Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:50:25 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know of a good reasonably priced HDD tray?  (Read 666 times)
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 11:11:27 AM
Last edit: December 13, 2014, 11:45:24 AM by Lethn

I am looking for something extremely simple so I can finish my old computer and get everything up and running again, a HDD tray and you'd think that would be piss easy to find but with SSD's and the PS3 and so on it's made life a lot more difficult than I would've thought! Does anyone know where I can get one? What I'm looking for is something simple that of course comes with screws because I have an old HDD tray and even though it slots in fine I need screws for it but finding the right screws for it to go in is probably going to take several weeks so it would be much easier to just spend £5 or so on something instead.

Also random question, would putting a short circuited component to test whether it's truly broken wreck the computer? I'm obviously not going to try this if something could happen.

Edit: hmmm the trays/enclosures have changed a hell of a lot since I last looked at them - http://www.novatech.co.uk/search.html?s=HDD%20internal%20enclosure

In case you were wandering the trays I have are for 3.5" I think, but I'll double check.
(oYo)

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 01:30:41 PM

Go to some large hardware store (B&Q?) and find yourself some screws. Seriously, it can't be that hard. I'm no computer expert, but I'm sure you could even use wood screws if you are desperate.

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 01:33:41 PM

Go to some large hardware store (B&Q?) and find yourself some screws. Seriously, it can't be that hard. I'm no computer expert, but I'm sure you could even use wood screws if you are desperate.

I guess I'll have a search around it's just all the screws I have are too small so I guess I could scavenge some from around the house, I want my computer back now it's switched on lol Tongue I'm just worried about getting too long a screw and damaging the hard drive, do you know the exact kind of screws you'd need to fit it in properly?
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 01:35:52 PM

Also random question, would putting a short circuited component to test whether it's truly broken wreck the computer? I'm obviously not going to try this if something could happen.

That will certainly depend on how the component is short circuited.
If we talked about a PCIe card where VCC and GND is truely shorted, then could "interesting" things happen.
As long as we are not talking short circuited power rails, then will you in most case be safe.

But if you don't know what you are doing then are you better off throwing the component away or test it in a old computer.  

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 01:37:23 PM

That will certainly depend on how the component is short circuited.
If we talked about a PCIe card where VCC and GND is truely shorted, then could "interesting" things happen.
As long as we are not talking short circuited power rails, then will you in most case be safe.

But if you don't know what you are doing then are you better off throwing the component away or test it in a old computer.  

Thanks for that, I definitely don't know about the effects of short circuiting so I'll keep all those components seperate for sure.

Edit: Found a box of what looks like the exact sort of screws I need to properly seat the HDD yey!
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2014, 08:41:15 PM
Last edit: December 14, 2014, 08:13:34 AM by Lethn

I have the tray slotted in fine-ish, need to put it in the right way so I can put the cover on but I'm too lazy to do that right now lol Tongue because right now I'm trying to get my bootable USB to work properly, it runs Windows 7 fine at first, but after it loads up the setup files there's an error message "0x0000007B" classic BSOD now I'm 100% sure I've fixed this before but I can't remember how to do it and of course with google I'm having to sift through tons of crap to get to an actual solution, has anyone here recently installed from a USB stick and knows what to do to get past the BSOD?

It wasn't 7B! Just a note! It was "Machine_Check_Exception" or something which looks very specific, I'll have a look on the net for it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: