Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 04:22:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony Leaks Reveal Hollywood Is Trying To Break DNS (internet killing solution)  (Read 803 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 07:20:04 PM

Most anti-piracy tools take one of two paths: they either target the server that's sharing the files (pulling videos off YouTube or taking down sites like The Pirate Bay) or they make it harder to find (delisting offshore sites that share infringing content). But leaked documents reveal a frightening line of attack that's currently being considered by the MPAA: What if you simply erased any record that the site was there in the first place? To do that, the MPAA's lawyers would target the Domain Name System that directs traffic across the internet.

The tactic was first proposed as part of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in 2011, but three years after the law failed in Congress, the MPAA has been looking for legal justification for the practice in existing law and working with ISPs like Comcast to examine how a system might work technically. If a takedown notice could blacklist a site from every available DNS provider, the URL would be effectively erased from the internet. No one's ever tried to issue a takedown notice like that, but this latest memo suggests the MPAA is looking into it as a potentially powerful new tool in the fight against piracy.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/16/7401769/the-mpaa-wants-to-strike-at-dns-records-piracy-sopa-leaked-documents

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is Hollywood a mortal danger to the internet? If they can break it, what then? Can they use those tools to erase websites that are deemed too critical to them then? When is this going to stop?

foxbitcoin

Activity: 593
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 02:29:32 AM

I think this is how they blocked the pirate bay and the local semi-public tracker here in Iceland.
All you had to do was change to a non Icelandic DNS.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 04:25:15 AM

I think this is how they blocked the pirate bay and the local semi-public tracker here in Iceland.
All you had to do was change to a non Icelandic DNS.

We are seeing a glimpse of the things to come then...

BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 06:24:10 AM

I will tell you how I see it. this corporation is among my public enemy list since they did the rootkit in music cd. which is a breach of trust, an attempt to spy. 1. the question was it done for the Japanese gov? 2 Is it necessary to move to the dark arts to stop them definitively, I am speaking of annihilation of course. 3. so I can't buy a ps4, which angry me, what will those vicious anti market anti liberty anti respect do? I don't take chance.

split everything, tv, music, movie, gaming etc in new corporate entities, new tickers, kill all the previous executives, they betrayed their dark lords one too many.

my 0.00000001 BTC.

It's called risk suppression the hard way.

money is faster...
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 10:32:14 AM

Most anti-piracy tools take one of two paths: they either target the server that's sharing the files (pulling videos off YouTube or taking down sites like The Pirate Bay) or they make it harder to find (delisting offshore sites that share infringing content). But leaked documents reveal a frightening line of attack that's currently being considered by the MPAA: What if you simply erased any record that the site was there in the first place? To do that, the MPAA's lawyers would target the Domain Name System that directs traffic across the internet.

The tactic was first proposed as part of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in 2011, but three years after the law failed in Congress, the MPAA has been looking for legal justification for the practice in existing law and working with ISPs like Comcast to examine how a system might work technically. If a takedown notice could blacklist a site from every available DNS provider, the URL would be effectively erased from the internet. No one's ever tried to issue a takedown notice like that, but this latest memo suggests the MPAA is looking into it as a potentially powerful new tool in the fight against piracy.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/16/7401769/the-mpaa-wants-to-strike-at-dns-records-piracy-sopa-leaked-documents

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is Hollywood a mortal danger to the internet? If they can break it, what then? Can they use those tools to erase websites that are deemed too critical to them then? When is this going to stop?

Trying to get every DNS provider to agree to this would be very, very tough.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 04:14:04 PM

Trying to get every DNS provider to agree to this would be very, very tough.

How much? They are buying apps for $19 billions nowadays (facebook buying whatsapp). Nothing to do with convincing. It is about how deep Sony's pocket is.

exoton

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 07:21:10 PM

This would be easy to get around. All that someone would need to do is host a website listing the IP address of servers that host illegal files (which would not be able to be taken down by such takedown requests) and then anyone who wanted to download illegal content could point their computers to such IP addresses
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: