to all iPhone/iPad owners.

I'm one of the organizers of Arnhem Bitcoincity and developer of our payment processor and point-of-sale solution BitKassa, so we're reaching quite some potential users. Apps like Breadwallet really help a lot in making Bitcoin more accessible for the Average Joe, and getting Bitcoin to turn mainstream!

Now, I do I have some suggestions I'd like to share:

1. Allow entering amount when receiving BTC
When receiving or requesting bitcoins, Breadwallet can only show a QR or copy/paste the address. What's missing here, is the option to specify an amount (in either euros or dollars or bit(coin)s). This allows people to show a QR that anyone can scan and pay immediately, without the hassle of mentioning or specifying the amount separately, and the other person having to enter that manually (with risk of typos, currency rate differences, etc)

2. Lower the fee
Any chance you can lower the default tx fee to 0.00001 BTC per 1000 bytes? This has actually been the default fee setting in Bitcoin Core already since v0.9. And the very commonly used Android Bitcoin Wallet by Andreas Schildbach has been using this fee setting as well for quite some time, always works fine (just very rarely, a tx might take two or three blocks to confirm, but never leads to any problems whatsoever).
The thing is, here in Europe, bank transfers are free. So when comparing Bitcoin to old fashioned banking, the 0.0001 BTC tx fee (approximately 0.03 euros) may actually seem quite expensive in comparison. Especially for microtransactions (e.g. a €1 donation) a 3% fee is relatively expensive. It would make a better case for Bitcoin usage if you apply the new default fee in Breadwallet too.

3. Better estimate for fiat/btc rates
What is your live euro↔bitcoin rate based on? In our payment processor, we use a weighted average of all major exchanges (including Bitstamp, converting USD to EUR according to their own buy rate). Still, we often notice that the amount in fiat displayed by Breadwallet appears to be higher than what seems to be a fair average rate - thus giving users the false impression they're paying more (in euros) than they're supposed to. In order not to give users an over-optimistic estimate of their wallet's current EUR value, is there any chance you can use a more balanced average of various eur/btc converion rates?

4. Dealing with crippled WiFi
In order to push transactions, do you actually connect to Bitcoin nodes directly (i.e. you need port 8333 access for most nodes) or can Breadwallet also use a web stub that works through port 80? The problem is, we quite often experience problems with public WiFi networks that have been limited, e.g. only ports for http(s) and email being accessible. Or even worse, open WiFi networks (in stores or public places) that have no password, but require a one-time login page to accept terms before allowing full internet access. When this happens, people's phones appear to have internet access, but any http request will redirect them to a login page. Now when trying to send a Bitcoin payment it won't work, thus giving the false impression that Bitcoin is having problems, rather than their WiFi / internet connection being crippled.
It would be great if you can 1. push txs through port 80 as well (through external API sites, there's plenty available) and 2. perhaps check if Breadwallet has a working connection, and if not, warn the user "Your internet connection seems to be restricted, perhaps you need to login to your WiFi network?" This may avoid a lot of unnecessary confusion.

I hope this helps in improving BreadWallet. Keep up the good stuff man. Love your work!

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 04:01:12 PM

Hey Aaron, you're doing an awesome job with Breadwallet. It's hands down the best iOS wallet currently available, and I always recommend it to all iPhone/iPad owners.

I'm one of the organizers of Arnhem Bitcoincity and developer of our payment processor and point-of-sale solution BitKassa, so we're reaching quite some potential users. Apps like Breadwallet really help a lot in making Bitcoin more accessible for the Average Joe, and getting Bitcoin to turn mainstream!

Now, I do I have some suggestions I'd like to share:

When receiving or requesting bitcoins, Breadwallet can only show a QR or copy/paste the address. What's missing here, is the option to specify an amount (in either euros or dollars or bit(coin)s). This allows people to show a QR that anyone can scan and pay immediately, without the hassle of mentioning or specifying the amount separately, and the other person having to enter that manually (with risk of typos, currency rate differences, etc)

2. Lower the fee
Any chance you can lower the default tx fee to 0.00001 BTC per 1000 bytes? This has actually been the default fee setting in Bitcoin Core already since v0.9. And the very commonly used Android Bitcoin Wallet by Andreas Schildbach has been using this fee setting as well for quite some time, always works fine (just very rarely, a tx might take two or three blocks to confirm, but never leads to any problems whatsoever).
The thing is, here in Europe, bank transfers are free. So when comparing Bitcoin to old fashioned banking, the 0.0001 BTC tx fee (approximately 0.03 euros) may actually seem quite expensive in comparison. Especially for microtransactions (e.g. a €1 donation) a 3% fee is relatively expensive. It would make a better case for Bitcoin usage if you apply the new default fee in Breadwallet too.

What is your live euro↔bitcoin rate based on? In our payment processor, we use a weighted average of all major exchanges (including Bitstamp, converting USD to EUR according to their own buy rate). Still, we often notice that the amount in fiat displayed by Breadwallet appears to be higher than what seems to be a fair average rate - thus giving users the false impression they're paying more (in euros) than they're supposed to. In order not to give users an over-optimistic estimate of their wallet's current EUR value, is there any chance you can use a more balanced average of various eur/btc converion rates?

In order to push transactions, do you actually connect to Bitcoin nodes directly (i.e. you need port 8333 access for most nodes) or can Breadwallet also use a web stub that works through port 80? The problem is, we quite often experience problems with public WiFi networks that have been limited, e.g. only ports for http(s) and email being accessible. Or even worse, open WiFi networks (in stores or public places) that have no password, but require a one-time login page to accept terms before allowing full internet access. When this happens, people's phones appear to have internet access, but any http request will redirect them to a login page. Now when trying to send a Bitcoin payment it won't work, thus giving the false impression that Bitcoin is having problems, rather than their WiFi / internet connection being crippled.
It would be great if you can 1. push txs through port 80 as well (through external API sites, there's plenty available) and 2. perhaps check if Breadwallet has a working connection, and if not, warn the user "Your internet connection seems to be restricted, perhaps you need to login to your WiFi network?" This may avoid a lot of unnecessary confusion.

I hope this helps in improving BreadWallet. Keep up the good stuff man. Love your work!

With the exception of crippled WiFi... all those are on git right now.

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 06:43:55 PM

Does iOS not detect gated wifi networks already? Android pops up a notification when it spots one of these.

If you vend requests that use the payment protocol and Breadwallet supports it, then you should be able to receive transactions via HTTP(S) directly instead of via the p2p network.
voisine

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 06:48:38 AM

Sorry for not responding sooner. I need to check the forums more often.

This one is on the todo list, should be in the next update.

2. Lower the fee

This one is done, will be in the next update. Bitcoin isn't really designed for micro-transactions though, so don't go and create a business model that relies on that long term.

It just uses blockchain.info/ticker for now, but will use multiple exchange rate api's in future to protect against any one getting hacked or going down.

It will display "not connected" if the bitcoin network isn't reachable, and iOS will display a login dialog if it detects a wi-fi web login. Running some bitcoin nodes on port 80 is a cool idea. If you know of a DNS seed that lists port 80 bitcoin nodes, I would consider including it.
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 03:44:20 PM

Hey Aaron, cool to see your feedback here!

This one is done, will be in the next update. Bitcoin isn't really designed for micro-transactions though, so don't go and create a business model that relies on that long term.
How do you mean? In my experience, small transactions (e.g. sending only a few cents) with 0.00001 or even 0.000001 fees tend to get through just fine..? Even if they take a bit longer to confirm, but that doesn't matter in most cases.
Or did you mean, isn't designed for massive volumes of transactions? There are plenty ideas being considered and/or developed to deal with the blockchain size, I'm it will be resolved one way or another.
Anyway, it's great that lower fees will be available soon.

It just uses blockchain.info/ticker for now, but will use multiple exchange rate api's in future to protect against any one getting hacked or going down.
Painfully ontopic at the moment Wink

It will display "not connected" if the bitcoin network isn't reachable, and iOS will display a login dialog if it detects a wi-fi web login. Running some bitcoin nodes on port 80 is a cool idea. If you know of a DNS seed that lists port 80 bitcoin nodes, I would consider including it.
Hmm, yeah, that might be a cool idea as well. But I actually meant something different: rather than (or in addition to) communicating with actual nodes (i.e. sending actual bitcoin traffic), simply call some of the many available online APIs to push a tx to the network, requiring nothing but a simple HTTP call with the transaction (in hex) as a GET or POST parameter.

For example, call http://btc.blockr.io/api/v1/tx/push with POST parameter: hex=0100020304etc (that's the tx data in hex) and they will push the tx onto the network.
Many other online services like easybit.com, helloblock.io, chain.com, blockchain.info, blockcyhper.com, etc offer similar functionality.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Jake-R

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 04:57:16 AM

I am replacing the Bitcoin Core node I am hosting on my PC with a Bitnodes Hardware node (https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/hardware/) and I no longer want to run the core on my PC. Is breadwallet a viable option as my "only wallet"? Is it secure enough and robust enough? I am very impressed with it. I have been an iOS guy for a few years and don't plan to switch any time soon. Sorry for necro  Cool
voisine

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 05:22:23 AM

I am replacing the Bitcoin Core node I am hosting on my PC with a Bitnodes Hardware node (https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/hardware/) and I no longer want to run the core on my PC. Is breadwallet a viable option as my "only wallet"? Is it secure enough and robust enough? I am very impressed with it. I have been an iOS guy for a few years and don't plan to switch any time soon. Sorry for necro  Cool

I'll leave it up to others to comment, and just say that breadwallet is the most popular wallet in the app store after coinbase and blockchain.info, and we've had zero reports of lost funds except when someone doesn't write down their recovery phrase *and* manages to forget their passcode. (so far only with trivial amounts) iPhone is also the most secure of the popular computing platforms with it's locked down, signed code only, app sandboxed, keychain service, full filesystem hardware encryption be default architecture, which is why we chose it as the platform to start with.
voisine

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 05:26:09 AM

Painfully ontopic at the moment Wink

The current version is now using bitpay.com/rates which includes over a hundred different currencies. (apparently some of the latin american currencies even use the street "blue dollar" rate over the official rate)
Jake-R

Activity: 142

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 05:35:21 AM

I'll leave it up to others to comment, and just say that breadwallet is the most popular wallet in the app store after coinbase and blockchain.info, and we've had zero reports of lost funds except when someone doesn't write down their recovery phrase *and* manages to forget their passcode. (so far only with trivial amounts) iPhone is also the most secure of the popular computing platforms with it's locked down, signed code only, app sandboxed, keychain service, full filesystem hardware encryption be default architecture, which is why we chose it as the platform to start with.

Thank you. I know I can't "sign messages" with breadwallet and I could with the Core. But I think I will be ok. I have my passphrase written down and stored inside my fireproof safe at home and I have a copy stored inside my safe deposit box at my bank (with my other important papers). This is a really sweet app. Thank you!
wannesd

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 12:22:11 PM

The only thing that bothers me about breadwallet, is that I can't select to see the value in BTC, rather than bits.
Unless I've missed the option somewhere?
It actually bothers me so much that I keep going back to my old blockchain app instead, and that's the only reason.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2015, 12:33:48 PM

Hi Aaron,

Great work on Breadwallet !
We like it so much we have put it as our 'recommended for iOS' wallet:
https://beta.multibit.org/download.html

(that will be the new MultiBit website when it goes live).

I just wanted to point out that lowering fees to 1,000 satoshi / KB can cause problems to users.
When the network is busy (Like on Friday nights now) you can get bumped for several blocks as you are the least beautiful tx for the miners to pick up.

For MultiBit HD we give users the range to select from 1,000 to 10,000 satoshi / KB with a default of 3000.
That seems to get into the next block pretty reliably (at the moment).

Jim

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
voisine

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 04:56:15 PM

The only thing that bothers me about breadwallet, is that I can't select to see the value in BTC, rather than bits.
Unless I've missed the option somewhere?
It actually bothers me so much that I keep going back to my old blockchain app instead, and that's the only reason.

We know this is annoying for long time bitcoiners, no body likes change, but we think it's important for the community to switch together to the new standard. Our goal is to increase bitcoin adoption among the 99.99% of people who haven't adopted it yet, and they're much more comfortable with two decimal place denominations. If the existing bitcoiners don't switch, they'll confuse newcomers and hurt adoption. Bits will also work forever even after bitcoin replaces every currency on the planet.
voisine

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 05:03:54 PM

(that will be the new MultiBit website when it goes live).

I just wanted to point out that lowering fees to 1,000 satoshi / KB can cause problems to users.

Thanks much, we appreciate it!

The current version more than doubles those fees, and the next update will be pulling fee rates from an api (with a range restriction in the event the api is compromised)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: