Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:39:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple has no inflation, right? Will it replace bitcoin?  (Read 2245 times)
smalltimer (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 03:43:01 PM

So bitcoin sucks due to inflation. Everyone knows it. Nobody wants to buy it. It has a bad image already and this forum is scammers protecting scammers basically.
So along comes ripple with some other crooks attached but the part they got right is the inflation-part.

So bitcoin done - ripple hello?

After all it should be investement vehicle and store of  wealth but neither ripple nor bitcoin is that.

So what we do? Nothing?

God27

Activity: 364

The 4th industrial revolution!

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 04:18:50 PM

So bitcoin sucks due to inflation. Everyone knows it. Nobody wants to buy it. It has a bad image already and this forum is scammers protecting scammers basically.
So along comes ripple with some other crooks attached but the part they got right is the inflation-part.

After all it should be investement vehicle and store of  wealth but neither ripple nor bitcoin is that.

So what we do? Nothing?

I say use your favorite cryptos on the ripple network using their new tech and go from there.  XRP can crash to $0.000001 if the US government says hey XRP needs to be capped or something you know?

fewcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2014, 04:21:48 PM

If you guys can't band together to buy bitcoin up in price then NO, No alt currencies will succeed at all, BTC is the true experiment
elinehaarbollen

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 04:22:57 PM

If you guys can't band together to buy bitcoin up in price then NO, No alt currencies will succeed at all, BTC is the true experiment

You retard , now you lost all my 'respect' sad troll.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 04:24:23 PM

So what we do? Nothing?

We? You mean what can YOU do?!
You can move out of here! Should be simple. But instead of that you and some other trolls ignored by most of us try to explain us how shitty Bitcoin is for you. Use your hidden agenda and put it where the sun is not shining. Wink

God27

Activity: 364

The 4th industrial revolution!

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 04:24:52 PM

Well Napster failed, I guess we didn't get anything positive from that whole ordeal.....

NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 04:30:14 PM

You can move out of here! Should be simple. But instead of that you and some other trolls ignored by most of us try to explain us how shitty Bitcoin is for you. Use your hidden agenda and put it where the sun is not shining. Wink

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 04:41:23 PM

You retard , now you lost all my 'respect' sad troll.

The man is a trader not a bitcoin lover.  We look through the roseist of rose coloured glasses.  Fewcoins and fallin being bullish makes me want to spend.
ParabellumLite

Activity: 560

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 04:50:43 PM

I don't really understand Ripple and XRP, but I remember reading that it is meant to compliment bitcoin and not directly compete with it. Is this true? Or will people be able to use XRP to buy goods just like BTC?

For now the goal of XRP is (and will always be) to accommodate trades within the Ripple network. Although Ripple Labs has stated over and over again that people should not invest into XRP (given the risks involved) they have however stated that they hope it will reach its own intrinsic value in the future. In that case it might as well be used to buy good, unlike BTC which has almost never been used to buy goods out there. At least when you compare the number of hodlers/traders to the people that actually use it, which remain to be an exotic, very exotic minority.

Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 04:53:15 PM

I don't really understand Ripple and XRP, but I remember reading that it is meant to compliment bitcoin and not directly compete with it. Is this true? Or will people be able to use XRP to buy goods just like BTC?

It's created out of thin air. It can be used to buy BTC  Kiss

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
sherbyspark

Activity: 910

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:09:32 PM

So what we do? Nothing?

Even CLAM has inflation Smiley
Maybe that can replace bitcoin Wink
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:25:47 PM

So what we do? Nothing?

Even CLAM has inflation Smiley
Maybe that can replace bitcoin Wink

You know what doesn't have inflation?  That's right,

Melbustus
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 06:10:49 PM

For now the goal of XRP is (and will always be) to accommodate trades within the Ripple network. Although Ripple Labs has stated over and over again that people should not invest into XRP (given the risks involved) they have however stated that they hope it will reach its own intrinsic value in the future. In that case it might as well be used to buy good, unlike BTC which has almost never been used to buy goods out there. At least when you compare the number of hodlers/traders to the people that actually use it, which remain to be an exotic, very exotic minority.

In the longrun, the case for bitcoin is as an asset that can be money, but which no one can censor/control. It needs some moderate level of merchant adoption to provide the practical economic link, but it doesn't need to replace fiat as far as everyday purchases go. XRP will never be that uncensorable value-store, since it's not decentralized in the way bitcoin is (see recent stellar/ripple core consensus alg failure).

It's actually because of that non-pure decentralization which will make banks more willing to integrate with Ripple. My intuition right now is that Ripple and Stellar will lean more and more centralized over time (for both political reasons, as well as the unfortunate fact that their consensus algorithm is broken at the core wrt meaningful decentralization), and if they become successful, they will effectively be controlled by a small number of banks who run the major gateways and validating nodes.

Which is fine; XRP and BTC don't compete in the same primary domains, even though some people right now seem to think they do. XRP competes in the domain where you want to hold XRP for just long enough to get a transaction done. If it catches on, it should be a high-velocity (which is inversely proportional to market-cap) pseudo-currency. BTC, though, ultimately competes in the gold market and stored-liquid-wealth domains, which are magnitudes larger than instantaneous high-velocity transactional demand. If you do the math for transactional demand, you get market-caps in the low tens of billions at best; the mcap for currency-as-store-of-wealth work out to hundreds of billions to low trillions (some would argue double-digit trillions).

tldr: Ripple and bitcoin do not ultimately compete because Ripple is not sufficiently decentralized. Total target/potential market-cap for BTC is orders of magnitude higher than for XRP.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 06:20:25 PM

In the longrun, the case for bitcoin is as an asset that can be money, but which no one can censor/control. It needs some moderate level of merchant adoption to provide the practical economic link, but it doesn't need to replace fiat as far as everyday purchases go. XRP will never be that uncensorable value-store, since it's not decentralized in the way bitcoin is (see recent stellar/ripple core consensus alg failure).

It's actually because of that non-pure decentralization which will make banks more willing to integrate with Ripple. My intuition right now is that Ripple and Stellar will lean more and more centralized over time (for both political reasons, as well as the unfortunate fact that their consensus algorithm is broken at the core wrt meaningful decentralization), and if they become successful, they will effectively be controlled by a small number of banks who run the major gateways and validating nodes.

Which is fine; XRP and BTC don't compete in the same primary domains, even though some people right now seem to think they do. XRP competes in the domain where you want to hold XRP for just long enough to get a transaction done. If it catches on, it should be a high-velocity (which is inversely proportional to market-cap) pseudo-currency. BTC, though, ultimately competes in the gold market and stored-liquid-wealth domains, which are magnitudes larger than instantaneous high-velocity transactional demand. If you do the math for transactional demand, you get market-caps in the low tens of billions at best; the mcap for currency-as-store-of-wealth work out to hundreds of billions to low trillions (some would argue double-digit trillions).

tldr: Ripple and bitcoin do not ultimately compete because Ripple is not sufficiently decentralized. Total target/potential market-cap for BTC is orders of magnitude higher than for XRP.

Thanks for that.  I was crafting a similar post in my head and you've saved me the effort of writing it out Smiley

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Melbustus
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 06:27:45 PM

Thanks for that.  I was crafting a similar post in my head and you've saved me the effort of writing it out Smiley

Heh... Happy to return the favor once in a while. Smiley

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
sniveling

Activity: 719

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 06:28:44 PM

Ripple (XRP) is a deflationary coin. Each transaction burns a tiny fraction of a coin so the total coin supply slowly goes down. It's such a slow process it's barely noticeable.
jook

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 07:50:11 PM

Ripple has no inflation, right? Will it replace bitcoin?

No. And you are misrepresenting the facts:

Bitcoin: About 13.6M BTC out of 21M BTC or 65% are in circulation, the remaining 35% will be distributed in the future by a transparent and clearly defined scheme.

Ripple: About 31G XRP out of 100G XRP or 31% are in circulation, the remaining 69% are held by a single for-profit business and may be distributed at any time for any reason in any way to anyone.

Holding XRP isn't favorable to holding BTC because "no inflation", actually the opposite is true. There will certainly be less inflation with BTC than is possible with XRP. BTC has a clear path, XRP is a corporate black box.
balu2

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 09:23:26 PM

if ripple did not have those deficencies it has bitcoin would be fuckered in the behind.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: