Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:04:18 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Handing out bitcoin in New York (1000 bits/person)  (Read 1923 times)
solled (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 08:23:54 PM

I've been handing out bitcoin in the streets of New York, 1000 bits/person. Sometimes people laugh, sometimes people are curious, many times they're just apathetic. But it's a lot of fun. We have some videos on our YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgg8PiB0kx-FelLlPUH1weQ If you're in New York and want to join us please message me--we do this in the mornings 8:30am.

Full disclosure: I started this to raise some awareness for our project coinspace.io, but totally committed to getting the word out on bitcoin for its own sake.   
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2014, 08:41:01 PM

thanks for sharing. i like that idea and your work. you spread the word  Smiley

which service do you use to setup the wallets for the strangers?

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 08:51:43 PM

I've been handing out bitcoin in the streets of New York, 1000 bits/person. Sometimes people laugh, sometimes people are curious, many times they're just apathetic. But it's a lot of fun. We have some videos on our YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgg8PiB0kx-FelLlPUH1weQ If you're in New York and want to join us please message me--we do this in the mornings 8:30am.

Full disclosure: I started this to raise some awareness for our project coinspace.io, but totally committed to getting the word out on bitcoin for its own sake.   

Nice move buddy. I wish u get some electronic media coverage while giving away free bits. That would be great for your start-up's publicity as well good for bitcoin awareness.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4528

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 09:00:34 PM

get a new sign.

"free bits of bitcoin" rather than "free bitcoin"

because its like saying dollar giveaway, or free dollar. then handing them 1cent..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
solled (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 09:43:20 PM

Thanks. We send by email through Coinbase, unless they already have a wallet. This is the fastest way and also don't end up with lost bits.
solled (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 10:26:21 PM

Nice move buddy. I wish u get some electronic media coverage while giving away free bits. That would be great for your start-up's publicity as well good for bitcoin awareness.

Thank you. I hope so too. We got a Double robot (doublerobotics.com) so someone can log in remotely from anywhere and do this with us. Let me know if you would like to try it sometime.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2014, 10:35:36 PM

Not bad at all, I think you'll need to try and simplify some of your explanations in the video though if that's you, people won't know anything about Bitcoin's backend especially if they don't have any programming knowledge, so talking about hashing and stuff will just confuse the fuck out of them.

You could also maybe hand out some leaflets if you're okay with that which have a good writeup of how Bitcoin actually works because I noticed a lot of people were just repeating what news organisations were saying.
solled (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 10:40:20 PM

get a new sign.

because its like saying dollar giveaway, or free dollar. then handing them 1cent..

Agree in theory. However saying "free bits of bitcoin" will just confuse people further. I think bitcoin should be used as a blanket term for the currency. Like "dollar" can can refer to USD and not necessary 100 cents.
mlferro

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 10:50:23 PM

congratulations for the work (initiative) !!
I hope you can get what you expect in coinspace.io project

solled (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 11:10:57 PM

Not bad at all, I think you'll need to try and simplify some of your explanations in the video though if that's you, people won't know anything about Bitcoin's backend especially if they don't have any programming knowledge, so talking about hashing and stuff will just confuse the fuck out of them.

You could also maybe hand out some leaflets if you're okay with that which have a good writeup of how Bitcoin actually works because I noticed a lot of people were just repeating what news organisations were saying.

That was my buddy Josiah with the explanations, but those people asked for it. I'm Solomon which you can see a lot in the first video in Union Square.

Having a leaflet is a great idea though. Do you know of any good 1-page summaries out there?
colinistheman

Activity: 891
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 11:15:04 PM

get a new sign.

Agree in theory. However saying "free bits of bitcoin" will just confuse people further. I think bitcoin should be used as a blanket term for the currency. Like "dollar" can can refer to USD and not necessary 100 cents.

^ agreed.

His sign is fine.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 11:36:27 PM

nice initiative, you will encorauge many people to use a bitcoin wallet,and they may want to get more bitcoins and use them  Cheesy
mercistheman

Activity: 378

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 12:04:23 AM

Someone with media relations give this man some PR... at least support the youtube vid.

Get it out there!
YinShuiSiYuan

Activity: 1680
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 12:27:42 AM

get a new sign.

When you talk about bitcoin without any specific amount, it generally means that you are discussing a unit of current, not that you are talking about "whole" amounts of bticoin (as in one bitcoin)

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 12:33:46 AM

Good job, great way to introduce people into bitcoin, even if you are mainly doing it to bring awareness to your project.  I saw some people doing something similar in Vancouver last summer.  I kinda stood off to the side for a bit and watched.  Many just kept walking, but a fair amount of people did stop and listen to what they had to say and accepted the free bits.  Hard to say what they did with them.  But even if 1 person gets on board, I'd say its a success.

I know I was highly skeptical about it at first until someone took the time to explain it to me so I could understand it.  I've nowe told numerous people about it, and a few of my friends are now into it.  Every little bit helps.
AnonBitCoiner

Activity: 1428
Merit: 326

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 06:08:09 AM

That's really cool! You're getting tips from other viewers too, I can see haha. Stuff like this really helps to promote awareness

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 12:45:35 PM

Thanks. We send by email through Coinbase, unless they already have a wallet. This is the fastest way and also don't end up with lost bits.

This is very important, if you spread paper-wallets, some people might just throw them away and that's like throwing money away, this way you get the word out and only people who are interested get their bits. Great initiative.

Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 01:07:25 PM

Just a simple thought... maybe you should put in some marketing words like saying "free coins with potential thousand dollars value". That will at least grab some attention

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 01:28:06 PM

i would be cool if you can give the people also a small (and easy!) handout which explains what bitcoin is. it must be very simple.

Smiley

solled (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 02:36:38 PM

1000 bits = 0.001 BTC = 0.3118 USD

I think that's crazy idea.
Which wallet do you set ?

Email via Coinbase. Most people won't give you the time to start downloading an app.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: