Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:24:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum 250 Btc theft, what's being done about it? Inside job?  (Read 1445 times)
cryptopaths (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Crypto Knight

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 04:39:18 PM

Paraipan a treasurer for the forum holding 250 btc allegedly died in April of 2014 since then the account has logged in multiple times which is fairly suspicious. What is being done to recover the 250 Bitcoins because this is starting to look like a scam and it could be an inside job. The management of this forum is getting sketchier and sketchier and with things getting worse I am feeling like I will have to start cleaning things up around here. Pair this scam with the complete mismanagement of the new forum software, the forums donations have been drained by incompetence and thievery.

Paraipan's btt profile:    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=29395
btt treasurer list: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=155000.0
btt donater list: https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html
profile of developer of new btt forum software: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=207730
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:29:08 PM

I think this is hardly a theft. It is possible that someone in his family has access to his bitcointalk account password, but not the private keys to the bitcoin being held for the forum.
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:38:54 PM

If Paraipan did indeed skip town with 250 BTC of the forums money, then it's an isolated incident that will probably not happen again. Theymos has since taken precautions for this sort scenario.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2014, 08:59:40 PM

Thats a bit of a stretch, account of deceased has been logged in to -> his traceable holdings for the forums have been stolen -> he's actually alive and on the run -> theymos was in on it.

Can we /foil for a moment and just look at the address of the bitcoins?

rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 10:30:49 PM

the guy is dead, leave him alone ... please stop posting such idiotic things and think with at least 2 neurons before.
i knew the guy, he was romanian like me, we was keeping in touch , he was very sick ... let him rest in peace please ...
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12976

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 04:08:41 AM

The money hasn't moved:
http://blockexplorer.com/address/1PFkqgBBrSKikyyUGDerZMfzvCNPgKrR3o

I was never able to locate his family, though I haven't had time to pursue this as much as I'd like. (The language barrier also makes this especially difficult.) If someone else wants to look into it, feel free. If the money is returned, I'd be willing to use at least 25 BTC of it to reward the people who helped recover it. However, under no circumstances should you harass his friends/family, and I'm not going to give any reward to people who do so.

Unfortunately, even if his family is located, it's likely that they won't be able to recover the BTC.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
MadZ

Activity: 908
Merit: 657

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 04:37:53 AM

the guy is dead, leave him alone ... please stop posting such idiotic things and think with at least 2 neurons before.
i knew the guy, he was romanian like me, we was keeping in touch , he was very sick ... let him rest in peace please ...

First of all , I don't think this is theft. That being said, it seems strange to me that he didn't take steps to transfer the coins to someone else after he got sick. I'm not sure how he died, but if people like you knew he was very sick beforehand, it seems a bit irresponsible to have made no plans for what unfortunately ended up happening.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 06:02:10 AM

First of all , I don't think this is theft. That being said, it seems strange to me that he didn't take steps to transfer the coins to someone else after he got sick. I'm not sure how he died, but if people like you knew he was very sick beforehand, it seems a bit irresponsible to have made no plans for what unfortunately ended up happening.
Some people think about themselves and friends and family first, not about damned money.

Leave the guy alone. Even if the Bitcoin were stolen, it is not any of your concern.
Anyhow this is up to theymos. He decides how and who keeps the money.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 06:02:31 AM

Agreed. Does not look like theft since coins haven't been moved/sold. Just strange to know that you might die from your illness and not take the steps to ensure responsibilities are taken care of.  I guess if you are that sick you could give two shits about the coins, be in denial about how serious the illness is, or created a plan to leave it for the family. Either way shitty, shitty situation.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 08:37:35 AM

I've been looking into the paraipan situation for the last six months and would appreciate any assistance if there is a family member or friend that can get me in touch of the individuals that might help lead to the recovery of this coin. I would be willing to offer my technical services as well as cover any flight arrangements for myself in this process and would give 15 BTC of the 25 BTC bounty to the person who assists in a successful recovery. All current leads have turned up dead for me.

Please note, I have some independently-gleaned information that would allow me to weed out those that are NOT friends or family or in the know of particular details of his disappearance, so you needn't waste my time.
--------------------------
He estado buscando en la situación Paraipan durante los últimos seis meses, y agradecería cualquier ayuda si hay un miembro de la familia o un amigo que me puede ponerse en contacto de las personas que podrían ayudar a conducir a la de sanar de esta moneda. Yo estaría dispuesto a ofrecer mis servicios técnicos, así como cubrir los arreglos de vuelo para mí en este proceso y le daría 15 BTC recompensa a la persona que ayuda a una recuperación exitosa. Todos los cables han aparecido muertos para mí.

Tenga en cuenta que tengo un poco de información obtenida de forma independiente, que me permitiera eliminar a aquellos que NO son amigos o familiares, por lo que no tendría que perder mi tiempo.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: