Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:52:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Russians move into bitcoin as ruble tanks (CNBC)  (Read 4106 times)
God27 (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

The 4th industrial revolution!

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 01:57:29 PM

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102275772

Yea ok

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 01:59:15 PM

It was inevitable.

Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2014, 02:15:49 PM

Sounds good but why does the price of bitcoin keeps on tanking? There must some selling pressure coming from somewhere. Another explanation i convince myself is i expect the drop in bitcoin price is a reflection of the strength or gain in us dollar like what is happening against all other currencies with bitcoin losing no exception.

God27 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 02:17:27 PM

Sounds good but why does the price of bitcoin keeps on tanking? There must some selling pressure coming from somewhere. Another explanation i convince myself is i expect the drop in bitcoin price is a reflection of the strength or gain in us dollar like what is happening against all other currencies with bitcoin losing no exception.

BTC might be flowing into XRP but I don't know for sure.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 02:24:15 PM

Sounds good but why does the price of bitcoin keeps on tanking? There must some selling pressure coming from somewhere.

from the 6-times-an hour issuance of course. no big mystery.

turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 02:27:22 PM

On explanation is, that people are selling their bitcoin to buy X-mas-gifts.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
God27 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 02:28:08 PM

On explanation is, that people are selling their bitcoin to buy X-mas-gifts.

And take their losses for a nice tax refund

ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 03:04:55 PM

I don't see anywhere a good increment of volume so as to say that statement
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 03:08:03 PM

maybe...
the russian maybe buying bitcoin but then quickly cashing into fiat of their destination

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
Houseman

Activity: 156
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 04:37:22 PM

maybe...
the russian maybe buying bitcoin but then quickly cashing into fiat of their destination

Seems like that's true. I guess there must be a big problem buying USD in Russia.

▮▮█ # metahashYour Gate to Decentralized Internet# metahash █▮▮
#TraceChain#MetaApps#MetaGate#MetaHashCoin
▮▮█▬▬▬▬▬❰Facebook❱▬❰Twitter❱▬❰Telegram❱▬❰Ann thread❱▬▬▬▬▬█▮▮
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2014, 04:42:59 PM

It's a cold war propaganda piece. Russia Times promotes Bitcoins outside of Russia, most likely in the hopes that it catches on and hurts the dollar/euro.

CNBC tries to get Russians to switch to Bitcoins most likely in the hopes that it hurts the ruble.

Where is Yakov Smirnov when you need him?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:14:20 PM

They haven't bought enough! Sorry to point it out, but it looks like BTC is going down with the ruble.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Pecunia non olet

Activity: 882
Merit: 102

PayAccept - Worldwide payments accepted in seconds

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:30:01 PM

This is news of last weeks.

This week:
bitcoiners move into ruble as bitcoin tanks.

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:55:25 PM

i was looking for the thread on this. most people knew it would eventually happen with the falling price of the ruble. gold traders must be living well.

it doesn't seem to be affecting btc price though.
YinShuiSiYuan

Activity: 1680
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 12:17:02 AM

It's a cold war propaganda piece. Russia Times promotes Bitcoins outside of Russia, most likely in the hopes that it catches on and hurts the dollar/euro.

CNBC tries to get Russians to switch to Bitcoins most likely in the hopes that it hurts the ruble.

Where is Yakov Smirnov when you need him?
The people of Russia need bitcoin to catch on in their country much more then the Russian government needs the Dollar to "fail"

The Ruble has fallen by ~50% this year while the dollar has held steady, plus even if bitcoin is successful over the long term it will probably only have marginal effects on the dollar

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
DonQuijote
Legendary

Activity: 1551
Merit: 1002

♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚&#

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 12:31:18 AM

BTC? why they choose btc? Its the worst investment of 2014
$ or € are more stable

THE INGENIOUS GENTLEMAN DON QUIXOTE OF LA MANCHA
♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚♝♞♜ BTC tip: 39gUUFdJBdKWXnLoh3PMNX9eUz3DwakBKq
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 02:32:59 AM

$ or € are more stable

because btc is easier to buy and send abroad than $ Huh

i think you have to fill a form or something if you want to buy large amount of $

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 03:01:24 AM

$ or € are more stable

When you buy large quantities of $ or €, you have to store them in bank accounts (You can't stuff them under your pillow!!)
This is always dangerous when the country is in a crisis and can seize assets.

With Bitcoin, you are your bank. Much safer in such a situation.
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 06:05:20 AM

maybe...

Seems like that's true. I guess there must be a big problem buying USD in Russia.
Not really. You can easily convert your ruble deposit to a dollar one just by going to your bank. Getting dollar cash might be a bit harder if there's a lack of dollars at the bank (dollars are sometimes bought faster than they are brought from bank vaults).

On the contrary, getting into Bitcoin is harder for an average Russian. There are no ATMs, so you have to use online payment systems to buy Bitcoin.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 09:35:40 AM

maybe...

Not really. You can easily convert your ruble deposit to a dollar one just by going to your bank. Getting dollar cash might be a bit harder if there's a lack of dollars at the bank (dollars are sometimes bought faster than they are brought from bank vaults).

On the contrary, getting into Bitcoin is harder for an average Russian. There are no ATMs, so you have to use online payment systems to buy Bitcoin.

Most Russians would just buy dollars and keep them in banks in neighboring countries...like Cyprus.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: