Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 02:37:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rouble crash didn't give a chance to Bitcoin?  (Read 5002 times)
Vessko

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 12:34:37 PM

You sound as certain & use the same logic as the intrepid NeoBee investors did when I questioned the integrity of Mr. Danny Brewster (see pic).

I am not sufficiently familiar with this and don't see how it pertains to the matter discussed.

1.  A financial institution unwilling to offer the bare rudiments of corporate information, such as address, business registration, and names of the key players likely has a reason for doing so.

I agree with you on this.

2.  Registering a company in Cyprus is trivial, registering an exchange is not.

Registering a financial (stocks, bonds, currencies) exchange most likely isn't but Bitcoin is new. I can't easily check its legal status in Cyprus but it varies wildly from country to country. For instance, it is considered property in the USA, a foreign currency in Switzerland (if I remember correctly) and, believe it or not, a service in Bulgaria (as a lawyer specializing in IT-related law told me just a couple of days ago). So, registering a company that "buys and sells digital goods" might be much easier there. This needs checking, though.

2(a).  If BTC-e is registered, and has not provided the registration to its clients, why?

I don't know. And I don't care. This is of concern only of its clients, which I am not one of. Also, I don't think that there is a law in Cyprus that says that every registered company has the obligation to provide the registration information to its clients.

It seems that you are trying to imply that BTC-e is a shady business. I am not inclined to argue with you on this - mostly because I don't care what kind of business it is; I have no financial stake in it. I simply reported what I knew about it since the subject arose.

3.  Regardless, not registering a company is easier still, especially when one wishes to obscure the names of the key players.

It is simply not possible when you have to deal with large amounts of money in various currencies going through the fiat banking system. They could, however, refrain from revealing the fact that their company was registered in Cyprus. Yet they didn't do so.

4.  Registering a shell requires a name.  Even when said name belongs to some carder degenerate willing to lend it for a nominal sum.  Such people are easy to flip when shit gets real.

You have to provide the name and identification to the company registrar, however - not necessarily to the whole world.

5.  Assuming that an anonymous Bitcoin financial institution will hang around when things go wrong, or when it becomes more profitable to walk with the money, is the stuff bitcointalk legends are made of.

I don't see how this is related to the subject of what kind of operation (Bulgarian, Russian or whatever) BTC-e is and where it is registered. As I wrote above, if what you are harping at is that it is a shady business and shouldn't be trusted, I am simply not interested in debating this issue with you and would readily accept your opinion on it.

If the people running this thing are not Russian citizens, do not reside in Russia

They said that they resided in Russia - at least at the time when they wrote this - but weren't Russian citizens.

what makes it a Russian business again?

The fact that it was created and is maintained by native Russians (and not Bulgarians, for instance).

I'm a native Russian speaker, BTW.

Yes, I could tell, even from just your otherwise excellent English. It should be even easier for you to see that the site was created by native Russian speakers and not just translated to Russian.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 03:42:49 PM

You sound as certain & use the same logic as the intrepid NeoBee investors did when I questioned the integrity of Mr. Danny Brewster (see pic).

I am not sufficiently familiar with this and don't see how it pertains to the matter discussed.

You don't see how it's relevant because you're not familiar with it.  I even took the time to post his pic, here:

Google is your friend tho, educate yourself.

2.  Registering a company in Cyprus is trivial, registering an exchange is not.

Registering a financial (stocks, bonds, currencies) exchange most likely isn't but Bitcoin is new. I can't easily check its legal status in Cyprus but...

Find out, instead of guessing.  Knowledge is power Smiley

2(a).  If BTC-e is registered, and has not provided the registration to its clients, why?

I don't know. And I don't care.

But ...you will make lengthy posts about it.  Why not play some vidya instead?

It seems that you are trying to imply that BTC-e is a shady business. I am not inclined to argue with you on this - mostly because I don't care what kind of business it is; I have no financial stake in it. I simply reported what I knew about it since the subject arose.

Right.  See above.

3.  Regardless, not registering a company is easier still, especially when one wishes to obscure the names of the key players.

It is simply not possible when you have to deal with large amounts of money in various currencies going through the fiat banking system. They could, however, refrain from revealing the fact that their company was registered in Cyprus. Yet they didn't do so.

You don't understand the rudiments of lying.  "We're a legit business" sounds much less trustworthy than "Legend Machine is a tool & die manufacturer based in Lincoln, Nebraska."
So now you know.

4.  Registering a shell requires a name.  Even when said name belongs to some carder degenerate willing to lend it for a nominal sum.  Such people are easy to flip when shit gets real.

You have to provide the name and identification to the company registrar, however - not necessarily to the whole world.

What is it about not giving investigators more leads/greater attack surface don't you get?

5.  Assuming that an anonymous Bitcoin financial institution will hang around when things go wrong, or when it becomes more profitable to walk with the money, is the stuff bitcointalk legends are made of.

I don't see how this is related to the subject of what kind of operation (Bulgarian, Russian or whatever) BTC-e is and where it is registered. As I wrote above, if what you are harping at is that it is a shady business and shouldn't be trusted, I am simply not interested in debating this issue with you and would readily accept your opinion on it.

No.  You are, once again, mistaken.  
I'm saying that dealing with any anonymous financial institution is a recipe for disaster, a notion which is self-evident to every child, everywhere but here on bitcointalk.  I hope this makes things bit clearer.

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 03:44:52 PM

it only takes top 1% of billionaires putting wealth into btc for it to be worth orders of magnitude higher.
NotLambchop

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 03:49:12 PM

it only takes top 1% of billionaires putting wealth into btc for it to be worth orders of magnitude higher.

It only takes 0.1% of billionaires putting wealth into BTCeanie BTCabies for them to be worth orders of magnitude more, what's your point?
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:35:48 PM

They would need to put a good amount of their wealth too.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:45:38 PM

They would need to put a good amount of their wealth too.
Yes ofcourse but sooner or later musical chair stops and all ur left holding is beanie babies err i mean fiat... Some smart wealthy people will realize the trend before it kicks in
Vessko

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 11:51:31 AM

Google is your friend tho, educate yourself.

Sorry, I am not interested enough to research yet another Bitcoin-related scam. I've seen plenty of them already.

I can't easily check its legal status in Cyprus but...

Find out, instead of guessing.  Knowledge is power Smiley

Which part of "I can't" you fail to understand? There is a web site in Cyprus for the registered companies, but it is as slow as to be practically unusable from my end and we don't know under what name the company is registered anyway. And I am not part of the law enforcement and cannot check bank accounts.

I don't know. And I don't care.

But ...you will make lengthy posts about it.  Why not play some vidya instead?

I am not making lengthy posts about it. Somebody posted that it was a Bulgarian exchange and I corrected him by reporting what I know - that only the servers are based in Bulgaria, the company is registered in Cyprus and the exchange is made and maintained by Russians. The rest of my posts in this thread is you disagreeing with me and me stating where I disagree with you. I am most definitely not advocating BTC-e, if you think that this is what I am doing.

You don't understand the rudiments of lying.  "We're a legit business" sounds much less trustworthy than "Legend Machine is a tool & die manufacturer based in Lincoln, Nebraska."

Then, I'm afraid, you don't understand the rudiments of business. It is much worse for a business to be caught lying than to remain anonymous.

What is it about not giving investigators more leads/greater attack surface don't you get?

They would give them exactly zero leads by not saying which jurisdiction applies to them. Saying anything more (even if a lie) provides more information to the investigators.

I'm saying that dealing with any anonymous financial institution is a recipe for disaster, a notion which is self-evident to every child, everywhere but here on bitcointalk.

I disagree with the general principle - what is important is the trustworthyness and not the name of the institution. Bitcoin itself was designed to transfer value without the need to trust a third party. And Enron was a well-known business, nothing anonymous about it, yet it still turned out to be a scam which ended in a disaster.

But that's in general. In particular, as I said, if your point is that BTC-e is not trustworthy, I am not going to argue with you on this, mostly because I don't care whether it is or isn't.
NotLambchop

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 01:15:09 PM

^TL;DR: Another lengthy, detailed post insisting that you're to lazy to learn the facts because you don't care.
Protip: Don't post about shit you don't know or care about--you'll have time to play more vidya Smiley
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 01:20:56 PM

^TL;DR: Another lengthy, detailed post insisting that you're to lazy to learn the facts because you don't care.
Protip: Don't post about shit you don't know or care about--you'll have time to play more vidya Smiley

Given you have more than 5200 posts on btctalk since the start of the year (not including your numerous alts/sock puppets), I think it is fair to say no one on this forum has more time to play 'vidya' than you.

NotLambchop

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 01:27:48 PM

Given you have more than 5200 posts on btctalk since the start of the year (not including your numerous alts/sock puppets), I think it is fair to say no one on this forum has more time to play 'vidya' than you.

Inca, I once had great hopes for Bitcoin.  I never suggested that I don't care.  Besides, other than, perhaps, Goat Simulator, what vidya has as much slapstick hilarity as this forum?
Rhetorical question--no vidya comes close.

Now go and "increase your holdings" 4 mah entertainment Cheesy
Vessko

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 11:18:30 AM

Somebody posted an information I knew to be incorrect (that BTC-e is a Bulgarian exchange). I posted a correction and provided the information known to me. This way I believe to have contributed to the thread. I am sorry if my contribution has offended you in any way or if you have perceived it as some form of hindering of your political agenda or whatever. Feel free to ignore me - I won't be offended.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 04:50:04 AM

Bitcoin have enough problem of it's own to think about rather than keep thinking about Rouble crash right now.

a fool and his money ...

Activity: 616
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 07:11:52 PM

rouble has just been delisted from bittrex because it was a scamcoin
moko666

Activity: 635
Merit: 500

BlasterKVs the king of xbox modding

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 11:19:40 PM