Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:48:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple question of anonymity  (Read 1902 times)
CoinRocka (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 02:52:38 PM

This is simply the techie in me but is it not possible to track all block chain transactions using forensics (NSA, CIA..etc)?

Even Darkcoin, Monero, Boolberry and the like make some type of digital footprint on the Internet that is trackable.

In my mind, l33t hackers will always be one small step ahead of the NSA and the NSA will always be miles ahead of the general populace. 
sumantso
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 03:02:23 PM

This is simply the techie in me but is it not possible to track all block chain transactions using forensics (NSA, CIA..etc)?

Even Darkcoin, Monero, Boolberry and the like make some type of digital footprint on the Internet that is trackable.

In my mind, l33t hackers will always be one small step ahead of the NSA and the NSA will always be miles ahead of the general populace. 

Even TITAN?

I can't say whether it suffers from the same flaw you mention, I am not aware of the technical details of each.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4660

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 03:34:13 PM

If you are asking about bitcoin, then the answer is yes.

If you are asking about altcoins, then this belongs in the altcoin sub-forum.

You are welcome to any opinion on the matter that you like.  I suspect that the NSA has hired many elite computer hardware and software experts.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 03:44:26 PM

I don't know enough about the governments abilities to know what the NSA can do and I don't think anyone else here does either. I know it's possible to parse the blockchain and get trails from it that most people wouldn't think possible.

I have a simple rule you can follow that makes this problem moot. Don't do anything on-line or buy anything on-line that you wouldn't show your mother and grandmother in church on Sunday Christmas morning. If you must buy drugs or some other illegal item please only use fully anonymous U.S. Dollars. For further security I suggest only purchasing items on a university campus where all items are readily available.

CoinRocka (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 03:49:30 PM

I don't know enough about the governments abilities to know what the NSA can do and I don't think anyone else here does either. I know it's possible to parse the blockchain and get trails from it that most people wouldn't think possible.

I have a simple rule you can follow that makes this problem moot. Don't do anything on-line or buy anything on-line that you wouldn't show your mother and grandmother in church on Sunday Christmas morning. If you must buy drugs or some other illegal item please only use fully anonymous U.S. Dollars. For further security I suggest only purchasing items on a university campus where all items are readily available.

if only i knew this back in '98    Cool
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 04:20:25 PM

if only i knew this back in '98    Cool

The first class I took in college was a no credit one taught in a dorm room.  Wink

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 05:52:17 PM

You are safe with Bitcoin generally, and you are super safe with Monero. No one is going to go to the lenghts of trying to backtrace Monero transactions unless you are what, fucking bin laden or something.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 05:55:54 PM

well coinrocka

bitcoin never asks for your birthname, home address or social security numbers. so bitcoin is about as anonymous as bank notes.
but when people do silly things like putting their bitcoin address in the footnote of their posts
EG 1JzEpKnB5ZYJoetBQF85Tjbqp9Fjorhe4v

it then becomes searchable to link coinrocka to 1JzEpKnB5ZYJoetBQF85Tjbqp9Fjorhe4v. and then using NSA tools and ISP data, to search internet users who have the pseudonym coinrocka.

and thus NSA/ your ISP establishes a link between your real life and a bitcoin address..

bitcoin is only as anonymous as the information PEOPLE stupidly give out on the internet. and even without NSA tools its easy to link coinrocka to other names.. isnt that right bitwhisky

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cheekychap

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 06:31:13 PM

Yes its possible by traingualting IP address from which the transaction originated.
You should look into Darkcoin for complete anonymity.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4660

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 06:59:27 PM

Yes its possible by triangulating

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

IP address from which the transaction originated.

How can you identify which IP address originated the transaction?  Do you even know how bitcoin works?

You should look into Darkcoin for complete anonymity.

Are you certain that Darkcoin will provide complete anonymity?  I suspect you are mistaken about that.  Complete anonymity is a LOT more difficult than most people realize.  As franky1 pointed out, people have a tendency to leak their identity without even thinking about it.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 07:15:17 PM

Stop merging Bitcoin and altcoin discussions into one.
The anonymity of Bitcoin is not related to the anonymity of altcoins.
Yes, Bitcoin transactions can be traced.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 07:35:34 PM

As others have already said, complete anonymity on the internet is exceptionally difficult, especially if you're dumb enough to post your photo or let people know your voice when you're trying to stay hidden, a classic example is with the ISIS beheadings, even though they were all masked the dumbasses didn't mask their voice, so it was easy to identify that at least one of them is British because of the accent.

There IS a dark wallet for Bitcoin currently in development and it's being worked on by Amir Taaki and Cody Wilson apparently https://www.darkwallet.is/ this will essentially mixup your Bitcoin and make it much harder for people to locate where the transactions have come from but in the end staying anonymous all relies on how smart you are and how much you can think ahead.
CoinRocka (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:15:57 PM

well coinrocka

bitcoin never asks for your birthname, home address or social security numbers. so bitcoin is about as anonymous as bank notes.
but when people do silly things like putting their bitcoin address in the footnote of their posts

it then becomes searchable to link coinrocka to 1JzEpKnB5ZYJoetBQF85Tjbqp9Fjorhe4v. and then using NSA tools and ISP data, to search internet users who have the pseudonym coinrocka.

and thus NSA/ your ISP establishes a link between your real life and a bitcoin address..

bitcoin is only as anonymous as the information PEOPLE stupidly give out on the internet. and even without NSA tools its easy to link coinrocka to other names.. isnt that right bitwhisky

Well done!  I like this guy...
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 01:19:30 PM

If you really want to know how to defeat the anonymity in Bitcoin here's some light reading for you. Dan Kaminsky was the first one to figure it out in 2011.

http://www.slideshare.net/dakami/black-ops-of-tcpip-2011-black-hat-usa-2011

John Ratcliff can show you how to easily parse the blockchain.

http://codesuppository.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-parse-bitcoin-blockchain

One way to find people is to use Python to connect to bitcoin peer-to-peer clients that connect to a huge amount of the active nodes. You're way ahead of the game if you can find the first node to relay a transaction because that's the source of the transaction.

If you want a good idea for how to link the addresses of a Bitcoin user read An Analysis of Anonymity in the Bitcoin System 2011-07-22 by Fergal Reid.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1107.4524.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Another good read on the subject is Bitcoin Theft – The Top Ten Threats | Genesys Guru Blog

http://genesysguru.com/blog/blog/2011/06/17/bitcoin-theft-the-top-ten-threats/

Read all of these then think back to: mom, grandma, church Sunday Christmas morning  Wink

maurya78

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 01:25:28 PM

QuestionAuthority - these are great links, thank you
I have given up on anonymity - much easier not to have anything to hide Wink

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 01:31:28 PM

No problem. All of us have something to hide but it's better to not hide it over an Internet connection. lol

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2014, 02:46:13 PM

No problem. All of us have something to hide but it's better to not hide it over an Internet connection. lol

For many folks it is not about what they have to "hide", and more what they have to "protect".

Even the injured animal mothers know not to lead the predators back to the den of their young.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 03:05:56 PM

For many folks it is not about what they have to "hide", and more what they have to "protect".

Even the injured animal mothers know not to lead the predators back to the den of their young.

So true. It's sad that humans don't have the intellect of a ground hog. lol

Poolie

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 03:19:47 PM

well coinrocka

I don't think it's fair to call it a stupid action. You could argue that as soon as you have an item shipped to you via bitcoin you've lost your anonymity but some people don't care about being absolute ghosts.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2014, 03:55:30 PM

take a look at Zerocash too:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=362468.msg3878992#msg3878992

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: