Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:52:24 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple question of anonymity  (Read 1903 times)
687_2

Activity: 173
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 04:41:08 PM

This is simply the techie in me but is it not possible to track all block chain transactions using forensics (NSA, CIA..etc)?

Even Darkcoin, Monero, Boolberry and the like make some type of digital footprint on the Internet that is trackable.

In my mind, l33t hackers will always be one small step ahead of the NSA and the NSA will always be miles ahead of the general populace. 

It would be trivialy easy to link almost all BTC transactions to real identities.

Buy the dip with the security and privacy of your own wallet: use cross chain atomic swaps to trade Bitcoin, USDT, and Ether. Trades are secured and settled on-chain. https://sibex.io
deluxeCITY

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 02:26:55 AM

well coinrocka

bitcoin never asks for your birthname, home address or social security numbers. so bitcoin is about as anonymous as bank notes.
but when people do silly things like putting their bitcoin address in the footnote of their posts
EG 1JzEpKnB5ZYJoetBQF85Tjbqp9Fjorhe4v

it then becomes searchable to link coinrocka to 1JzEpKnB5ZYJoetBQF85Tjbqp9Fjorhe4v. and then using NSA tools and ISP data, to search internet users who have the pseudonym coinrocka.

and thus NSA/ your ISP establishes a link between your real life and a bitcoin address..

bitcoin is only as anonymous as the information PEOPLE stupidly give out on the internet. and even without NSA tools its easy to link coinrocka to other names.. isnt that right bitwhisky
Well you really only are leaking your identity for that specific address. If you use bitcoin in a way to maximize your privacy (to never reuse an address) then any attacker will not know which address is your change address and which one is going to whereever you are spending your money
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 07:00:36 AM

It is pseudonymity, not anonymity which is a feature of Bitcoin.
You have to be real careful not to link any address you use to your real world identity.
BITMIXER.IO

Activity: 261
Merit: 265

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 01:34:56 PM

You loose your anonymity on the point of buying real goods, cashout or exchange coins using bank transfer or similar. Also It is possible to track you analysing the way you receive first coins.
After you loose anonymity, all your past and further transactions are very trackable.
That is why we open our service. To guard privacy.
YinShuiSiYuan

Activity: 1680
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 01:44:34 AM

This is simply the techie in me but is it not possible to track all block chain transactions using forensics (NSA, CIA..etc)?

Even Darkcoin, Monero, Boolberry and the like make some type of digital footprint on the Internet that is trackable.

In my mind, l33t hackers will always be one small step ahead of the NSA and the NSA will always be miles ahead of the general populace. 

I don't know enough about the governments abilities to know what the NSA can do and I don't think anyone else here does either. I know it's possible to parse the blockchain and get trails from it that most people wouldn't think possible.

I have a simple rule you can follow that makes this problem moot. Don't do anything on-line or buy anything on-line that you wouldn't show your mother and grandmother in church on Sunday Christmas morning. If you must buy drugs or some other illegal item please only use fully anonymous U.S. Dollars. For further security I suggest only purchasing items on a university campus where all items are readily available.
Snowden has given us a pretty good idea as to what the government is capable of doing (as of ~2 years ago based on technology that was available then), which is pretty much anything.

I would only assume that the technology available to the government is only going to increase over time

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
nauane

Activity: 322
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 12:12:36 PM

It is pseudonymity, not anonymity which is a feature of Bitcoin.
You have to be real careful not to link any address you use to your real world identity.
sorry, I did not understand, how someone would link any address with identity in the real world? what kind of care do you mean?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: