Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:26:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Real names  (Read 11149 times)
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 03:22:26 PM

Having everything concentrated in one community is not good.

We agree on something.

I would never use my real name in an unsafe centralized forum such as this.
this forum in my perspective is the antithesis to bitcoin, the solution to a social problem that contributes to the underlying problem. Bitcoin as it's conception, is to strive to exist after the social problem.
Not to attribute problems to it's own concept and growth by retaining it's flaws.
A software dev with a full head of hair doesn't read his forums.
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nicolai Larsen

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

Earthling

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2011, 03:52:30 PM

There!

I'm using my real name as well now ^^

feels good.

BTC: 1GUH16sneWgKuE1ArXrnYKN3njuherJQi1
Mike Moceri

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2011, 03:54:31 PM

I'd be happy to revise my username and provide my information. My email address contains my name and is publicly available, anyway. My name is Mike Moceri, I'm a law student at Drexel University. I'm also working on a number of bitcoin-powered businesses, including Anonymous Academy.
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 04:19:35 PM

My name is
Juan V. Gomez
I live at
4809 Bungalow Road
Omaha, NE 68102

I am 86.9 kg and 184 cm tall

My mothers maiden name is Wade. I have nothing to hide.

the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2011, 04:45:19 PM

Roger Wehbe

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
ErgoOne

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 05:39:14 PM

I certain do have something to hide, but only to avoid identity theft and stalkers.  I don't post a home address, private phone number, or other private information here or anywhere.  I would strongly recommend the same precautions, especially to other women.   While there are no more dishonest or dangerous people on the Internet than in the world in general, when you post on a public forum you are exposed to a much larger number of people.  The odds almost guarantee that some of them are not people you would want following you home.

However, I post in forums using a nickname or handle simply because that is how it has always been done in the years I've been active on the Internet, which is roughly since it began.  Anybody who looks on my web site (http://www.ergosphere.net) can find my full real name, contact email address, and even my resume.   There is nothing about my interest in Bitcoin that I am trying to keep quiet. I think it's a fascinating and likely quite useful new technology.  I want to know more about it and possibly contribute to its success, not as a playground for currency speculators, but as a viable currency. 
Nicolai Larsen

Activity: 331

Earthling

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2011, 09:06:56 PM

I certain do have something to hide, but only to avoid identity theft and stalkers.  I don't post a home address, private phone number, or other private information here or anywhere.  I would strongly recommend the same precautions, especially to other women.   While there are no more dishonest or dangerous people on the Internet than in the world in general, when you post on a public forum you are exposed to a much larger number of people.  The odds almost guarantee that some of them are not people you would want following you home.

However, I post in forums using a nickname or handle simply because that is how it has always been done in the years I've been active on the Internet, which is roughly since it began.  Anybody who looks on my web site (http://www.ergosphere.net) can find my full real name, contact email address, and even my resume.   There is nothing about my interest in Bitcoin that I am trying to keep quiet. I think it's a fascinating and likely quite useful new technology.  I want to know more about it and possibly contribute to its success, not as a playground for currency speculators, but as a viable currency.  

There's a huge difference from posting your name to posting your entire address... Just saying ^^

BTC: 1GUH16sneWgKuE1ArXrnYKN3njuherJQi1
ErgoOne

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 09:22:50 PM

There is. :-)  My real name is Catherine Jefferson.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 02:07:08 AM

If you want to find someone, the name on the internet doesn't hide much.  Is my name real? Does it matter?  I'm easy to find and I haven't been attacked by a psycho axe murderer (yet).
ErgoOne

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 02:50:46 AM

True, Patrick, but unless I much miss my guess, you're a guy. :-)  Women who have spent any appreciable amount of time as single adults learn to be cautious about giving out personal information online.  I don't troll or flame in newsgroups, cyberdate (I'm married), or engage in the sorts of activities that attract unwanted attention, and receive a good deal less of it than most of my female friends.  Nonetheless it is an issue from time to time.  I would encourage anybody, and especially women, to be cautious about sharing personal information.  If a woman is single, it is wise not to share a full legal name because that can sometimes lead to an address if one is listed in public records anywhere.
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 03:12:12 AM

Your point is valid, and it also depends on the person and what they are comfortable with.  Still, you don't necessarily have to be known by name to get into trouble - random people on the street can cause that easily enough.
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 11:51:05 PM

FYI, all the weirdos on this forum use all three names, as in middle name included.

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2011, 12:47:15 AM

I've been using mine since I launched TradeHill. I think this thread was a great idea as well.
As far as exposure it's not as big of a problem when you have a common name but some of us are one of a kind or close enough to it.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 12:53:07 AM

Your point is valid, and it also depends on the person and what they are comfortable with.  Still, you don't necessarily have to be known by name to get into trouble - random people on the street can cause that easily enough.

As a weird update, someone was randomly attacked here last week on the street - a couple of teenagers beat on a journo who was on the way home from work.  He died as a result.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 01:03:40 AM

I've made quite a few mistakes in my short time here but I've never been that keen on working for other people so it never bothered me to make mistakes and just flat out be wrong on some issues. If a crazyface like me can become this successful, let it be a lesson to everyone else that due to the inherent nature of hiding things, it will only be a matter of time. Be open from the start.

Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 01:12:58 AM

FYI, all the weirdos on this forum use all three names, as in middle name included.
I prefer first name and last name only. No spaces, and camel cased.

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 02:00:27 AM

I prefer first name and last name only. No spaces, and camel cased.
Today we lost the Ryland as we knew him.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2011, 02:15:30 AM

My name is
Juan V. Gomez
I live at
4809 Bungalow Road
Omaha, NE 68102

I am 86.9 kg and 184 cm tall

My mothers maiden name is Wade. I have nothing to hide.

You're right. Nothing to hide. Here's mine:

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1071

View Profile
December 25, 2011, 12:44:34 PM

Should I do this?

I changed my name on IRC briefly to AmirTaaki and it just felt awkward and strange. I've been using genjix over 10 years now, and the name is a part of my identity. It has a rich history which I don't quite want to give up now. Like a warm blanket wrapped around me.

I don't mind my real name either. It's interesting and different. But genjix also means a lot to me as a faceless identity I grew as a person with. I kind of like to be anonymous sometimes. I will occasionally change my name on IRC and pretend not to be me or obfuscate my identity to new people. I spend a lot of time on 4chan. It has a nice concept where it is more important what you say, rather than what you do.

If there is a reason for me to switch though, then I will. It isn't a huge deal.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2011, 04:30:42 PM

Should I do this?

I changed my name on IRC briefly to AmirTaaki and it just felt awkward and strange. I've been using genjix over 10 years now, and the name is a part of my identity. It has a rich history which I don't quite want to give up now. Like a warm blanket wrapped around me.

I don't mind my real name either. It's interesting and different. But genjix also means a lot to me as a faceless identity I grew as a person with. I kind of like to be anonymous sometimes. I will occasionally change my name on IRC and pretend not to be me or obfuscate my identity to new people. I spend a lot of time on 4chan. It has a nice concept where it is more important what you say, rather than what you do.

If there is a reason for me to switch though, then I will. It isn't a huge deal.

I've always had the desire to change my name to just my real first name--Bruno--long before that movie came out. As a kid, I wasn't to fond of it because the others kids bastardized the name. Back then, I was thinking of changing it to Frank. But later in life, I embraced the name as others expressed how different it is. When I conducted my shows in Nashville during the late 80's and early 90's, I only used Bruno, which proved productive.

As for now, I prefer to remain using Bruno as my real name on this forum, but I'm easily found in Sandwich, Illinois. If there ever comes a time that my full name needs to be made available somewhere, I will provide it to theymos, thereby having an authority know who I am. My last name is of Lithuanian origin.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: