Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:15:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Only Business Group  (Read 1887 times)
Gabriel Beal (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Fezzik, tear his arms off.

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 01:21:04 PM

I was thinking of starting a bitcoin-only business group.  I wanted to see if there was any interest in this.  I can see a few advantages.

Sharing ideas and resources
I just started my business and had to solve a lot of problems.  Where to get my first bitcoins?  What shopping cart software would I be able to use and accept bitcoins? And so on.  I was able to get a lot of this information in disparate locations online, but having a central place might help.  And it would help to have the ear of other entrepreneurs who had solved the same problems.

Policing membership
I don't mean having some sort of guild-like structure that tries to control entry to the bitcoin market.  I mean that this organization might behave as a sort of Better Business Bureau.  It would be a Better Bitcoin-Business Bureau.  Is BBBB.com taken? Damn, it is.  Anyway, the group would verify legitimacy and endorse any bitcoin-only business that met some set of criteria.  There could be a visual indicator of group membership.

I haven't thought this fully through yet, but I wanted to put it out there.  Any thoughts?

Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 01:25:01 PM

Is BBBB.com taken?

As far as I'm aware, every 4-letter combination is... all 456,976 of them.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 01:31:13 PM

bbb.bit and bbbb.bit are available!
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 01:34:22 PM

bbb.bit and bbbb.bit are available!
+1 for using .bit domains.

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 02:43:44 PM

If you need to raise starting capital you can always use the bitcoin stock market, but beware it's unregulated and in Beta(probably illegal to if you're american).

http://glbse.com

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:47:29 PM

I would highly suggest /not/ using a .bit domain. If those are namecoin based, it is far too hard to actually connect for 99.9999% of people.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:56:42 PM

I would highly suggest /not/ using a .bit domain. If those are namecoin based, it is far too hard to actually connect for 99.9999% of people.

Use it in addition to. You need to grow the namecoin system in order so that it will be useful.

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 04:19:28 PM

Use it in addition to. You need to grow the namecoin system in order so that it will be useful.

+1, they could have a "reach us at ..., or xyz.bit"

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 05:16:55 PM

I think this is a good idea, in general, but the BBB shouldn't be used as a model. The Better Business Bureau is a C Corporation which charges dues in order for any business to join and members seem to get better evaluations than non-(due paying)members. IMO, setting any sort of "criteria" invites the suggestion of paying dues, leading to a conflict of interest.

Maybe existing businesses could "vouch" for new ones.

Still around.
Gabriel Beal (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 05:27:43 PM

I think this is a good idea, in general, but the BBB shouldn't be used as a model. The Better Business Bureau is a C Corporation which charges dues in order for any business to join and members seem to get better evaluations than non-(due paying)members. IMO, setting any sort of "criteria" invites the suggestion of paying dues, leading to a conflict of interest.

Yeah, I agree.  I would want this to be more like an open source project.  Possibly the criteria could be proposed and voted on by existing members. You'd have to guard against members using their position to limit competition.  If squarewear.biz were part of this organization and another t-shirt company wanted to gain membership, I'd have incentive to vote against them entering (although I wouldn't).   

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 05:29:25 PM

Yeah, I agree.  I would want this to be more like an open source project.  Possibly the criteria could be proposed and voted on by existing members. You'd have to guard against members using their position to limit competition.  If squarewear.biz were part of this organization and another t-shirt company wanted to gain membership, I'd have incentive to vote against them entering (although I wouldn't).   

I'm sure a system of checks and balances can be put into use. I'm at my "day job" right now but I'll give it some thought.

Still around.
ISA

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 01:38:56 AM

There is an checkout module for Interspire shopping cart sofware available for Bitcoins:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=8034.0

Made by the guys of Powerfolder.
samadamsbeer

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 02:27:29 AM

I was thinking of starting a bitcoin-only business group.  I wanted to see if there was any interest in this.  I can see a few advantages.

Sharing ideas and resources
I just started my business and had to solve a lot of problems.  Where to get my first bitcoins?  What shopping cart software would I be able to use and accept bitcoins? And so on.  I was able to get a lot of this information in disparate locations online, but having a central place might help.  And it would help to have the ear of other entrepreneurs who had solved the same problems.

Policing membership
I don't mean having some sort of guild-like structure that tries to control entry to the bitcoin market.  I mean that this organization might behave as a sort of Better Business Bureau.  It would be a Better Bitcoin-Business Bureau.  Is BBBB.com taken? Damn, it is.  Anyway, the group would verify legitimacy and endorse any bitcoin-only business that met some set of criteria.  There could be a visual indicator of group membership.

I haven't thought this fully through yet, but I wanted to put it out there.  Any thoughts?

I think this is a really good idea. I was thinking of a website badge, like the BBB, but that actually links to some kind of site anyone can post reviews at. But we should be aware of the dangers.... on topic:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/22/your-money/22haggler.html?_r=2&nl=your-money&emc=your-moneyemb1
bearbones

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 04:54:33 AM

There are many reasons to have a bitcoin-only business.  I think that there are many more powerful reasons to accept payments in multiple currencies.  So long as you don't allow conversion, what's the problem?  You may even introduce more people to bitcoins.

Feed Ze Birds Pay and get paid for tweets
Coinapult Send Bitcoins easily over email or text message
Anonymous

May 24, 2011, 05:03:29 AM

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=5713.0

I suggested something like this awhile ago.

http://www.elgg.org/  might be good to use.
Gabriel Beal (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 12:34:43 PM

http://www.elgg.org/  might be good to use.

I read your original thread.  What do you think of the idea of not charging fees for membership?  Workable?  Or do you think fees would need to be charged, but conflicts of interest could be solved by crowdsourcing the reviews? 

Anonymous

May 28, 2011, 02:59:00 AM

http://www.elgg.org/  might be good to use.

I read your original thread.  What do you think of the idea of not charging fees for membership?  Workable?  Or do you think fees would need to be charged, but conflicts of interest could be solved by crowdsourcing the reviews?  

http://www.mywot.com/  I like their business model.

If you are going to charge for something you need to provide value for value imo.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: