Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 11:08:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are merchants not serious about the advantages of Bitcoin?  (Read 3468 times)
leex1528

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 06:45:56 PM

I think another reason is tons of people probably bought Bitcoins when they were much more expensive.  If the price jumped up to say 1200, I would bet every business would see you a huge raise in the amount of Bitcoin purchases. 
ebliever (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:18:45 PM

Why would you think that?
I think merchant adoption has been stellar, if you consider the vol we have had

My complaint is not with the number of merchants accepting bitcoin, but with their failure to capitalize on its use. Bitcoin provides cost savings to merchants who accept it in the form of lower fees and costs associated with other forms of payment (bounced check fees, arguing chargebacks, hiring armored cars to carry away cash, and so on).

Consumers like me get rebates and points and so forth using other payment systems like credit cards. So we need an incentive to switch to bitcoin. Since the merchants are indirectly paying for my rebates/points/etc with the fees they pay to financial middlemen, it makes sense for them to offer a discount to consumers paying with bitcoin. They should be able to hit a sweet spot where the discount is less than the amount they are saving, but more than we consumers can get using alternate forms of payment.

Do that and bitcoin use will explode.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
waaat?

Activity: 574
Merit: 104

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:30:54 PM

Instead they are treating it like a short-sighted marketing gimmick.

because they know it won't last
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: