Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:41:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interview with johoe, the White Hat Hacker Who Returned 800+ Bitcoins.  (Read 1149 times)
sevensheeps (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 07:59:07 PM

I had to share this interview I just read on twitter!  Smiley

How did you initially discover the issue with the reused R values on Blockchain.info?

I have a script that I run regularly that scans for repeated R values. There has been another program producing them since September, so I took a habit of watching that daily. The problem is not new for me. I followed it since April 2013. The program I use is my own one, that I wrote in 2013.

What program was this, and how many bitcoins did you sweep out of those addresses?

The one in Summer 2013 was the Android bug. The buggy RNG [Random Number Generator]. I didn’t sweep much, a few mBTC. But others were doing it as well. That it was Android I only noticed when I searched for one of the broken addresses and found a post at bitcointalk. This was when I created the [bitcointalk] account. I told him that his program was buggy and asked him which [bitcoin client] he used.

Which wallet would you recommend for the average user of Bitcoin that combines security with ease of use?

For small amounts of money one can probably use everything that one finds convenient. I would suggest using some tools that use deterministic wallets, so that one doesn’t have to worry so much about backups. Of course, if one uses a program on the desktop, one should set a wallet password and keep it clean from malware. For larger amounts, that one doesn’t need to access regularly a paper wallet should be used, preferably with the key generated on an offline computer. I use my trezor for this, though.

What is your opinion on the security of Blockchain.info’s webwallet following these incidents?

The bug shows that there is a problem. The patch was changing security critical code and it should have been reviewed more thoroughly. It was just a missing variable initialisation. Careful inspection of the code should have revealed it. JavaScript is also not really meant to program security critical applications. For example, it has no type checking.

How did you verify that the addresses you sweeped were generated on Blockchain.info?

If an address was generated on Blockchain.info at that day it was produced by the random number generator, so it was in my list of random numbers. But I could also attack addresses from which money was spent on that day. In that case the signature contains one random number from my list. I actually didn’t check that I accidentally broke an address that wasn’t related to this problem. There is still some other tool producing the duplicated R values and I’m still wondering which.

But if it happened they should see the note that they should contact Blockchain support. So it is okay Smiley I’m thinking I found most of the money, but I know that 105.9 BTC were stolen already in the evening (probably by some lucky guy who accidentally created the same address).

Can you explain a bit more about this other program producing duplicated R values?

We are still wondering about it. It has a different pattern. It uses a random R value, but it uses it in one transaction for all inputs. amaclin analyzed some of the transactions and said that they spent to a BTC-e address, but we don’t know much more. Since the program is usually not reusing keys often, there have been not so many broken keys and I think only very few sweeped accounts. I think I still have 0.9 BTC from one account. So if we ever find out [which program has the issue] I will offer it back.

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/interview-johoe-hacker-returned-800-bitcoins/

Best wishes,

Seven. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 08:02:46 PM

good mind.
sevensheeps (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 08:43:18 PM

Yeah it's a good read, what a story!  Smiley It's an impressive thing for a person to do!
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2014, 08:45:33 PM

800 BTC ? damn.... getting more and more ... Shocked

busterroni

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 09:10:28 PM

Hey, that's my article! Smiley Glad you guys liked it!!
sevensheeps (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 09:17:38 PM

I really liked it, I shared it with my Twitter followers aswel. I'm glad he's on our fence  Grin

Mainstream media should report on bitcoin stories like this, don't you agree?

mlferro

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 10:53:53 PM

very nice !!

valley and very apena read

colinistheman

Activity: 872
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 11:12:01 PM

Nice to see some good-intentioned people in the bitcoin space amongst all the scammers and thieves.

You wouldn't believe how many fraudulent emails i get trying to steal my btc. It makes me kind of sick.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 11:17:28 PM

Nice interview Jonathan Smiley

cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 12:01:23 AM

bitcoin community is so lucky to have these good people

if it was a bad hacker it would have pulled 800 bitcoins  Undecided
YinShuiSiYuan

Activity: 1680
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 12:25:26 AM

I am surprised that he is as honest as he is. Most people that are running these kinds of programs are far from honest and are doing so in hopes of stealing other people's money (usually from stealing brainwallets)

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████