Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:23:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What will happen to people with non-BFL FPGAs (once ASIC arrives)  (Read 6940 times)
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 07:28:14 PM

GPUs could potentially be profitable (with free electric), and FPGAs as well (with cheap electric), at least at the beginning of the ASIC rollout. The resale value won't be that high, but with the nearly insignificant electric draw why, would you not mine with them?

I am not sure about this in the long-run because of rent.   Now if you have free electricity, free rent, sure maybe sometime down the road, as long as your GPU doesn't die, it can be profitable on a relative basis to not running GPUs at all.   This assume difficulty skyrockets which I believe it will around Dec-Jan.

Dalkore

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2012, 02:51:06 PM

When it's released? Well, my miners will be worthless. Till then? Well I'm making more than the preorderers...

Yeah I think many will dump their GPUs precisely when ASIC miners start shipping. That's what I plan to do unless I can figure out another use for the several 5870s I still have. I also have a few Icarus fpga miners but those I think I'll have a much harder time selling, so it would be neat if someone released a distributed.net or Folding@home or Seti@home bitstream for them - basically anything to repurpose them away from mining when mining with them is no longer worthwhile.

Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2012, 10:11:26 PM

You just keep mining and hope that your efficiency will keep you profitable... and also hope that the GPUs leaving the hashing market will let you stay profitable for a bit longer...

By my calculations, if you have an FPGA in your hands right now and mine it, you will come close to break even before reward halving and the difficulty rise. Of course it's much better to have a BFL for the trade in, but you aren't completely out of luck.

I would not order a non-BFL FPGA at this point though.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 03:42:42 AM

When it's released? Well, my miners will be worthless. Till then? Well I'm making more than the preorderers...

Yeah I think many will dump their GPUs precisely when ASIC miners start shipping. That's what I plan to do unless I can figure out another use for the several 5870s I still have. I also have a few Icarus fpga miners but those I think I'll have a much harder time selling, so it would be neat if someone released a distributed.net or Folding@home or Seti@home bitstream for them - basically anything to repurpose them away from mining when mining with them is no longer worthwhile.

You should ditch them when it's not longer profitable, and no sooner.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2012, 04:37:03 AM

Also, you should investigate Litecoin. I've heard someone's written a GPU miner for it, and the only reason people aren't using it is that their video cards are better served mining Bitcoin. If ASICs squeeze GPUs out of profitability... that could change!

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 10:42:44 AM

You just keep mining and hope that your efficiency will keep you profitable... and also hope that the GPUs leaving the hashing market will let you stay profitable for a bit longer...

By my calculations, if you have an FPGA in your hands right now and mine it, you will come close to break even before reward halving and the difficulty rise. Of course it's much better to have a BFL for the trade in, but you aren't completely out of luck.

I would not order a non-BFL FPGA at this point though.

if i had an FPGA in my hands right now

i'd sell it while it still had some value
Zeronic

Activity: 243
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 03:43:11 AM

I don't believe this *** hype, I'm just going to let my FPGA keep mining until the boards burn out. If any other vendor comes out with ASIC I might look in to it.

●   John McAfee Supports   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  Advertising Platform  ❱❱❱❱❱❱   
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  YOUC  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 06:38:33 PM

Same here Smiley

Or someone designs a new fpga miner on 28nm Tech. Then ill rather switch to that before thinking of being a SC from BFL :/

GernMiester

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 09:53:12 PM

Its simple.  The ASIC users create such a massive difficulty increase all other miners make tiny fractions of a BTC a day or quit.
ASIC centralizes mining further by reducing the number of people who want to play. 
Look at ANY pool to see how many miners they have. There are not nearly as many individuals mining as one would think.  Now ASIC will give power to even fewer people and that centralizes mining even more. The higher the difficulty the less players period...

Do you really think the average person will learn all about BTC and is going to buy a $150 coffee warmer?  Its not going to happen.
So many people know about BTC and simply don't care. Raising the bar for entry means even less people will even bother to look.

IF BTC ever becomes a threat to any currency it will be made illegal and then no reputable business or person will want to bother with it. Think EGOLD and its money laundering issues of 2008 or was it 2009

Simpler version

Game is Tag = CPU for BTC - everyone gets to play nothing is required but you.

Game on XBOX = GPU for BTC - now you need a special box but its not very expensive and so many already have one its no big deal

Snowboarding/Skiing = FPGA for BTC - now you must absolutely have the right gear to play and you have to pay for access to get in the door.

Professional Sports = ASIC for BTC - now you need incredible skill that the average guy will never possess. They don't bother to even try and only watch. Many people don't even care to watch.
enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 10:01:03 PM

they also can change the algorithm a little bit, and continue mining on the split blockchain
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 04:26:04 PM

Password cracking for hire?

because a lot of password systems use double sha256

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 04:30:48 PM

we can always donate samples to the bitcoin museum that is yet to be founded.
randomguy7

Activity: 527

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 06:24:15 PM

Password cracking for hire?

because a lot of password systems use double PBKDF2* sha256

Fixed that. But it doesn't make a difference as PBKDF2 basically does lots of sha256 iterations.

What I would like is a generic PBKDF2 brute force bitstream (to brute force wpa2 passwords i.e.). Or a litecoin miner Grin. Could the ztex boards be used for this or is it impossible because of the ram requirements of scrypt?
Badonkadonk

Activity: 560

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:52:41 AM

just point your hardware / cgminer at litecoin and keep smiling the world isnt ending Smiley

meebs

Activity: 616

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 02:07:44 AM

Doing LTC mining on my CPUS (bout 11 ltc a day worth) is nice, as you actually feel like you are earning something (in terms of units, not $$), compared to the lowly 0.65 BTC I earn a day from my 4 GPU's.

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Chrstian

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 07:57:31 PM

Hi guys, this thread is to discuss the options for people with non BLF FPGAs. While GPUs can be resold, the FPGA probably cannot. What do you do if you just bought your board, and are no-where near it's repayment period ?

Well FGPA'S (field programmable gate array's) can always be resold. with a little bit of effort they can be used for a multitude of other applications. resale might be quite a bit lower proportionally than a graphics card though, considering alot may be dumped if ASIC does indeed arrive soon. i expect graphics cards will also devalue, just not as much.
Badonkadonk

Activity: 560

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 08:46:20 PM

gogo sell ure fpga`s cheap, ill have them all, free powah ftw  Grin

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 03:02:15 PM

ASIC centralizes mining further by reducing the number of people who want to play. 
Nice trolling

Too bad that being able to buy a Jalapeno for 150$ make your point totally fail. It's easier to buy an ASIC for 150$, plug it via USB and tell it mine or having to buy GPUs, mess with driver and overclocks and having a computer running them?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: