Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:19:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-06-22 forbes.com - The Bitcoin Richest: Accumulating Large Balances  (Read 2539 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 11:22:09 PM

The Bitcoin Richest: Accumulating Large Balances

Jon Matonis
2012-06-22

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/06/22/the-bitcoin-richest-accumulating-large-balances/

What can we learn from this list? First, it demonstrates that a broad group of people are comfortable enough with the bitcoin crypto to exit the traditional banking system and leave significant value on the blockchain for extended periods.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
austonst

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 12:35:17 AM

Forbes seems to do a good job of not reposting the same Bitcoin story that everyone's already posted a hundred times over. It's a nice, positive article that approaches the topic from a bit of a different viewpoint.

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 12:44:24 AM

Forbes seems to do a good job of not reposting the same Bitcoin story that everyone's already posted a hundred times over. It's a nice, positive article that approaches the topic from a bit of a different viewpoint.

Thanks to Jon Matonis!

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:38:24 AM

Thanks to Jon Matonis!

Doesn't it strike anyone odd that this little crypto currency experiment (currently valued, in sum, at less than $60 million USD) is getting so much attention from this one media publisher (especially when compared to how little any others cover it?)

It is almost like ... Forbes wants to have it publicly known that they (and they alone among their peers) had the foresight to recognize Bitcoin as being "a big deal" and as a result gave it more than its share of real estate in their online and print publications?

Before the global financial crisis started in 2007 certain people like Meredith Whitney, Nicholas Taleb, and Nouriel Roubini wrote not just on the troubled future they saw but on paths that would either protect or bring profit when the crisis took shape.  The publishers that featured their work gained credibility once it became evident how spot-on they were.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:54:55 AM

Doesn't it strike anyone odd that this little crypto currency experiment (currently valued, in sum, at less than $60 million USD) is getting so much attention from this one media publisher (especially when compared to how little any others cover it?)

It is almost like ... Forbes wants to have it publicly known that they (and they alone among their peers) had the foresight to recognize Bitcoin as being "a big deal" and as a result gave it more than its share of real estate in their online and print publications?

I agree its odd, but I also agree that its insightful of Forbes. I think there are a few traders who are going to make an absolute killing on bitcoin. I hope there will also be many comparatively lower-net-worth people that are able to maintain and increase their wealth through participation in the bitcoin economy.

-bgc

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 07:58:03 PM

Thanks to Jon Matonis!

Before the global financial crisis started in 2007 certain people like Meredith Whitney, Nicholas Taleb, and Nouriel Roubini wrote not just on the troubled future they saw but on paths that would either protect or bring profit when the crisis took shape.  The publishers that featured their work gained credibility once it became evident how spot-on they were.

Either this, or they dont really care and have confidence in Matonis' gut felling on what readers like to read, so they basically let him write whatever tickles his fancy as long as they get their pages filled with content.

Just say'n
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 08:06:10 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 09:47:50 PM by psy

Either this, or they dont really care and have confidence in Matonis' gut felling on what readers like to read, so they basically let him write whatever tickles his fancy as long as they get their pages filled with content.

Just say'n

Even if that is indeed the reason, we must praise Forbes the same way. It's refreshing to see a publication who doesn't put a gag on writers because of political or other biases and/or influences.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 08:17:52 PM

Hmm. Does Mantonis have a known forum handle? Pro-BTC bias aside, his writing style is very engaging.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 08:20:46 PM

Hmm. Does Mantonis have a known forum handle? Pro-BTC bias aside, his writing style is very engaging.

matonis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1986
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 08:25:31 PM

matonis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1986
Thanks.
nimnul

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 08:05:17 AM

the total bitcoin market capitalization [is] at approximately $60 million
It's amazing how this multiplication of best available price by order book size persist. How did he get the 60M figure?

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 08:29:59 AM

the total bitcoin market capitalization [is] at approximately $60 million
It's amazing how this multiplication of best available price by order book size persist. How did he get the 60M figure?

Market capitalisation is calculated by multiplying the current trade price by the total number of shares that have been distributed. It is by no means an accurate representation of the total value of a particular market, but it's the best we've got.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
nimnul

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 09:18:03 AM

The definition only says "it is equal to the share price times the number of shares outstanding". I was only laughing at how coins hoarded by miners are considered outstanding shares and how last trade price is considered share price. Is there any better place to discuss this as it doesn't related to this particular news post.

MaxSan

Activity: 369

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 09:31:02 AM

$60m could buy all of bitcoin though, I doubt it would even purchase 35% by time the ask price would shoot waay up.
nimnul

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 10:02:16 AM

800k is enough to close all current orders on USD and EUR exchanges

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 10:34:32 AM

There seems to be some confusion of the meaning of the term market capitisation as it applies to Bitcoin. It means exactly the same thing as it does in any other market. In particular, it does not represent the amount of money needed to "buy out" the entire market, which is impossible to measure by any means.

The definition only says "it is equal to the share price times the number of shares outstanding". I was only laughing at how coins hoarded by miners are considered outstanding shares and how last trade price is considered share price. Is there any better place to discuss this as it doesn't related to this particular news post.
I don't think the term outstanding shares means what you think it does. Outstanding shares are shares which have been acquired by, and are currently owned by, members of the public, as opposed to the issuer. Outstanding shares are not limited to those which are actively being traded, they also include those which are being hoarded and those which have been lost (since the owner of lost shares could (theoretically) find them again). In the case of Bitcoin, outstanding shares are all the bitcoins that have ever been mined (currently a little over 9 million) out of the 21 million bitcoins "issued". There's nothing more to it than that. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further, but I really don't see how there's anything further to discuss. Market capitalisation is a simple concept, perhaps too simple, since people seem to want to draw some kind of deeper meaning from it that just doesn't exist.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 11:05:44 AM

For something like Bitcoin there is no "buy out" price. It's infinite. I for one would save some amount of bitcoins regardless of how high the price shot up, they're simply not for sale. Buying everything from the exchanges right now is like buying a grain of sand from the beach. It does nothing in regards to "buying out" the entire market.

The market cap is pretty much the best indicator of Bitcoin usage. It illustrates the fact that even staying at a certain price level means growth for Bitcoin at this stage. Long term, excluding the mega bubble, the market cap is on a huge growth trend.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 04:38:19 AM

To get slightly back on topic, I highly recommend Matonis' tweets.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 09:58:59 PM

Or ... they just like bloggers on the edge who drive traffic:
 - http://www.forbes.com/sites/lewisdvorkin/2011/07/18/disruptive-change-creates-noise-heres-the-equation-that-sets-forbes-apart-from-others/

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █